RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Savage Model 170B

Savage Model 170B

I picked up this "Junker" 5-6 years ago at an auction for dirt cheap' 170 in 35 Remington, but the first 3 inches of barrel were rusted out. The rifling was pulling up out of the barrel!!!.

We hunt wild pigs at night , here in Ga. (Yes it's legal they are Varmint can be hunted 24/7, 365, any gun.) The wife has been using her Tika 6.5X55 and it's a fine rifle, but at the short ranges we hunt, I want her to use something with more Thump.

I cut off the barrel and re-crowned (recessed target crown) then the work began. The lifter spring was broken. After several attempts at making one, I found one at Gun Parts. ( Ordered 2 and got 2 different ones) got that fitted and it still refused to cycle from the tube mag. (ordered a new plastic mag adapter from Gun Parts). installed that and now it seems to function with dummy rounds.

To get her use to the gun I have loaded some 158 Lyman 358156 SwGc boolits. I'm trying loads from 33-37 gr of bulk 3031 equal.

Mounted a lighted reticle 3X9 scope, cause the front sight went with the end of the barrel.

Going to try and sight it in and will report back with pictures, when we get back.

Still need to get either the RCBS 180 gr sil bullet mold or the Lyman 200 gr'er for Hog mashing.

TwoTrees

Super Moderator

................I'd suggest either the Saeco #356, 200gr FNGC or the RCBS version. One 3rd again as heavy for better penetration and adequet FP's for expansion. Simply cast of ACWW and go for a 2100 fps velocity or a bit more.

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance