Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum stuck / corrosion

Boolit Master

Aluminum stuck / corrosion

I found grandpa's 14' long cane fishing pole. It is in 3 sections with aluminum sockets to connect the sections. Aluminum on both the pocket end and the extension which goes inside the pocket. The bottom section was separate from the middle section, but the tip and middle section were together. They are not cooperating with separating. I'm guessing they were put away wet, and after years some aluminum oxidation has happened, making the aluminum rough and locking it together.

So, what to do?

I thought of a penetrating oil like kroil or WD-40, but I've never tried it on aluminum.

What do you think? Any other suggestions?
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master

, out!
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 06-22-2020 at 09:10 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Grand Master
    If oil doesn't work try Coca-Cola, the phosphoric acid can do wonders at eating corrosion.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Naval jelly contains weak phosphoric acid, and weak acid can reverse
    the oxidation reaction that is corrosion. I suggest citric acid solution
    and maybe wiggle it side to side when under the solution. Lemishine
    has citric acid, in groc store near dishwasher soaps.

Also, acetone and ATF mixed 50-50 is a superior penetrating oil.
    If you can get it apart with pen oil, soak in citric acid or apply naval
    jelly if you already have it, to reverse the corrosion. Polish and
    grease lightly with synthetic ONLY grease. Old fashioned greases
    are soap based and turn to glue after a long time. Could be just
    grease-glued together, too. Synthetic greases stay as grease for
    at lease a decade or two.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned

they might not be chemically "stuck" together.
    I remember one time I lubed the joints on my fishing pole with Vaseline.
    I won't do that again.
    anyway if the joint looks dry i'd use the atf and acetone mix, it will creep into anywhere a liquid can get.

Another trick I used with my fly poles was to squat down, hold the pole between sections behind my knees then, part my knees (against my fists) while holding the pole ends tight in my hands. This allows you to pull the sections straight out from each other. and increases the leverage. It works GREAT!! I learned this from an old Fly Fisherman, the same one that taught me how to Tie Flies.
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Master

Gliden07, I have used that one too, it really works.
    Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master

Thanks guys! I had the kroil on hand so put it in, and it slid right into the joint and disappeared. Letting it soak overnight and will try the knees-and-fists in-line leverage trick in the morning.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master

Thanks guys!!! The Kroil was enough. RFR was right -- not chemically stuck together. After a couple very small squirts of Kroil (which sucked right into the joint), I let it stand overnight. Next morning, I tested a pull, and they seemed just as stuck, but when I twisted, there was movement. I ended up padding two pair of vice grips (set so they didn't over-squeeze), and used those to get twisting leverage. After a couple rotations, they came right apart. The aluminum underneath is mostly clean. There are a couple rubbed spots, where it is obvious the aluminum has always been a very tight fit. That's what caused the problem.

Thanks again everybody!

Boolit Master
    I'd try the Coke too. As an airplane pilot, I've seen first hand what it can do to the floor of a plane when someone spills a Coke and it doesn't get cleaned up for a while.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Grand Master

Glad you got it appart and all is well.A light coat of beeswax will help perserve the fittings. If thats an old cane pole have it appraised before doing alot to it as some command collectors value now. ANd being Grandpas you want to perserve it with out causing other issues. I believe I would make a nive rack for it and have it hanging on the living room wall, But being single I can do things like that. Thats a special peice of your lifes history.

Boolit Grand Master

Oh and before you put it up. Get a can of worms a boober and hook and sinker. Find A farm pond and straw Hat. A day fishing with Grandpas pole on the side of a pond remembering Him will make a great day. And a mess of bluegills makes a great meal anytime LOL.

Glad you got it apart!! And thanks for the update!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Glad you got it appart and all is well.A light coat of beeswax will help perserve the fittings. If thats an old cane pole have it appraised before doing alot to it as some command collectors value now. ANd being Grandpas you want to perserve it with out causing other issues. I believe I would make a nive rack for it and have it hanging on the living room wall, But being single I can do things like that. Thats a special peice of your lifes history.
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Oh and before you put it up. Get a can of worms a boober and hook and sinker. Find A farm pond and straw Hat. A day fishing with Grandpas pole on the side of a pond remembering Him will make a great day. And a mess of bluegills makes a great meal anytime LOL.
    Thank you! Yes, it means a lot to me -- Also the first pole I ever caught fish with (a bluegill and a sunfish when grandpa took me at 4 yrs old). I'm getting it out to take my daughter fishing. Not her first time, but we're going back to the lake where grandpa owned a cabin, and where I caught my first fish and the last spot this pole was last used to fish.

Had the daughter out practicing in the yard. She can really get the line out there and lay the bobber down with minimal splash (at least sometimes! ).

Right now the big hold up is the weather. We had severe flooding with snow melt, and just as it was starting to go down, it's rained 7 out of last 8 days... Looks like Sunday is our next chance. Keep uour fingers crossed for me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gliden07 View Post
    Glad you got it apart!! And thanks for the update!!
    Thanks Glidden! It felt welded together, but that Kroil did a great job.

I'm going to do what country gent suggested and get out my bees wax.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeMineA10mm View Post
    Thanks Glidden! It felt welded together, but that Kroil did a great job.

I'm going to do what country gent suggested and get out my bees wax.
    I gotta try that Kroil!! I've heard lots of good things about it. I remember my Dad had it when I was a kid but when WD40 came out never saw it in his workshop again!! Hope you make it out Sunday, we got slammed with rain here too and it was cold! Now its 92 and humid!! Out of the fridge and into the fryer!!! Still better than snow!!

Boolit Grand Master

Some of those ferreles were brass and tin coated under pressure for long periods they would stick

Boolit Master

We did not make it out yet. Rain, rain, rain.... The fishing hole is flooded, and calling for more rain through tomorrow... So, even though Sunday is supposed to be perfect, the water will be so high I'm just not sure we'll make it. We're gonna try our darnedest to drown a few wax worms though!

Banned

it ain't always about the catchin

lubed the joints on my fishing pole
    Don't use any lube at all -- it makes a hydraulic seal. Just keep them clean and DRY. Don't sand, maybe a little dry graphite. Q-tip to clean the inside.
    Whatever!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast