RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some insight into my degree of choice.

Boolit Buddy

Need some insight into my degree of choice.

I'm currently in school to get an Associates of Applied Science in Accounting(A.A.S. Accounting).

I've been wondering lately though, what types of jobs are out there for someone with this degree?

I have an uncanny sense for numbers and how they work, the main reason that I chose this degree.

What can I do with it? I've glanced around some of the career websites and seen that the majority of the jobs offered in accounting want a Bachelor's Degree as part of their qualification set.

Any insight, I'm still early enough in that I can change degree plans if I have to, I just don't want to get stuck with a useless degree, doing manual labor, and I don't have the capability of pursuing a Bachelor's in the foreseeable future.
    I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

My Feedback Thread<->http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7793-possom813

Boolit Grand Master

First, Possom, realize that "what the majority of jobs offered want" and what they will take often are completely different. Don't be afraid of asking for a job that is above your "qualifications" if you can do it. Don't be afraid to start below and work up, either. You won't find training much more useful than accounting and math, but an AA degree in almost anything only prepares you for more training. Look for a job in big industry or city/state work that offers an education benefit. They are common. This provides you the capability to pursue that elusive Bachelor's degree.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    A BA in Accounting would be much better for finding a job.

I am going to say this and I hope it doesn't come across as snarky, not intended that way. Did you investigate the job possibilities before deciding on this degree program? I always suggest you have an end game before starting a degree, what are you going to do with it?

I am sure others will flame me for this but the days in which an associates degree mattered much are done. So many out there have a bachelors degree that the associates degree isn't worth much any more. I think they are pushed by community colleges to boost enrollment.

Start looking for jobs everywhere. Search high and low. Never give up. In the end you will be a book keeper somewhere. Maybe a place that does payroll for large groups of people?

Boolit Master
    Brother I have a degree in philosophy. It just depends on what you want to do. If you are set on accounting get a B.A. Especially in this economy an associates might as well be written in crayon.

INTERNSHIPS. Since you will likely have ZERO experience in this field when you graduate I can not stress how important these are. Along the same lines and also unpaid is volunteering for your community. Shows that you have a life outside of school and are a contributing member of society.

Be active AND in a leadership role in clubs. Start your own to be the president if you have to. Very important!!!

Good luck my man.

Colleges apparently are so desperate they are starting to "make up" degrees to draw in students and make them think they are gaining an edge. Often it is just the opposite. I have some nieces that hold 3-4 degrees each..........All of them in themselves worthless for any job market. I remember a local students (hockey player) "degree" listed as "Introduction to Entreprenureship". That was the name of the degree.............. What the heck is that and why wouldn't a simple business degree be just as valuable.............?

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Try not to have, too big of bill$$$ when your finished Good luck
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Accounting is based upon what has happened, and not upon what is going to happen. A general purpose math degree would be preferable for the latter. Playing both ends towards the middle, consider obtaining skills in computer programming with emphasis on web-based applications. ... felix
    felix

Banned

You should be able to get a job as a bookkeeper. Pay will not be great. Networking is a good idea. Also, taking or learning Spanish will be a big plus. A math/accounting BS would be a good goal. You could be a teacher or go for CPA. Math majors are in demand for teaching. I wish I liked "numbers." Just learning to speak Spanish will get you further here in California than most anything short of a BS/BA.

Boolit Master

All the advise above is solid. Find the job now you can live with and will position you to get the BA/BS which will open the door to a CFO position then decide if you would like to be in the public/private or profit/non-profit arenas.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    Look in state government jobs. They often hire "accounting technicians" which have less requirements and pay fairly well.

Boolit Master

And I don't believe a degree is necessary for you to become a CPA. Having that certification is a pretty good plus.

My oldest son helped a chum do his taxes one year. Rick went on to learn Excel, and found a part-time job as bookkeeper/transportation clerk for a custom motorcycle parts house. Started also doing other folks taxes. Became a financial consultant and was head-hunted into a position with a financial consultancy house. And along the way, earned a PhD in Music. He was a published and performed composer.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Associates of Applied Science in Accounting(A.A.S. Accounting) -- What school? Accredited? Transferable credits? MBA's are a dime a dozen now. Physics, math? Depends on your goals. If you do want to do accounting (bookkeeping), find a GOOD business school. When jobs get tight, the trend, a B.S. may keep you employed, an A.S most likely won't. I was talking to a car sales guy last week, found he graduated from MU @ Jeff City. I asked what his degree was -journalism! - probably cost $100K. Use your $$ and time wisely, we don't have much of it. accounting technicians insurance industry uses a lot of them. a degree is necessary for you to become a CPA Not always a requirement, but how else will you learn enough to pass the test? Accounting is NOT about math, it is about the rules, auditing and business law. Computers do the math(add & subtract)
    Last edited by popper; 06-19-2013 at 11:41 AM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Associates in accounting sounds like Bookkeeper to me. If you're really good at it maybe you should be aiming higher at something that will lead you into getting your CPA. disclaimer; I couldn't tell you what the education requirements are for CPA but heard it was a BS.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Grand Master

I wonder how many really find jobs related to their college degree or if all that mattered for the job was a degree, any degree? I only worked a few years in my major and after that only having a degree mattered. Of three kids with college degree's only one works in her major, one having a degree was needed and the other didn't need a degree.

Larry Gibson

First of all, I congratulate you on knowing what you're interested in.
    Now the bummer. An associates degree will get you a job as a paperwork preparer at an accounting firm.
    For serious work you'll need an MA and a CPA or at least an BA and a JD. I work at a state research university that has a business college. I get to talk to the student employees.

Please consider teaching math.
    Since you said
    I have an uncanny sense for numbers and how they work,
    A computer can crunch numbers faster than you can. A computer can drill students. A computer can not, however, Teach.

Also consider that you are part of the first wave that may live to 100 with good health extending to your 90s. Your working life will probably see many changes, in any case. I'm a computer tech. When I was in college, the whole university had four computers. I care for 700.

Boolit Grand Master

Consider manual labor first... I did a lot of manual labor to earn a degree and came out owing nothing and ready to go to work. My daughter wanted an easy no dirt job and is now a Lawyer with 100,000 dollars of debt. Dn't be afraid to shovel manure to get what you really want.

Boolit Master

I highly recommend the BA if you can pull it off. I'm a CPA and I don't see many with associates degrees at my clients, even in the entry level positions.

On the plus side, there are lots of accounting jobs out there.

KCSO has the very best advice; manual labor. Learn a trade, eg. plumbing, heat and air/ sheet metal fabrication, welding etc. Jobs requiring these skills are going begging and many firms will train you at their expense and pay you while you are learning. These guys are making $50K to start.

Boolit Buddy
    Just a bit more info.

I'll be 32 at the end of the month.

I tried plumbing, I don't like being in the confined spaces with excrement, not enough cash in the world to pay me to that day to day.
    I've done roofing, not a bad gig, pays well, but if I were to continue with that, I'm going to buy the equipment and hire someone else to do the work.
    I've worked in manufacturing at different companies for several years
    I've been a correctional officer for last few years

My childhood dream of, 'What do you want to be when you grow up?" has always been a teacher. Unfortunately, real life got in the way, got married, dropped out of college, and went to work.

Now I have a brief opportunity to pursue a short-term degree, and I don't know when I'd be able to complete a Bachelor's program.

The school is Navarro Junior College, Texas A&M Commerce.
    I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

My Feedback Thread<->http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7793-possom813

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Heck, if I was good at numbers, I would look at being an engineer. Build stuff, then blow it up! Opportunities for inside and outside work.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!