MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Super simple way to seat gas checks perfect every time

Been doing that for a couple of years. As soon as I get my check on, I size my checked boolits.

Banned
    OR you could just buy a SAECO (Redding) lubesizer that has a built in GC seating feature as well as being the finest lube sizer made.

I use mine to seat the GCs before powder coating and then to size the boolits after PCing.

Boolit Master
    I use that method with the sizers when I want to try as cast rather than size my boolits.

Boolit Master
    I really enjoyed reading this thread. Here's a trick that works for me when it comes to seating stubborn gas checks.

Since it's kind of hard to find a 7/8 -14 bolt around here at the local hardware store, rather than go online to order a bolt, I decided to use wood instead.

I place a small Oak hardwood block under my turret head to use as a gas check seating base. It works great for me when the gas check shank of a boolit has a fin, or the mould is just a little out of spec and the checks are being difficult to seat.

As others have said previously, you really can feel when the check is completely seated this way.

After firmly seating a stubborn check, using the ram sizer insert I can easily run the boolit (nose first) through a Lee push through sizing die to size the boolit, and crimp on the check.

Good luck getting a gas check off a boolit, after pressing it on this way.

- Bullwolf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gas Check Oak Block.jpg   Gas Check PressOn.jpg  

Boolit Bub
    Here is what I have come up with after reading all of these threads. I don't have a sizing setup, but I knew I had to have something that would work for seating gas checks.

A couple of years ago I was interested in 30 cal sabots for 22 bullets. They allow you to shoot 22 cal bullets from any 30 cal firearm. I purchased the kit which includes a "die" and a "sabot holder" that fits your press ram.

http://www.sabotreloadingpro.com/

I decided it should work great for seating gas checks.

I then ran into some Gator gas checks that were a little too big to snap on to my .44 cast boolets from my Lee mould.

Enter a crimping solution:

My late father had given me a large set so I figured there had to be a smaller version, so I looked these up on Amazon and made the deal.

Loggerhead Tools BW6-01R-01 Adjustable 6-Inch Bionic Wrench https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JPN2QK..._0cF7xbQCAM54B

After experimenting a little, I figured out it was easier to put the gas check on your finger. . .

and get the gas check in place on the pliers. . .

and then crimp slightly. . .

They snapped on the boolets no problem, then I made sure they were seated well and crimped again after they were in place on the boolit.

The pliers adjust from 14mm- 9/16 in.(.5625 in.) down to 7mm-1/4 in. (.25 in.) so it will cover a wide variety of check sizes in one tool.

This is what I had that I made work for me, YMMV.

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bradley.moss72; 09-30-2016 at 01:21 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123