Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Super simple way to seat gas checks perfect every time

Banned

Glad to help

Boolit Master
    Lyman makes a gas check seater for their sizers. It fits under the sizing die and prevents the bullet from going deep into the die. Works good. One fits all sizing dies. Also have a couple neat little gas check seaters that you just put on top of the sizing die and seat the checks. Just a round piece of metal with a 1/8" deep hole the size of your bullet on top and a plug on the bottom to locate it in the sizing die. Works about the same as the Lyman arrangement.

Boolit Master
    I use a pair of channel lock pliers. I ground the jaw faces smooth and wrap the upper jaw in electrical tape to protect the boolit nose. Works for me.

Boolit Master

I checked some more bullets last night - screwed in my Lee sizer, stuck the little ram in the die (some lube held it in place) and then used a different ram to push my bullets into the back of the first ram, every check seated perfectly and easily, then when that was done I moved the ram and sized normally, crimping the checks. Worked perfectly.

Thanks again!

Boolit Master

My solution

This was a great idea just that I didn't have what I needed to do it so I had to think a bit and came up with this.

I have been working on some hydraulics and these caught my eye, 1/2" pipe plugs, look real close to 7/8-14, of course it's pipe thread but pretty close, close enough that a couple of wraps of masking tape made it a tight screw in fit to my press (second Pic), and my 45-70 shell holder priming hole opened up held my nose punch perfectly, wala it works great. So thanks for the idea to begin with and here's my take on it!

I have one of those little Lee C -type Reloader Presses that has not been used in years. I'm gonna set it up just as a GC Seater for .30 cal.

I took an old RCBS die and installed the seater punch/screw on the outside of the die. Then the die was installed in the press upside down and a Lee lockring on the top.

A shell holder in the ram and the seater punch for one of those old Lee Ram Prime units was dropped into the shell holder.

Works perfect! Many thanks to the OP for making me think! Seating GC's on some boolits can be a pain; NOT anymore!

Banned

I just used one of the Lyman gas check seaters on my 450 sizer/luber and am pretty happy with it so far. This is a pretty neat idea though.

Banned

Bump up, needed to find it.

Boolit Master

I use a Lyman lubrisizer and place the gas checks on my bench, right see up, then I set the boolit on it just enough to hold it on the base. I then pace it over the lube die which has a door key blank covering it. I pull the press handle down and it presses the gas check on the boolit.

Much easy to do than explain or type!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    They really are called freeze plug because thats what they were invented for 100 years ago. The water inside the engine would freeze and the plugs were supposed to pop out before the engine block froze and cracked. Rod

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Freeze plugs as most call them are to plug the holes in the engine blocks the holes are there to wash the mold out. Engine molds are made of sand and after casting they wash the sand out that is trapped on the inside.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Now you say "But Josh! I have round nose and spire point boolits! That will damage the nose!"
    Well I have an answer for you! I have em too and done figured it out.
    UltraMag - just turn the bullet upside down with the GC sitting on the plug - pull the handle - perfect crimp and no buggered nose.
    Been seating this way for years
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by rodsvet View Post
    They really are called freeze plug because thats what they were invented for 100 years ago. The water inside the engine would freeze and the plugs were supposed to pop out before the engine block froze and cracked. Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    Freeze plugs as most call them are to plug the holes in the engine blocks the holes are there to wash the mold out. Engine molds are made of sand and after casting they wash the sand out that is trapped on the inside.
    Your both right!

I've been using that same set up for several years. Works for me to. I use the white bandage tape. It's a little sticker and works better than electrical tape for me.

LOL, I have banging the dang things on the table after trying to seat the GC's to make sure they were seated all the way... I saw this thread and went "DUH" and started using my arbor press that I use for my FreeChex to seat the checks now...

Doc

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzinbruce View Post
    Lyman makes a gas check seater for their sizers. It fits under the sizing die and prevents the bullet from going deep into the die. Works good. One fits all sizing dies. Also have a couple neat little gas check seaters that you just put on top of the sizing die and seat the checks. Just a round piece of metal with a 1/8" deep hole the size of your bullet on top and a plug on the bottom to locate it in the sizing die. Works about the same as the Lyman arrangement.

I made something similar about 10 yrs ago, The only differences are my counterbore for the bullet is .300 deep and bored .002 over the size of the check.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by LongPoint View Post
    . . .Had to explain to the kid at the parts house what a freeze plug was. Good Luck.

LongPoint
    What are they teaching kids now days!

Buy them books, send 'em to school and all they know is how to use a computer!

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by LongPoint View Post
    I use an RCBS lubesizer. I went to NAPA and bought a freeze plug that fit over the sizer die retention nut. Sit the check and boolit on the freeze plug and lower the ram to seat the check. The top punch should not deform the nose. Had to explain to the kid at the parts house what a freeze plug was. Good Luck.

LongPoint
    They are called welsh plugs here in OZ took me a while to work out what you were referring to .Core plug works for me as well.

A welch plug and a freeze plug are two different things.

freeze plug
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	freezeplugc3.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	176876
    welch plug
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wel.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	176877

I just put the gas check on the end of the boolit, and shove it though the Lee sizer. Ive never had one fall off yet.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast