Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Easy to build gas checkmaker

Forged further ahead and made a percussioncap maker.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e47ZDA2h.jpg 
Views:	898 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	190058

Quote Originally Posted by Retumbo View Post
    Forged further ahead and made a percussioncap maker.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e47ZDA2h.jpg 
Views:	898 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	190058
    That's excellent! Good job!
    Last edited by abqcaster; 03-10-2017 at 06:15 PM.
    Krav Maga Instructor
    Defensive Tactics Instructor for Public Safety Personnel
    Empty Handed Gun Disarming Instructor

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - infantry journal

I attached an empty Chobani yogurt cup to the top in a similar manner to the pill vial. It's wide enough to reach into and pull out a handful of checks, as it fills, to transfer to my storage container. But, it's not so wide as to interfere with punching checks.
    Krav Maga Instructor
    Defensive Tactics Instructor for Public Safety Personnel
    Empty Handed Gun Disarming Instructor

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - infantry journal

Boolit Bub
    Great idea.

Finding a way to make gas checks has been on my mind lately- excellent work, and thank you for sharing your projects. Much appreciated!

Boolit Mold
    Thank you Idz . I made a couple of check makers from your plans , for one of my Nephews .He is just getting started in reloading . They work great , so thank you from both of us . I guess now you have to share the blame for starting him down the road to ruin . LOL . I made several of the " whack a mole " type check makers before this ,but your design is much better .

Quote Originally Posted by leadlobber2 View Post
    Thank you Idz . I made a couple of check makers from your plans , for one of my Nephews .He is just getting started in reloading . They work great , so thank you from both of us . I guess now you have to share the blame for starting him down the road to ruin . LOL . I made several of the " whack a mole " type check makers before this ,but your design is much better .
    If you decide you'd like to make a 30 caliber one for me, please let me know as I'd happily buy one!! No access to the tools necessary...unfortunately.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

First, I would like to thank Idz for making his check maker write-up available on this forum.

I never thought about making my own gas checks until I saw this thread. I have had problems with leading in my 9mm's and read about those that made their own gas checks out of soda/beer cans that they size onto PB boolits. Since I am a hobby machinist (learning rookie) I thought this would be a fun project.

I started by making a check maker for 9mm but made a rookie mistake and ended up making one for 45 ACP instead (long story). Anyway, after making the 45 cal. check maker it worked pretty good. The only problem I had was making it work on my RCBS Rockchucker Press. It's difficult to hold the aluminum strips in the correct position while punching out the check. After a little trial and error I was able to create checks just fine but a little slow. Anyway, I was more interested in taking a crack at another 9mm check maker so I reviewed the dimensions of the punch, made some changes, and went back out to the shop and fired up the lathe. I made the threaded portion of the punch longer to make it easier to hold the aluminum strips in the die on my Rockchucker. In addition, I made an extended piece on the top of the punch to hold a Lee cup that's clear red plastic that comes with their boolit sizing dies. Success, I'm punching out 9mm gas checks that fit the bases of my 9mm .358 boolits much easier on my Rockchucker.

While making the longer die I learned that drill bits wander quite a bit (still a rookie) and ended up making the punch in two pieces. One piece is the threaded body with the extension on top for the Lee catch cup and the other piece is the punch that was machine to lightly press into the threaded section secured by red Loctite. I used a small boring bar on the punch section to get the dimensions and concentricity correct before pressing it into the threaded section.

Here's a picture of both check makers with the 9mm longer die on the left and the 45 die on the right.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1692_zpsj3is0ka1.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	196368
    Mike B.

Boolit Man
    Nice, looks like a good idea. I've made a few and found boring the important parts made a better tool.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I think you guys need to do more of a production run making a few thousand of every size then send them to me to look over of coarse I would need to use them as needed. Nice work guys more and more I want a new toy so I can join in on the fun.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for sharing the design. I have just finished up this Gas Check Maker in 30 cal and a .312 sizing die.

I must say the simplicity in the design makes for a easy project for a wet and rainy afternoon.

Boolit Buddy
    so, why is this not a sticky?
    just so I hafta put it in my favorites?

Boolit Master

Sticky: +1
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Because it might make "Pat Marlin" cry

In Remembrance
    S.E.G. You will have to make your 30 caliber checks out of thicker material, around .014 thick if you are sizing to .312. Those are nice bottle caps for your first try.!

Quote Originally Posted by S.E.G View Post
    Thanks for sharing the design. I have just finished up this Gas Check Maker in 30 cal and a .312 sizing die.

I must say the simplicity in the design makes for a easy project for a wet and rainy afternoon.

hey original poster, I don't have a lathe, would you make me one, and how much would you charge? it is for a 9.3 (.366) so they aren't that common so it would be nice, thanks,-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll be making one soon for myself since no place local Sells reloading supplies.
    Thanks for the original write up and plans.
    I can see making these for all the boolits I cast for that need checks so a labeled small plastic parts container is in order.

Again thanks for the pd.

Rich

Boolit Master

that looks awesome!

I have nearly finished two for .45 caliber but I still not confident in cutting the slot with a hacksaw, and don't have a dremel tool handy.
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I been looking real hard at buying a lathe but having to find enough reasons to spend the money I forgot about this project so one more reason I can justify buying one. I been told I would find several things to do with it when I owned one maybe they were right lol.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast