WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Picky?

Boolit Buddy

Picky?

So Im melting down my range lead and pulling out the copper jackets from them. I am getting small amounts of lead remaining inside, that I've tried to get out buy can't seem to always get the last little drop out. So I'm wondering if there are tips to get it all out, or is it not always that big of a deal to others? Also how picky will the scrap yard be when i take this copper back with a small amount of lead with them? Thanks

Boolit Master

I heat up all of my jacket up really hit in a fryer basket with a weed burner torch. Then I just bang the basket on the concrete floor and all the left over lead drops out. I quench the hit jackets in a 5 gallon bucket with citric acid in with the water. This helps to shine them back up. I get a pretty good price for the jackets.

Btw, take a magnet to your jackets before you turn them in. If the recycler finds steel mixed in with your jackets he won't pay as much.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Flux with sawdust before removing the jackets from the pot.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    I roll about 2 cups worth, at a time, against the side of the pot with a slotted spoon or fryer sieve for a minute or two. Lead will find a way out so long as the path is down.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.