Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Just picked up a traditions pioneer muzzel loader & looking for info

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Just picked up a traditions pioneer muzzel loader & looking for info

I just picked this up with some other guns the other day apparently it's never been shot
    The date looks like 1995 on it and it's got really nice wood. I'm impressed with the quality even though it's a traditions. It's a 50.cal with a 1 in 32 twist. Normally traditions are the bottom of the line imo but this seems like a pretty nice quality firearm. I've been muzzle load hunting since 91' but have always had in lines. Any tips and if this a decent percussion gun? Is it know for accuracy? I have a little surface rust to clean off from it sitting it the safe for the last couple decades.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-27-2021 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Master

sweet!
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Very nice looking. Only way to tell if it is accurate is if you shot it. Looks like a conical bullet twist, so start there. Hornady great plains bullet with an overpowder wad and 70 or 80 grains of 2F is where I would start, unless you cast. If you cast, get a 50 cal maxi ball mold and try those.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Grand Master

You should be able to do PRBs with light loads. I'd start a little bit lighter loads for conicals, maybe 50-60 gr and work up.
    Aim small, miss small!

I'll have to look around for a maxi ball or great plains type mold. I have some rounds balls in a kit i bought it with.

Any sources where I can find load data? Did some reading and from what I see I could use saboted ammo, conical, or balls with the 1/32 twist. I would assume loose powder only...no pellets?

Boolit Master
    Use loose powder. 40 gr on up look for a accurate load . It’s usally way before the now normal 100 gr load. 40 to 60 gr is usally good

I emailed traditions asking for an old owners manual with suggested minimum to max load data to make sure I don’t hot rod it. Most load data i see says 80 to 120 grains of loose powder. I have plenty of 250 and 300 grain shock waves laying around from my in-line I’ll have to try as well. I watched Hickok45 on YouTube shooting a hawkin. He never cleaned the barrel in between shots using a round ball and a patch. I’m use to cleaning my barrel after every shot with saboted ammo. I would guess there is no need to clean between shots when using round balls and conicals for ultimate accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I would guess there is no need to clean between shots when using round balls and conicals for ultimate accuracy?

I would plan to run a patch or two between shots for best accuracy. When I am shooting for fun I will generally run a damp patch followed by a dry one about every three shots, which is about what I find to be necessary using a grease patch. I know plenty of shooters use a water and ballistol mix on their patches and apparently need no cleaning between shots, but I would not be too crazy about such a patch lube for hunting and my muzzleloaders are all intended as hunting pieces as well as fun shooters.

I always run a wet and then dry patch after every shot in my in-line. I was just kinda shocked watching a YouTuber not cleaning between shots with RBs.

I once shot a percussion rifle with round ball as many times as I could without wiping using Alliant Black MZ (AKA American Pioneer Powder). I think I got to a dozen shots before I felt the need to wipe. Real black gets a little tough after 4 or 5 shots using a grease patch.