Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: HFPC Boolits..Piglet Method

Banned

"Am I right in that?"

That is my understanding. But I'm still in the info gathering stage. I need oven, and hardware "cloth." You are set up to try any method except electrostatic PC gun method I assume. I'm sure the Hi-Tek method will work well for you. If you try the Piglet PC method I'd go with Powder by the Pound and and laquer thinner.

Love Life
    I may play with the powder coating method just to see if I can, but I'll be playing with the HI-TEK first.

Are there any abrasives in the powder coat? Most metal I have that has been powder coated felt abrasive to the touch. Something along the lines of 1500 grit paper. Are these slick and smooth to the touch?

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Are there any abrasives in the powder coat? Most metal I have that has been powder coated felt abrasive to the touch. Something along the lines of 1500 grit paper. Are these slick and smooth to the touch?
    I can't speak for the piglet method, as I ES spray mine, but the powder and bake is the same. They are slick and smooth. No abrasives.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	550 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	77295
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Love Life
    Thank you. Nice knife by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Do the imperfections cause any issues at pistol ranges? Do they lead to leading or reduce accuracy? Not like I would notice reduced accuracy though!!

From what I read through here, it seems the imperfections caused by the mesh are a non issue, and only a cosmetic issue for people.

Am I right in that?
    It's only cosmetic to me. I haven't sat down shot a group, but I don't have the patience for that kind of Shooting. I can tell you that shooting steel at speed my hit ratio is the same. I can still hit a head shot at 20 yards on an IPSC target on the clock. That's all I care about.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

I have been absent from our discussion for a few days. WOW. That is all I can say. WOW.
    For grins and giggles, let me re state a thing or two. First, the con man/ magic box thing. Very few people are really knowledgeable about chemistry. Myself included. I can barely spell. I used to know folks who actually sold paint to hardware stores for about three times the retail price of regular paint. The store owners were shown some pretty ordinary paint that would do some things that looked pretty extra ordinaryduring the demonstration, I. e the "magic box". The hardware store owner, an unwitting shill, was supposed to sell the paint to farmers as a special new technological breakthrough. " paint your barn roof with this once and forever". Was it good stuff? Sure it was. It was every bit as good as the paint right beside it on the hardware store shelf It might have even been a little better. The problem was the paint and the "coating" were basically the same thing, the difference being that one was available to everyone for 20 cents on the dollar compared to the other , "break through" product.

I worked exactly one day for a home improvement company. They sold replacement windows that were made of "optical float glass" . I watched a sales trainer sell a pensioner some replacement windows for his home. They cost so much he had to get a loan, secured by his house, available from the home improvement company of course, to pay for them. I was literally sick at my stomach, and never went back. Were those windows better, with the " optical float glass"? I am sure they were. Rainex would make any window look as good as the demonstration made the "optical float glass" look. I hope the sales trainer sleeps very well at night. I know I couldn't have. That kind of thing literally made me sick at my stomach.

I have no reason to believe Hi Tek is the kind of operation I mentioned above. I certainly hope their coating is worth the difference in price. I may even try it myself. But not until I have figured out what it is and how it works, and if there is an alternative. $68 a Liter? How much is that a gallon? 270 something? Again, all I can say is WOW. A liter will coat thirty thousand bullets? Good. Is it a "good deal"? Not if something else will coat a similar amount, and cost $30 a gallon. I may be saying " Wow! How do they sell that stuff for $300 a gallon? " before long. I hope Me " doing my homework" doesn't offend anyone. You never know, I might be a better "singer" than TREVOR before long.

I do not apologize about my comment about Australian made goods, if the Hi Tek coating is actually made in Australia. Australia is a friend of the U.S. But that may not always be true. HF powder is made in India if I am not mistaken, which is also a problem for me. The current government in Washington, as well as the last several administrations have pursued a foreign policy that is very unpopular, even with Australians and Indians who have traditionally been our very good friends. Personally, I cast my own bullets because I do not want to be dependent on big companies, unsure supply lines, and unknown chemical formulas.

TO sum it all up, I would gladly become a happy customer if I were sure I couldn't go buy something as good, or almost as good at the local hardware store. As far as comments about this thread being just for The Piglet method, well, " The wicked flee when none pursue" . We aren't putting down or building up anyone's product or method, basically just reporting results from our own pitiful tinkering. Folks will find Americans, especially Hill Billies (I wear that moniker with pride) just don't naturally trust Lawyers, educated people, foreigners, or anyone who tries to sell us something we don't understand. Ignorance isn't anything to be ashamed of. I can cure my own ignorance with a book or two. Gullibility [I]is[I] something to be ashamed of. A little skepticism will soon be overcome if the new idea or product has merit.

And that is all I have to say about that, ever.

Except one last " WOW".

Boolit Master
    G'day Docmagnum357.
    Mate. No worries. As I have said before.. if the powdercoat floats your boat, then good onya. I hope you get great results with it.
    I tried some powdercoat yesterday afternoon. I got some black from the local powdercoater ( we can't walk in to a store and just buy powdercoat like you lot can).
    I mixed it into Acetone as per previous posts. It turned clumpy in the bottle. I shook it forever before it started to un-clump.

Added 200 9mm 120 conicals to the bucket and added PC while shaking them.
    It looked to be coated OK. tipped them out onto a drying tray and the coating was lumpy. when placed in the oven they seemed to cook ok, but they had lump as if they were covered in warts. when I took the trays out of the oven, the PC was soft and has marks where they were stuck to the trays.
    The issue may have been the type of powder. I don't know.
    I'm leaving the PC acetone mix to stad for awhile to see if the clumpyness will go out of it.

But, in the mean time, I will continue with the HTS method.

BTW... My grandfather fought with "Yanks" in WW2 in the pacific Islands. My Uncle was in Vietnam with the "Yanks". My nephew is currently in Afganistan with the "Yanks". So, Yes. There is a very strong bond between America and Australia for me. I work in an industry where there is a lot of smoke and mirror con artists getting around. It boils down to believe nothing you have not actually tried yourself. I have used coated bullets for 17 years as a IPSC shooter. Now I tried the HTS coating for myself and have found it to give the results I want. I intend to continue to try the PC coating ( I have the rest of 1 Kg so gotta use it for something) and see if It will work as stated here.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Ausglock; 07-28-2013 at 06:34 AM.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    "HF powder is made in India if I am not mistaken,"

Sir, you are mistaken.
    Harbor Freight Powder Coat powder is made in CHINA.
    Well at least the bottle of red I have says "Made in China" on the label.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

I looked up the UPC code on my jugs of HF, made in india, or at least imported from there. Not really important. Anyway, tried the HF red & xylene, xylol today (from a big box store). OK, I added a little acetone too. Dissolved real well but it is really thin, watery and I haven't tried coating anything yet. Much better than straight acetone. I'll let it set in the coke bottle a day and see what it does, separating or staying dissolved.
    Whatever!

Boolit Man
    I'm not understanding the piglet method?? a powder coat machine is $50.00 with a coupon from harbor freight and u get a perfect coating every time. this method seems to be more work and the end result doesn't seem to coat evenly at all.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by alfloyd View Post
    "HF powder is made in India if I am not mistaken,"

Sir, you are mistaken.
    Harbor Freight Powder Coat powder is made in CHINA.
    Well at least the bottle of red I have says "Made in China" on the label.

Lafaun
    I have the 4 colors of Harbor Freight and they all say "Made in India"
    If it said made in china I would have to think about it then. You know I would never buy car batteries or paint made in china. I understand they may have lead in them.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by gimling View Post
    I'm not understanding the piglet method?? a powder coat machine is $50.00 with a coupon from harbor freight and u get a perfect coating every time. this method seems to be more work and the end result doesn't seem to coat evenly at all.
    I have no problems doing it wet. No expert at all. To me the spay gun would be more problems than doing it wet.
    Here is a bottle opener I did tonight wet using a qtip done in 1 coat. Next time I will try using an acid brush and do 2 thin coats.
    When I start casting 45 cal I will do a grey coat baked and then paint on green/brown/black woodland camo using art brushes that way they won't see the boolits coming. Then I will do a black boolit with a yellow tip and stripes and call it my "beehive" round. Give me a couple of weeks and I will post pics when I do.

This is one coat too thick and I had to bake it twice to past the wipe test.
    Last edited by passgas55; 07-28-2013 at 10:33 PM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I looked up the UPC code on my jugs of HF, made in india, or at least imported from there. Not really important. Anyway, tried the HF red & xylene, xylol today (from a big box store). OK, I added a little acetone too. Dissolved real well but it is really thin, watery and I haven't tried coating anything yet. Much better than straight acetone. I'll let it set in the coke bottle a day and see what it does, separating or staying dissolved.
    Two things you can do. Wait till the liquids evaporate some or do like I do and add more powder till I get it thicker. The excess powder coat
    will stay in your mixing container. You will lose the liquid part.

Quote Originally Posted by docmagnum357 View Post
    .... $68 a Liter? How much is that a gallon? 270 something? Again, all I can say is WOW...
    You're not going to want to know what I paid for a quart of the Sandstrom 27A liquid then. And you must not have seen my story about my friend buying Master Blaster's automated casting machine and automated sizer.

Oh...going back maybe about 5 years, I had a friend who was in negotiations with the guy who owned Master Blasters, one of those black bullet moly/poly coated companies. My friend and the owner had settled on a price of say $20,000 for the two machines. Then the owner springs this on my friend: "Oh, yeah, that will be an extra five thousand dollars for the secret proprietary coating chemical and coating process that my chemist wife came up with."

My friend called the deal off entirely after that.

Then I bet less than a year or two after that fell through I read a post here by a "Westerman" about the Sandstrom 27A liquid being used by the black bullet companies. At the time there were just three: Master Blasters, Bear Creek, and Precision.

I just about fell out of my chair when I discovered the Sandstrom liquid thing. I called the company, talked to their technical people who confirmed it was being used by lead boolit manufacturers, although they wouldn't reveal which ones, and their techniques. I ordered a quart, I think it was. And tinkered with it.

I let my friend know about my discovery. He was kind of "Meh!" about it, indifferent, strangely enough. Had it been me who somebody tried to rookey-doo into shelling out another $5,000 for something that is not all that secret nor proprietary, I would have been ticked.

Like I said in another post, the Material Data Safety Sheet reveals a lot. I would imagine there are a lot MSDS squirreled away online, if somebody has the patience to look. and then go look for a similar product at a much cheaper price.

Quote Originally Posted by gimling View Post
    The problem is trying to spray the powder on ALL surfaces of the boolit. The people doing spray coatings are having to come up with all kinds of jigs to allow coating the bottom as well as all sides. Doing one object on all sides might not be too bad, but imagine having to stick hundreds of objects into a jig each time.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Turpentine does the same thing to HFPC red...but it stinks like hell!

Boolit Master
    I like the smell of Turpentine in the morning...

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    I like the smell of Turpentine in the morning...
    To each their own... Personally, I prefer BACON!!!
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Bub
    Now I have got some glue to test.
    Phenolic resin, brown and also green.
    Used when manufacturing plywood.
    Comes with an accelerator that works at about 200 degrees centigrade.

Gives that familiar bakelite smell..

Quote Originally Posted by Rangefinder View Post
    To each their own... Personally, I prefer BACON!!!
    Mmm, Bacon! ! ! Yum!

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast