Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bull Plate Lube....Test Report

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JDL
    Bullshop,
    What kind of velocity do you run this lube to? Thanks -JDL
    JDL
    I have run it past the limit of the alloy, up to 3000 fps and maintaned a clean shiney spotless bore.
    BIC/BS

David R

I see you using Lyman 311410 which I have poor luck with

can you supply some load data? I cant even find paper using it w/ SKS

I hafta use Lee .311 2R 155 gr slug which is reel nice cept it's a single cavity mould. My .311410 is two cavity and it's a NICE looking bullet

Yodar

Yodar, with the Bruce B method I have cast like 350 boolits an hour with a single cavity mold. That is quite a bit of shootin. It looks sad compared to using a six banger but is still a nice sized pile of boolits. Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Buddy
    I've got to add my plug in for Bullshop's Sprue Plate lube; while I am still very much a novice at this game, the instructions were simple enough that even I could figure them out. The product completely cured my problems w/my 358477, so much so that it is now part of my portable casting box, (a necessity when your casting bench is your tailgate). To date I've only used it on two moulds, the above and a S/C 3118, but it works great for me. Probably the best thing I've bought in quite awhile, thanks for putting out a good product.

-Klaus

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by klausg
    I've got to add my plug in for Bullshop's Sprue Plate lube; while I am still very much a novice at this game, the instructions were simple enough that even I could figure them out. The product completely cured my problems w/my 358477, so much so that it is now part of my portable casting box, (a necessity when your casting bench is your tailgate). To date I've only used it on two moulds, the above and a S/C 3118, but it works great for me. Probably the best thing I've bought in quite awhile, thanks for putting out a good product.

-Klaus
    kLAUS
    You are very welcome, and thank you for the favorable report. Havnt had anyone try it complain about it, just a few stubborn oldies that believe its an answer to a non problem so will never try it. There are many ways to lube a mold this one makes it easy and works well. I like the way it works on the little Lee molds. It makes the alignment surfaces just slip together easily.
    I use it in 100% of my casting on all my molds and I cast about 5 days a week now that should tell ya something.
    BIC/BS

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I got two bottles of it. Gave one to a friend, since it worked so well. I am happy with it. Does as advertised, and I can't ask for more!

This has been an unsolicited plug. Use it as you will

Bic/BS

I am going to place my order for a few bottles.

Don

Boolit Bub
    Used it on Lee molds that tend to get "sticky" after a while. Ran smooth as silk thru 1500 round balls.

Boolit Buddy

Bull Plate Lube

It works too well.

Once at the start of a casting session, I cut the sprue and opened the mould while the bullets were still liquid. I had lead smeared all over the faces of the Lee six cavity mould. The bits were easy to pick off but I had to wait for the mould to cool first.

No smears on the sprue plate, though.

It is very good stuff.
    Jacketed bullets, what a relic. A throwback to the twentieth century. Real men shoot cast.

A lifetime of happiness in five simple steps:
    Kiss French, ride German, shoot Swiss, eat Italian, drink Scotch.

I just yesterday evening fired up my lead pot, got out my Lyman #429421 four banger mold and went to work.

After 20 years of boolit casting, I've delt with all the lead smear & sprue plate cutter problems I care to remember.

I followed the instructions precisely.

My sprue plate has NEVER swung so freely out of the way, nor did I find a speck of lead on either the mold top or bottom of the sprue plate.

I'M SOLD ON IT!!! (Glad I ordered 2 bottles when I ordered this wonderful stuff).

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Murphy!
    Kick backs forthcoming.
    BIC/BS

G'day Bullshop,

As a beginner gathering all the gear required to start casting, I'm liking the reports on your Bull Plate Lube. Received my first mold in the mail today... Lee 6-cavity PRS45-250 BigLube for BP.

Would like to try some if possible.

Thanks,

Mucus
    "Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."

Boolit Master
    BS Mom left for fairbanks today to be available when her time comes. She is dew about the 1'st. Orders will not be running quite as efficiantly as normal until she gets back and feels up to it. Anybody can order anything they want but if your in a hurry you will be disapointed.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Family first Dan, we all understand heer, good luck with it. I'm about to set up my casting gear again (can't get in the garage hardly at the moment, I'll have to send you an order. Mick.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    another resounding YES!
    I BOUGHT BACK WHEN IT FIRST CAME OUT BUT DID NOT USE TILL RECENTLY.

A LEE 22 CAL BATOR , A LBT 432 280 AND A THE GB LEE 8MM 175 SIX BANGER.

FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS...AND IT WORKS, PLAIN AND SIMPLE!

THIS IS FAST, FAST FAST!

NO SLOWING DOWN TO COOL OR WAITING FOR THE SPRUE TO HARDEN...

CAST, CUT, DROP AND REFILL
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Has anybody tried using a mold heater to keep the mold at a temp where the casting is optimized? I use mostly single cavity molds, but it should work with any mold/ heater combination that fit each other.
    I made mine out of one of those cheap little Lee electric pots that they used to make. I took the pot apart and made the heating element into a flat coil to set the mold on. It's still attached to the temp control so you can turn the heat up and down. My casting technique includes setting the mold on the heater while I inspect the previous bullet prior to opening the mold. I then immediately pour the next bullet, and reprat the process. It does allow one to cast at as low a temp as does not freeze up the spout on a bottom pour.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Tried Bull Plate Lube for the first time with my favorite Lyman 314299 DC. I try to run my moulds 700-750 F, and am impatient, so smearing is a way of life to me. I followed the clear instructions exactly and it worked very well. Dan isn't kidding when he says a LITTLE dab will do you. I lowered the Q-tip until the cotton barely touched the surface, leaving maybe 1/4 of the cotton damp. That was plenty, and there was some excess to wipe off. The sprue plate never before slid so smoothly as it does now. After about 100 casts there was a little smear on the top of the blocks and bottom of the sprue plate. I renewed the BPL and within two casts the smear was gone! After about 160 casts, Mrs. curmudgeon came out to talk. After she went back in the house, I started up again, but a mould handle broke. I recognize two omens when I see them, so I quit for the day. Can't wait to give BPL another try, it feels like I am casting faster and with less effort. A preliminary check of the pile of boolits looks very good. BPL does everything claimed, plus. Not only prevents smears, but cleans them up!
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Master

Smile BPL the Cat's Keister

I had the misforturne of getting a Lee 6 Banger made on Friday afternoon. It worked fine for the first 600 boolits. Then I started to get binding on the front alightment pin and flashing on the boolits. I stopped to let it cool off and check it out. I was casting at 750 deg on my Lee 4-20 with my RCBS thermometer in the pot to keep an eye on things every so often. When the mold cooled enuf to examine I found that the silly thing had a gap between holes 5 and 6 of .005 measured with a feeler gauge. 4 and 5 were .004 and so on. The silly thing had warped and the pin did not easily release the mold or allow it to close properly. I called Midway and they said send it back. They sent me a new one and I smoked it good. Cast a few until the mold was good and hot. Left in a load and applied BPL to the top of the mold and the sprue plate. I lubed the pins and bolts and went to town. I would cast from front to back from the bottom pour pot and waited only until the color of the sprue started to change. The boolits were soft and there was not any tearing of the bottom of the boolits when I operated the sprue plate. I got no lead smearing on the tops of the mold nor the sprue plate. The boolts dropped from the mold like crazy and I only had to shake the mold a little if one or two hung up. I did not have to use the mallet or anything else to get them to drop. It was a pleasure to use this product and it is part of my casting box now. I ended up getting 24 to 30 keepers every minute until my back got too sore to continue. My take was about 2 gallons of .452 Lee LSWC's with only a few culls.
    This Dan thanks the Alaskan Dan for a fine product at a reasonable price.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master at heavens range
    A fellow on here gave me a little bottle of this stuff for a sample, I ran 2 Lee six c avity - 45 cal. molds for 2 weeks and made 10,380 bullets. I put the molds on a hot plate to get hot, Almost evertime when I started I put the plate lub. on and think sometimes it was to much already, I never had no trouble with lead flashing.Wished we had it 40 years ago. Now I need the address again, I lost it. Thanks- Smokemjoe

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by smokemjoe View Post
    A fellow on here gave me a little bottle of this stuff for a sample, I ran 2 Lee six c avity - 45 cal. molds for 2 weeks and made 10,380 bullets. I put the molds on a hot plate to get hot, Almost evertime when I started I put the plate lub. on and think sometimes it was to much already, I never had no trouble with lead flashing.Wished we had it 40 years ago. Now I need the address again, I lost it. Thanks- Smokemjoe
    Click on Bullshop at the bottom of this page. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast