Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rocket Hub

He's changing the pivot pin detent housing, I think that's what it's called, and cutting it to a 45. He gave me the option of the current in the photo, or the final design. I'm waiting on his final prototype to return from anodizing. He's shipping it next week when he gets it back. I'll post pics when I get it, and pics of the machining process, and of the lower assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    Question
    Using one of the commercially available jigs, can the average Joe truly use just a drill press and drill bits to complete the lower?
    I've got the lower and the jig showing up next week, I just need to pick up a couple of end mill bits in the correct size. I'm using my bench top drill press with a cross slide vise on it. I'll let you know how it all works out.

Boolit Master

Please share a photo, I'd love to see what to expect. I bought into the deal when it was only 300% overfunded. It closed over 1000% overfunded. I sure hope it goes well for Pebble Peak and they get the boost they wanted, assuming they deserve it.
    Bulldogger

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
    Please share a photo, I'd love to see what to expect. I bought into the deal when it was only 300% overfunded. It closed over 1000% overfunded. I sure hope it goes well for Pebble Peak and they get the boost they wanted, assuming they deserve it.
    Bulldogger
    The lower I'm receiving is from precision mfg. I funded the others also, but precision seems to be the only one running prototypes so far.

Boolit Mold
    We just launched a campaign, and will be delivering Beginning 8/13/13. Come check out the movement. Please forgive me if I made any mistakes I am new to this forum and forums in general. Trying to teach an old dog new tricks

http://www.rockethub.com/projects/27...west-precision

Quote Originally Posted by NWPrecision View Post
    We just launched a campaign, and will be delivering Beginning 8/13/13. Come check out the movement. Please forgive me if I made any mistakes I am new to this forum and forums in general. Trying to teach an old dog new tricks

Welcome to the cast boolits family. I wish your campaign the best of luck. I will be funding a few uppers at least through yours. Can you tell us anything about yourself, machining experience, have you made an upper yet?

boltons75, did you get the tracking #. I think I am the 9th to fund the same project. I look forward to your pictures and the process.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NWPrecision View Post

I purchased one of the complete anodized uppers and the jig to finish a lower. I read through all the offerings and went with a gut feeling about this outfit. I'll wait until they produce a 80% lower to continue on with this project.

Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by FWest View Post
    boltons75, did you get the tracking #. I think I am the 9th to fund the same project. I look forward to your pictures and the process.
    Yes, it is on its way via the big Brown truck. I also received all of my parts from PSA to complete the lower, my jig from 80 percent arms, and I just ordered a blem upper from PSA, for 69 bucks.

I have a Blackout upper I assembled last summer that needs it's own lower. I also gave NW some $ for a jig.

I have a Blackout upper I assembled last summer that needs it's own lower. I also gave NW some $ for a jig.
    I'll probably give NW some money for uppers since I have 6 on the way from 3 different campaigns. Precision had an issue with the shop that was doing his anodizing, he got the second batch, the one with the final prototype he was going to send me, back with them all looking like ****, he had to send them back to get finished correctly. He's decided to go with a different shop now that has more experience with AR's.

You would think Precision would send out the lowers that were ordered unfinished.

You would think Precision would send out the lowers that were ordered unfinished.
    Well he just started their first steps with the bulk order of aluminum they got in. He is also shipping all orders at the same time. So if you ordered a ar and 22 then they'll come together. Logistically it makes sense. He can concentrate on the machining now, and then worry about the shipping headache at the end.

I just got, as far as I know, the first rocket hub AR lower in the mail today. Initial opinions, the grip buffer and mags fit fine. The pivot detent housing and the lower outside lips on the mag well are too wide, .030" to be exact, for the 80 percent arms jig to fit. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1373405449721.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	75687Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1373405463640.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	75688

Thanks for posting. At least all the parts fit. Should be easier to remedy a jig than a mag well.

Thanks for posting. At least all the parts fit. Should be easier to remedy a jig than a mag well.
    Actually what I'm going to do to this one is just shave the material off the receiver, then apply some type of gun coat. All he needs to do is to take a little more material off, I'd think it would be a simple fix, but I'm not a machinist.

Just heard back from him, they are going to thin down the areas that I noted. He is also going to order a few different jigs to try and find out which ones work best with their lowers. I've decided on this initial receiver, to just remove some metal from the jig so that it fits the receiver. This way I can get the machining done and the lower assembled.

http://m1211.photobucket.com/albums/...AR%20Build?o=0

Photos of the jig modifications, the lower pieced together with my PSA blemed upper, which I found no blems on.

Boolit Master
    Looks GTG get drillin! I'm still waiting on my AR-10's, 15's, and 10/22 receivers. Good thing I am not in a hurry or anything. The only one I am realy excited about is the AR-10. I want a 260 and 308 in the mix.

Nice progress boltons75. Thanks for sharing again. Is that first picture you getting started on the lower drill/milling ?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast