Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Lubrisizer heater

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Lubrisizer heater

Found somethingon the American Science and Surplus page. It is a heater item, that may just be the thing. and, they are cheap! Look in the Electrical parts section, and go to item 1490 Heating rope.

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Even if you don't buy anything from them, the Am. Science and Surplus (formerly Jerryco) catalogs are a real "hoot" to read. I've bought a LOT of stuff from them over the years; their descriptions are stone accurate and the pricing is right for what you get.

floodgate

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Since I live in probably the only county in the U. S. of A. where it is now illeagol to posess a 1911 Colt or a Ruger 10/22 I have had many chances to leave many greenbacks both at their old location and all of the new ones. Their catalog is more fun than the Sunday funnies. Will have to look into that heater. Thanks BWB

In Remebrance

I like the 12 volt idea. Using a varible output transformer you could probably work up a perfect heat.

Boolit Mold

From over the pond

I decided to take the direct approach to heating the Lyman lubesizer.

Acquired a 1/4" diameter, 2" long, 30 watt cartridge heater from a website like this:

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=9&gl=uk

(There are many manufacturers and suppliers of these).

I drilled a 1/4" nominal hole to 2 1/8" depth in the base of the lubesizer and inserted the heater. Made up a retainer from a washer (shim).

The setup works a treat and is up to temperature in less than 5 minutes. I control temperature by switching off the supply occasionally.

Charles
    "Nonsense - they couldn't hit an elephant at this distan.........".

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009 Phil's Avatar
    I just took an old piece of flat stock aluminum (5"X12"X1/4") stock from the junk yard, drilled two holes in one end of it to match the mounting holes in the lubrisizer, sandwiched the aluminum between the bench and lubrisizer, and set an old clothes iron on it. Variable heat, works great, cost about fifty cents or less. Gutbucket engineering we call it here.

Cheers,

Phil

Boolit Buddy
    Phil
    Did the same thing. I got the alminum plate for nothing, but I had to pay fifty cents for the travel iron. Been using it for the last ten years or so and it still works great.
    Chuck

In Remembrance
    Back when I was working (electrician) I was able to salvage the crankcase heaters from some large A/C compressors. I drilled a hole in an aluminum plate to receive the cartridge heater and cut it to the shape of the lubrisizer, bolted the whole shebang to the bench and it works just as good as a $35 unit! My cost-ZILCH, except for some time. These heaters are 3/8" diameter and maybe 3" long. Talk to your local A/C repairman or electrician. Emery
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Moderator Emeritus

I set a trouble light next to mine. Cost is zero plus I now know where the trouble light is. Gianni.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

I just use a hair dryer on hot for a couple of min at the base, then use a light like
    MT Gainni. I can see what I am doing better, and the light maintains the lube at a good consistancy, and the whole thing is fast.
    1Shirt!

I too use the iron method...it has its own thremostat that I have marked on the dial which position to use for the different lubes plus I made mine a double wide with enough room for two lubers.

JR
    Member Migigan Gun Owners www.MiGunowners.org
    NRA member NRA R/O
    IDPA member
    IDPA Safety Officer
    Member Linden Sportsmens Club Linden,MI
    Member Detroit Sportsmans Congress Utica,MI

I was wondering how heat tape would work. The stuff that you put on your water pipes to keep them from freezing in the winter. Since both of my Stars and my Lyman 450 have heaters, i've never tried it, but you could wrap it right around the resovoir. sounds crazy....but it just might work.
    I only hope that someday I can be half the Man that my Dogs already think I am!