RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Anybody use a Weaver scope with fine crosshairs with a dot?

Boolit Master

Anybody use a Weaver scope with fine crosshairs with a dot?

I've been leaning toward a Weaver scope for my 308, I was wandering if anybody uses the fine crosshairs with the center dot? Can you give me a little input on the classic V model?

Boolit Master
    I had a lyman with fine cross hairs and dot. If we are talking about the real fine cross hairs with maybe a 1/8 or 1/4 minute dot and I think you are. I used to have a lot of trouble keeping the rifle level with the really fine cross hairs. A lot of benchrest shooters use this type of setup but wasn't for me. I have a lyman all american 10x with adjustable objective that I use on my martini 22. It doesn't have the really fine cross hairs. In leupold scopes i have an old 3.5 to 10x with no clicks which would tell you its pretty old. It had regular cross hairs not fine ones. That sat on a sendero in 308 and until I started playing around with different loads worked ok. On my sako 75 in 30-06 has finer cross hairs but not the really fine ones. That scope on that rifle was and is really great. If I were you get in contact with weaver or leupold and see what cross hair thickness they make and try to see which thickness would be right for you. Sometimes too fine just doesn't work as a buddy found out as
    he could never get repeatable accuracy with the really fine cross hairs. I'm 67 and have cataracts so really fine cross hairs aren't for me. Frank

Boolit Master

I appreciate the advice Frank, I think you are correct with the fine crosshairs. I believe for me the plex will serve me better after reading your post and going back to check what they look like. Maybe I'll find one soon that suits me.

I had a Weaver with a small dot on my Remington 722 in 222remington mag. I really liked it. Very fast so it made shooting running rabbits easy. But to each his own.

Boolit Master
    A lot of the benchrest shooters use scopes with very fine crosshairs. I have looked through their scopes and for me they are so fine and the dot so small it was worthless to me. But them guys shoot bug hole groups and they do it a lot. I had a lyman 20x supertarget and besides the very fine crosshairs the eye relief was so short I was getting scratches on the lenses on my eye glasses. The redfield 3200 that I kept does not have very fine cross hairs and the eye relief is much better. The best external scope that I ever used was the unertl. I had a 24x super programmer and besides the optics the cross hairs were great and eye relief was all that one could wish for. Try finding one in good shape today. Frank

Boolit Master
    I have two steel-tube Weavers, a K-8 and a K-10 that have fine crosshairs and a fine dot. I've never had any particular trouble seeing the crosshairs or the dot with the shooting I do with them.

Boolit Master

+1 on the Weaver K-8/K-10. They have fine crosshairs and the fine dot. Good for target shooting at 100 yds WITH the right target. Center black must match the dot diameter at 100 yds.

The scopes with fine crosshairs & small dots are target scopes & are excellent at what they are designed for. They also work extremely well in open areas like fields, open urban areas, etc. I use sightron's with the fine crosshair/dot combo instead of weavers, use a 36x for bench work & 2 6-24x44 scopes for silhouettes.

I do have a small weaver with a dot reticle on 1 of my favorite squirrel rifles. Just put the dot on the ear & touch it off. A 1950's anschutz full stock with an old weaver k3 with a dot reticle.

Attachment 74565

If your using/shooting into a lot of brush or clutter the dot becomes hard to see. For these situations I like to use a plex reticle that has heavy lines & then thinner lines in the center or a mil-dot scope.

Something to think about:
    If you use a scope with thick crosshairs they will work at close range or @ close range in clutter/brush. But try putting those same thick crosshairs on something that's out there 600/700yds like a p-dog or a target or a human silhouette target & you'll find that the crosshairs will completely cover the target up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    The scopes with fine crosshairs & small dots are target scopes & are excellent at what they are designed for. They also work extremely well in open areas like fields, open urban areas, etc. I use sightron's with the fine crosshair/dot combo instead of weavers, use a 36x for bench work & 2 6-24x44 scopes for silhouettes.

I do have a small weaver with a dot reticle on 1 of my favorite squirrel rifles. Just put the dot on the ear & touch it off. A 1950's anschutz full stock with an old weaver k3 with a dot reticle.

Attachment 74565

If your using/shooting into a lot of brush or clutter the dot becomes hard to see. For these situations I like to use a plex reticle that has heavy lines & then thinner lines in the center or a mil-dot scope.

Something to think about:
    If you use a scope with thick crosshairs they will work at close range or @ close range in clutter/brush. But try putting those same thick crosshairs on something that's out there 600/700yds like a p-dog or a target or a human silhouette target & you'll find that the crosshairs will completely cover the target up.
    Weaver also has their "varmint dot" which might be the best of both worlds. It's a cross between the fine x with center dot (like the "T" series), but it also has the thicker outside stadia of a plex reticle......

Dan

I bought a KT 16 Weaver at an auction several years ago and sent it to Lee Dot in Alabama and had a 1/8" dot put on the crosshairs due to the hairs being so fine. I think it did the job for me as I can take out any varmint within sight. I had a Weaver K10 on a Rem. 700 in 22-250 back in the 60's that had fine x-hairs which I could see then but alas not now. I would have to say it made it possible for me to use again. I agree with Forrest r it needs to be used in the open and not in thick brushy areas.
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Master
    I have 2 4x scopes with very fine crosshairs and a dot. One dot is very fine and would get lost in the brush. The other is the opposite. Hard to miss a great big dot that is 6-8 moa across, but it makes for fast shots. Put the dot on boiler room or shoulder of deer and pull the trigger. The fine cross hairs were pretty much for sighting in and load testing on a target with a square grid since the dot covers a much bigger chunk of paper than the group. Only good for <100 yards or so, at 200 it covers half the deer's body.

Boolit Buddy
    I had 2 weaver V16 both with fine crosshairs and a dot ,both excellent scopes. My problem, old eyes I could not see the sight system in the woods. At the range or open field I could use them they were great. tks ken

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I don't understand why folks DON'T skip the use of crosshairs, dots, et.al. while snap shooting, or hunting for that matter. Placing the target in the middle of the viewing area is sufficient for a "kill". It's much faster psychologically anyway. Accuracy will be exact when the center of the scope matches the center of the crosshairs while having the gun perfectly square with the ground as per sight-in. Not so? Then the gun is NOT "sighted in" and all shots made by default will be made by guesstimation. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    Anybody have an old T-6 or T-10 El Paso version they want to "dump" ?

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator