MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: What do you folded tips?

Boolit Master

What do you folded tips?

I just recently made up a few hundred 55 gn HP's with 22LR brass and I always end up with a few with the tips that fold over. Now, I annealed the brass so I could pinch it in my fingers. So don't bust my chops. No matter what, I always get some.

A few months back a member needed some projectiles to fire form some brass. Being as these were not going to be shot for accuracy I figured these would be perfect. I dug them out of my scrap bin,and away they went. He got bullets to fire form some brass, and I got to use some bullets I never thought would see the inside of a barrel.

Something to think about the next time it happens. I figure with all the new die sets coming to new homes soon, I would give the "newbies", a use for the inevitable rejects. I now have a bin set aside just for the rejects, I'll be donating them for someone in need.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    i think i read about this today in a thread... too much lube?

Vendor Sponsor

Very good use of blemished bullets! As for what causes it...... well???? could be many factors. I have found Federal brand cases more likely to fold over then any others.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master
    When using CCI, I very rarely get a folded tips. On the other hand Wolf and Lapua are more likely to have folded tips for me. I am getting ready to run some Federal. We will see what happens. Lizard333 is right, folded tips are inevitable.

Boolit Buddy

Just my observation, but looking close at about 100 cases ready to run into the point forming die I saw a few that had the neck "nicked", probably from ejection in a semi-auto. These cases were much more likely to fold at the tip.

Boolit Buddy
    I seem to get them randomly no mater what case I am using. I think it is caused from the brass not being perfectly concentric. thinner on one side than the other or some other anomaly possibly from the origional crimp on the bullet or a nick etc. I just throw them in a bucket after I cut them in half with a side cutter and remelt (lead comes out easier when remelted if you cut them in half first).
    Bret

Boolit Master
    here it is, the thread i was reading about this:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=22+derim+die

although i have not yet swaged 22LR cases, i am getting ready to start making my dies soon so this thread interests me... looks like the main culprits were:

-too much lube

-inadequate annealing

-not enough lead in the tip, use a larger core

Boolit Master

can you post a photo of what you mean by "folded tips"

thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Too much lube will create dents (hydraulic) due to trapped lube. Inadequate annealing as well as not enough lead in the tip can be reasons for tips folding but once you have all that nailed down and you are forming tips properly you still get the occasional folded tip which is what I was refering to above.
    Bret

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin7mm View Post
    Too much lube will create dents (hydraulic) due to trapped lube. Inadequate annealing as well as not enough lead in the tip can be reasons for tips folding but once you have all that nailed down and you are forming tips properly you still get the occasional folded tip which is what I was refering to above.
    Bret
    This is what happens to me. I like the theory of the jackets not being concentric. Makes the most sense. We are firing a shell casing out of a barrel.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

PIX ? ? ?

It sounds to me like the jacket is too long.

This is uncommon with commercial jackets but I would expect to see a lot of variation in .22LR cases.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    something like this?

from this thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=derim+22+die

I test fired mine along with perfect bullets and they were just as accurate

Boolit Master

That is not at all like what I remember when I was swaging.
    I don't know what could cause that.

But, It reminds me of one of the first "rules" I learned about accuracy.

Damage at the tip of the bullet has very little affect on accuracy.
    My first big rifle was a custom 98 Mauser in .270 Winchester.

If you loaded 4 in the magazine and one in the chamber, by the time the bottom round made it to the chamber the bullet looked like it had been whacked four times with a hammer. It would be seriously deformed by hitting the front of the magazine under recoil.

The seriously deformed tips still shot to the same point of aim.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    Damage at the tip of the bullet has very little affect on accuracy.
    It is not that it has little effect on accuracy as much as it has little effect before it goes sub sonic. The base of the projectiles has more effect on accuracy from the go than the tip as long as the meplat is under .075, if memory serves me right.

This is why you can make 22lr brass into great projectiles as long as the firing pin does not make too big of a mark or indent into the brass when fired through your 22 long rifle.

Look, you can mess up the tip of the projectile on brass or copper but 1 of the reasons copper jackets shoot better IS because no firing pin mark is present at the base of the jacket.

Yes, there are other factors as to why copper jackets are more accurate but that is another day!
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor