Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: HFPC Boolits..Piglet Method

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    For some of us, that is the $64k question. Accuracy.

My impression is that well over 90% of the work is being done on pistol bullets. Many pistol shooters are not skilled enough to discern a slight change in accuracy unless they go to the effort to bench test loads. Minute of pie plate at 50 yards is good enough. What is more important is reducing or eliminating leading and a process that is relatively fast for those who do not have a Star and are not willing to make the investment. Hy-Tek is not capital intensive and is an attractive alternative.

The lack of accuracy testing is telling but it is not uncommon unless you have people working with rifle loads. That is where the rubber meets the road. I think that with all the hype, we will see more people trying it, and some will be rifle shooters. Then we will see more reports on rifle loads and accuracy. That is what I am waiting for.

Now, if I had a pistol that would not run lead with traditional lubes, I would be ordering Hy-Tek - as I think it is better than either PC or piglet coating methods.
    I had bought a whole bunch of Berry's plated bullets once. Let's say in .40 cal, some would actually caliper at .399, others at .400 and some still at .401.

I was at a steel plate match thinking "WHAT THE HECK!" because they weren't hitting the plates. I shot them on paper and sure enough out of a 10 shot group I'd have at least 2 fliers 6 to 8 inches, maybe even more from the center of the main group.

so while I am no expert when it comes to pistol accuracy, I have a gut feeling for what a group shot standing freestyle (both hands) should look like at 15 yards, and then again at 25 yards. And no!, I don't bother shooting pistol at 50 yards either.

Boolit Man
    passgas55,

Could you give us more info on the high gloss paint thinner? Brand, source, approximate mixing ratio, etc. Thanks.

Boolit Bub
    I have moved along a little in the last 24 hours. First I installed my wife's old oven I replaced for her some time back.

Not pretty, but safe and functional until I get around to building a proper enclosure.

I also received my order from Powder by the Pound and all I can say is find something else to do with your HF powder and order some of this! There is still a learning curve, but it is so much easier to work with.

Boolets on the left are HFPC and on the left are PBTP, both one coat and cook at 400 for 20 minutes....coating is no longer soluble in lacquer thinner. Still have a long way to go, but it is a start.
    Last edited by Capt Mike; 07-12-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by xyankeeworkshop View Post
    passgas55,

Could you give us more info on the high gloss paint thinner? Brand, source, approximate mixing ratio, etc. Thanks.
    Years ago my brother painted a car in my back garage. He gave me a can of paint thinner left over.
    I forgot that I still have it sitting in my loft . It is PPG Duracryl, acrylic Lacquer Thinner, DTL 105 High glossSlow Thinner.
    It works very well, will mix in the Harbor Freight RED. It just takes longer to dry. Next time I will use as little as possible and try not to make it too thick. You just got to pratce on small lots to see what works for you.
    I hope to be casting some 9mm bullets next week and plan on doing a straight up red. I will post pics when I do.

Boolit Man
    As a side note I did shoot some of the rebaked 38 cal boolits today. I was mainly looking for how good the coating held up more so on the base. So far the coating did not burn or flcked off after being fired. I cleaned my sa ruger before. After shooting first I past a dry patch and no loose coating was found. Past a wet patch and only burnt gun powder was on patch. Past a wet brush then dry patches and it came out clean again. did the same to the 6 cylinders with same results. So far so good. In 2 to 3 weeks it will be some 9mm testing then can testing.

Boolit Man
    OK, I'm now officially sold on the Piglet process. Anyone want to make an offer on a lightly-used Craftsman PC gun? 8^)

I've been conventionally PCing the Lee 125gr 9mm I run through my Glock for months now, but this is soooooo much easier - and no red overspray covering the garage floor!

After cloverleafing my first 4 of 5 shots from 10 yards with my G17 (which NEVER, EVER HAPPENS!), I ran the rest of the 100 boolit test batch, then pulled the barrel. Nothing but a little carbon.

Ditto on a clean 200 and 230 grain .45 ACP test. They fed great and were stupid accurate out of my 1911.

I then ran as many Pigletized .380s through my LCP as my hand would allow, ringing a 10" plate from 20 yards at a rate that made me want Ruger to come up with an LCP beta mag. 8^)

Next thing to check: 8mm Mauser.

I suppose that several pounds of mixed beeswax pan lube will make a fine flux for smelting range scrap for the rest of my life.

Piglet for President in 2016.

Boolit Man
    I got my new mold for a 9mm at 147gr. Cast a couple hundred boolits. Wet coated 50 using paint thinner and this time got my coating just right. Very smooth even coating. From what I can tell the coating is adding 5/10 to 7/10 grains in weight after baking. Next time when doing 9mm I will weigh 1 38 cal lee boolit and mix it in with the 9mm. Then weigh it after baking. This should give me a better feel on how much weight I am adding to boolits. I just want to know.This weekend I may get to test the 9mm.

All right, I've been sitting on some PC paint for a few months and trying to justify buying a gun for spray them... THEN I discovered this method--and the world is looking better!

I did these this afternoon with scarlet red, then dusted with a light squeeze of graphite--I kinda like the effect. .357 button-nose wad-cutters and my little 311415's for 32ACP and 7.62 "skunk eliminator". NOW I'm seeing the velocity potential and am excited to push these little buggers!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6368.jpg 
Views:	630 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	76490
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

I wanna thank y'all. Ah jest knowed that if'n I waited long 'nuff somebody would do all the work, and come up with a system that werked. Errr, has anybody mixed any moly or HBN in with the powder?
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    I wanna thank y'all. Ah jest knowed that if'n I waited long 'nuff somebody would do all the work, and come up with a system that werked. Errr, has anybody mixed any moly or HBN in with the powder?
    Not in the powder, but when I used epoxy paint I did. I don't think it had any effect. I think it just gets encapsulated by the plastic. Might do something if tumbled on after the cure.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

I WILL be casting and coating tomorrow. SO far I am elated with the results I am getting with the H&G 200 grin Semi Wadcutter Knock off from Lee. I am fairly sure I like the 105 grain bullet in the 380 , also from Lee. SO far I have only used the Harbor Freight Black. I thought I could get by with a two coat application but I am now settled on a three coat system with LOTS of acetone, more than 5 to one. I tumble them in my modified cement mixer until they are dry to the touch and then bake at an oven setting of 425 ( not the 400 degrees called for on the container) for at least twenty minutes. I get a mottled look but the bullets are consistent enough and look like a factory made product; no drippy runny looking mess. I am ordering some Black from Powder By The Pound asap. I hope it makes a better looking boolit.

I will send some pictures next time I cast and coat. I am getting ready to cast and coat some 124 grain 2r 9mm boolits, also from Lee molds soon. I shoot a lot of 148 grain wadcutters in my K-38 so they may be next instead of the 9mm boolits.

SO far I have been extremely pleased with this method and I intend to start keeping track of how much powder and how much acetone I use on 1k boolits. I will tweak it 'til it is exactly what I want and I will be glad to share the results.

I have nothing against the Hi - Tec stuff, if it works. It probably does work better than the Harbor Freight Powder. THe problem I have is that it is a long way to Australia from Leicester, NC. Also, I have a real problem with " trade secrets". I used to hang out with con men before I met Jesus Christ, and the " magic box" was a favorite trick to take advantage of hicks, rubes, and people who drive second hand Fords ( of whom I am one). An off the shelf Chemical can look pretty amazing if you are not familiar with chemistry. " It slices, it dices, it juliennes, it peels potatoes....." Well, so will my pocket knife. I had just rather have something readily available, off the shelf, even if it isn't exactly the perfect thing.

Pictures of my set up forthcoming.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by docmagnum357 View Post
    I have nothing against the Hi - Tec stuff, if it works. It probably does work better than the Harbor Freight Powder. THe problem I have is that it is a long way to Australia from Leicester, NC. Also, I have a real problem with " trade secrets". I used to hang out with con men before I met Jesus Christ, and the " magic box" was a favorite trick to take advantage of hicks, rubes, and people who drive second hand Fords ( of whom I am one). An off the shelf Chemical can look pretty amazing if you are not familiar with chemistry. " It slices, it dices, it juliennes, it peels potatoes....." Well, so will my pocket knife. I had just rather have something readily available, off the shelf, even if it isn't exactly the perfect thing.

Mate. No snake oil or voodoo anywhere in the HI-TEK coating. just 20 odd years of usage and happiness with a coating that works as stated. A coating actually designed for coating bullets, not garden furniture like powder coating. A coating readliy available in the USA with more coming in every day in very large quantities and in various colours.
    But if the PC floats your boat, then knock yourself out and good luck with your endeavours.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned

docmagnum, mike in fayetteville,, for 36$+fedex for hi-tek. You should try! I dont know what you silly statement about oz is far from north carolina meant because hi-tek comes from LA. Down near new orleans. You should give it a try. Its thin as kool-aide.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by docmagnum357 View Post
    I WILL be casting and coating tomorrow. SO far I am elated with the results I am getting with the H&G 200 grin Semi Wadcutter Knock off from Lee. I am fairly sure I like the 105 grain bullet in the 380 , also from Lee. SO far I have only used the Harbor Freight Black. I thought I could get by with a two coat application but I am now settled on a three coat system with LOTS of acetone, more than 5 to one. I tumble them in my modified cement mixer until they are dry to the touch and then bake at an oven setting of 425 ( not the 400 degrees called for on the container) for at least twenty minutes. I get a mottled look but the bullets are consistent enough and look like a factory made product; no drippy runny looking mess. I am ordering some Black from Powder By The Pound asap. I hope it makes a better looking boolit.

I will send some pictures next time I cast and coat. I am getting ready to cast and coat some 124 grain 2r 9mm boolits, also from Lee molds soon. I shoot a lot of 148 grain wadcutters in my K-38 so they may be next instead of the 9mm boolits.

SO far I have been extremely pleased with this method and I intend to start keeping track of how much powder and how much acetone I use on 1k boolits. I will tweak it 'til it is exactly what I want and I will be glad to share the results.

Thanks for your blog.
    I fully understand where you are coming from.
    I also have over the years been exposed by snake oil salesmen, and con merchants and some very clever ones indeed.
    I am not upset about your scepticism.
    In your time, you must have really had many bad experiences with con men.
    What is of concern is, that you have not appeared to have done any homework, and, are implying, that thousands of shooters, who have used the HI-TEK coatings successfully over 20 years, have all been duped and conned, because the formulation is a "trade secret".
    You must concede, that your such assertion is a little over the top and a little insulting to those shooters..
    Mate, I am not that good, that I can fool all those people, for all those years, an no one has been able to realise that they have been conned.
    I am really very flattered that you consider with your assertion, placing me on top of the pedestal, the king of con men, and, that I have the ability to carry out such deed for such a long time.... lol.
    Please, have a think about what you are writing and before you do it.

Banned

"I am really very flattered that you consider with your assertion, placing me on top of the pedestal, the king of con men..."

Love it when the Hi-Tek drones and Hi-Tek himself invite themselves to threads related to other options. No one called Hi-Tek a con man. That is a lie. Way to go drones, and thanks for the hyperbole Hi-Tek.

"I have nothing against the Hi - Tec stuff, if it works. It probably does work better than the Harbor Freight Powder."

Exactly where do the con man comment exist in the post? Right, no where. Now drones/HiTek go back to the Hi-Tek thread.

I challenge your middle of nowhere, and raise you 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer
    Exactly where do the con man comment exist in the post? Right, no where. Now drones/HiTek go back to the Hi-Tek thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Docmagnum357
    I have nothing against the Hi - Tec stuff, if it works. It probably does work better than the Harbor Freight Powder. THe problem I have is that it is a long way to Australia from Leicester, NC. Also, I have a real problem with " trade secrets". I used to hang out with con men before I met Jesus Christ, and the " magic box" was a favorite trick to take advantage of hicks, rubes, and people
    I'd say the con man thing was pretty well implied.
    Guns should only be allowed in places where people don't want to be shot.

Quote Originally Posted by gunoil View Post
    docmagnum, mike in fayetteville,, for 36$+fedex for hi-tek. You should try! I dont know what you silly statement about oz is far from north carolina meant because hi-tek comes from LA. Down near new orleans. You should give it a try. Its thin as kool-aide.
    Says $68 on his website. http://www.bayoubullets.net/Coating.html

HI- tek works well, but smells bad when fired.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Skip62 View Post
    Says $68 on his website. http://www.bayoubullets.net/Coating.html

HI- tek works well, but smells bad when fired.
    Interesting comment.
    Just wondering what is odour you are noticing?
    When the coating is cooked, the baked film should not smell when fired or at least have very low smell at best.
    I have not had any one tell me that previously.
    It is most interesting.

Boolit Master
    The only smell I get is burning gun powder. nothing from the coating.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

I challenge your middle of nowhere, and raise you 5.
    Maybe someone isn't used to the smell of burned powder without all grease and wax lubes?
    Guns should only be allowed in places where people don't want to be shot.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast