Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Anyone remember The Lee "Automator"?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Vaquero View Post
    Ranch Dog,

This thread was responsible for more Lee Automators being sold by Lee in the last 2 years, than were sold when it was originally offered! I take pride in that!

I purchased an extra one, just because it's a cool piece of kit to have on the bench and always provokes good conversation. It's action is more positive and consistent than the Pro-1000. Hopefully a few more will hit the streets and find good homes!

Thanks for the heads up!
    Hey that is awesome 44V ! You are quite the salesman. Congrats!!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Mold
    Ranch Dog,

This thread was responsible for more Lee Automators being sold by Lee in the last 2 years, than were sold when it was originally offered! I take pride in that!

I purchased an extra one, just because it's a cool piece of kit to have on the bench and always provokes good conversation. It's action is more positive and consistent than the Pro-1000. Hopefully a few more will hit the streets and find good homes!

Thanks for the heads up!
    I purchased a Lee Automator 01-05-2016 from Lee's website for $40.00 plus shipping.

I got one awhile back also just because.

And I am a tool ***** to boot.

Thanks

GD

Boolit Master
    Well dakota dj and Gillie Dog welcome to the Lee Automator family! I have to say that I love the fact that this thread continues on supported by the efforts of re-loaders like you guys!

I continue to enjoy my 2 Automators and promote them here and on my FB page Lee Reloading and Casting Equipment. If you are on Fb, please join this page. We have over 11,000 members who are interested in Lee Reloading equipment! It's a good group.

When you get your Automators set and running be sure to come back and post the pics here! Lets keep the show rolling.
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Well 44Vaquero since you are the official Lee Automator Guru I thought I'd give you a heads up rumor on the Automator's status. As you know Dakota DJ bought one on January 6. Since his purchase the Lee Closeout page now shows "
    Quantitycoming soon" for the automator

regards,

I forgot to say good job 44Vaquero.
    regards,

Boolit Master
    You know Mike,

If Lee makes a new run of Automators because of this thread, I really would like to see this thread become a "Sticky"!

And thanks for the kind words!

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by dakota_dj View Post
    I purchased a Lee Automator 01-05-2016 from Lee's website for $40.00 plus shipping.
    I bought one too. Grafted it to a Lee Classic Turret press base. Much more leverage and a whole lot less shaky. It's a stout Pro 1000 now. I had to buy a 50 BMG shell holder to adapt the carrier to the LCT's ram and turn it down to .700 to accept the Pro 1000 carrier. She's running 100% and mounted on a board to fit my Lee quick change press mount. Now all I have to do to it is come up with an elegant and reliable way to drop the completed rounds into a catch bin. The whole unit sits much lower on the LCT base and for now ejcts them into a little corral on the bench top.

Boolit Mold
    I know I am resurrecting a thread that hasn't been used in a while, but....I am a newcomer to the "Automator Club". I happened to be on an auction site a couple weeks ago and saw this one item - a "Lee Automator". I checked around a little and found out what it was. I thought...at auction prices...why not take a chance. Well...I won the auction ($12.50 - yeah baby), and it came in the mail today.

It came in the original box. But, does not have a manual. It also does not have the straight part that shows to the left on the box. I assume this is the indexing rod. Is this correct? I have a Lee 3-hole Turret Press, so I am somewhat familiar with some of the setup/parts.

It will be a while until I can get this set up. I need to find another press to mount it on first. But I do have two questions if anyone can help. I have tried calling Lee, but have not been able to get through yet.

1.) Does anyone have the manual that they could post here?
    2.) Does anyone know where I can get the indexing rod? I assume that it needs to be a 3-hole rod, and I don't see one in the parts section on Lee's site. (I could steal the one from my turret press, but don't want to if I don't have to.)

BTW - It looks like Lee may have sold out of the Automators that they had left. I can't find them anywhere on the site now.

Boolit Mold
    I may be answering my own questions...but maybe someone could verify this for me. After thinking about it, I thought that the part that shows on the box may well be the rod that is used by the Pro-1000 (link listed below). Is this correct?

http://leeprecision.com/Action-Rod-Pro1000.html

I am actually wondering if this part is interchangeable with the 3-hold turret press part (although Lee does not say so).

I did get hold of Lee customer support after another try. She told me that they no longer sell the indexing rod for the 3-hole press. She was going to see if they had any extra manuals laying around for the Automator, and will mail me one if she can find it. Or she will make a copy of the one she has and send it to me. If I get it, and someone else hasn't done it by then, I will try to post a link for the manual.

Boolit Master
    DavidA2:

The op rod from the Pro-1000 will work, it may need to be shortened from the top? When contacting Lee about such things try to contact Laine she is the only service person that is aware the older/discontinued equipment.

I have the manual, PM me your e-mail address and I will scan you a copy! Welcome to the Automator Club!

The Automator was made to interchange basically all of its parts with the Pro-1000. Same turrets, same op rod, same shell plate and carrier, same small parts. Basically the idea was to sell you a Pro-1000 and then the Automator for the other size of primers. I got the Automator first when Lee had them on closeout recently, then bought a member's two Pro-1000's and spare parts so I could run the Automator.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Today I joined the Automator club, looking forward to seeing what this can do.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Automator1989.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	317941
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

I just got word from Lee that they will not help sort parts to upgrade these to the 2023 Pro 1000. They will however help you with a trade in program to whatever press you want at 50% discount.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

HoLEE smokes and my wife says I don't throw things away. Someone lost a bet, what are the odds a customer calls and asks for a product you canned after 12 months of production 26 (and 34) years later and you still have one.

Too cool.

After several e-mails and phone conversations with Lee Precision customer service, it appears that they still had a few Automator kits sitting on the shelf. I ordered one just to play with, unfortunately my shell plate carrier has not yet arrived. I am looking forward to setting this thing up.
    Attachment 74619Attachment 74620Attachment 74621Attachment 74622

One interesting note: For all the criticism of Lee's instructions this one comes with an 8 page instruction sheet!

I'll be working on a Lee parts list, that is needed to turn these old presses into a 2023 Pro 1000 ready press.
    Stay tuned.
    Last edited by deces; 03-02-2024 at 07:52 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345