Lee PrecisionPBcastcoRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Easy to build gas checkmaker

Boolit Master

In answer to your question #1 if I understand your description of the problem that the check is being pulled back down out of the die. I've only seen that happen if I don't pay attention and short stroke the operation. If I run the punch all the way up, until it contacts the die, the skirt of the formed check springs open and catches on the lip of the backbored clearance hole and is stripped off the punch.
    The other problem could be using much thinner stock that can't spring open enough to catch the lip.

As for the Rockchucker difficulty I suggest investing $25 and getting a Lee press. Its probably easier and cheaper than designing a work-around.

Good Luck and let us know how it all works out.

I made 2 of them, 1 in the .22 Bator form, 1 in .35 cal, consistent with the as presented dimensions. I noticed in tweaking them that the radius of the forming insert had to be smoother than I originally would have thought, and that the cutting edge of the disc punch had to be immaculate. Those were the only things that required any real follow-up work to ease production. I built both of them specifically to work on a RockChucker and had no issues with feeding strips. I tested them all with a variety of metals: .010-.014 aluminum, .010 brass, copper, beer can bottoms, beer can sidewalls... made acceptable looking checks with all, made acceptable working checks from the brass, copper, and aluminum flashing. I used either single or double wide strips and they caused me no grief as long as I held them firm to the backside of the cutout. I intend to make a couple more come spring after my knee is healed up. I think the design is sound.

mike
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2628.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	128270
    Thought I'd share my personal hack for cutting the slot on Idz' gas check maker. It's essentially a cheap, homemade toolpost grinder, using a Dremel tool mounted to a quick-change toolholder. Originally, it was designed to hold a HF trim router, but I couldn't use that for this project, so I made a soft wood bushing to hold the Dremel. The 1.25x.045" fiberglass cutoff wheel will last through the entire plunge if you're careful. It takes a while going slow... feeding it .001 at a time with the crossfeed, and rocking the chuck back and forth gently (which is why the chuck key is still in the chuck). With my leg immobilized, I got lots of time to sit on the shop stool and let it work.
    It makes a very smooth, clean slot, and it looks a bunch better than the first one I cut with a mini hacksaw.

mike
    ----> too cheap to buy the proper tools...
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Brilliant, cant wait to try building my own and then getting rid of the PM I bought second hand.

Single stroke is where its at

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DukeInFlorida View Post
    So, I had my Engineering Department (Chuckbuster) work on making me one of these. After making amazing quality parts, he reported that there were some issues:

1) The vertical pushing of the gas checks created some issues. After a couple of gas checks formed, the gas checks started falling back downwards into the tool, creating problems with subsequent gas checks.
    2) Doing these tools on a RockChucker press has the front support of the press in the way. Using other tools, I have been cutting "double wide" strips of material, and punching up one edge, turning around, and going back the other edge. The clearance on this tool, in the front column support of the RockChucker design doesn't allow a double wide strip.

Has anyone made this tool, for use in a RCBS RockChucker?

Results? Suggestions for above?

And, the RockChucker design has a place in the movement of the ram, where the levers "cam over" allowing easier pressure to make the tools work. What I have seen so far is I can't get this tool to work other than mid way through the press stroke. I had to put an extension on the lever arm. Ideas?

I want to use one of these with either the supreme or the RC-2. However I do not have the ability or friends to make a set. I would still like to know if it is good.

Well my thread cutting tooling should be here tomorrow. I will keep things simple for now and follow Edward Smith's write up. I will be cutting threads so that this puppy can fit in my lee press.

Wish me luck

WOW!

That's all I can say. My advice to anyone considering making their own checks is to get or build one of these.

I have already sold the Pat Marlins and have requests from friends to make them one.

These really are the cats meow.

A great big thanks to IDZ and the rest for taking time to put everything down on paper, made life real easy.

Boolit Bub
    Yes! Big thanks to IDZ for posting this. I have built several check makers based on this post including a cap maker similar to the "Tap a Cap".

Again, big thanks to IDZ. I am surprised this hasn't became a sticky yet.

git_dr1

What is the tap a cap used for?

Boolit Bub
    Making percussion caps from pop cans.

Boolit Master
    Wish someone would consider making me a couple of these

I believe this should be on here too. My next job, Made by Mykos. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-with-FreeChex

Name:	fc3_adapter_01.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	130090

Boolit Master

For those interested in making percussion caps, they may be interested in this thread from last summer. I think most of the homemade capmakers had input on the discussion.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...sion-cap-tests

Boolit Bub
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...sion-cap-tests
    Thanks, I don't know how I missed this.

git_dr1

Nothing better to do when you cant go outside.

Name:	IMG_20150210_213528.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	130352

Boolit Master

I heard from a few folks who are making my percussion capmaker and thought I'd share how I prepare the soda can raw material:
    1) Wearing leather gloves and using a sharp paring knife slice off the top of can at the shoulder.
    2) Using a kitchen scissors cut down the side of the can along the straight line were the label paint overlaps.
    3) Use the scissors to cut off the bottom of the can at the shoulder.
    4) Use a guillotine paper cutter to trim off the ragged edges where the top and bottom were cut off. Trim the sheet to 3 3/8" wide.
    5) Now use the paper cutter to cut the 3 3/8" wide sheet into three 1 1/8" wide strips. A tuna fish can makes a perfect storage container for the strips.
    6) Take two strips and place the painted side together and secure the ends with a small piece of tape. The opposing curl of the strips yields a nice flat uniform piece that works great for punching.
    7) A very light spray of furniture polish on the assembled strip lubes it so it punches cleanly and doesn't smear aluminum in the punch and die.
    8) After punching a few dozen caps I've noticed aluminum chips build up in the die so I remove it and shake it out.

When punching the caps make sure the strip is completely inserted in the slot. You should have a nice round hole punched out.
    When punching make sure the ram is completely stroked so the punch and die bottom out. If not fully bottomed out the cap isn't stripped off the forming pin and the next cap will jam into it.

good luck!
    Last edited by Idz; 02-22-2015 at 11:14 AM.

My DIY tall check and a standard OEM check

Thanks for sharing this DIY project! I made a modified 22 tall GC die for use on my 72g 0.228" NOE bullets with .0.216 shank. Worked awesome first try with .013 flashing.. Gas checks snap on nice, but fell off after sizing, untill i figured out the flashing needed to be annealed first. Now the checks grip like mad.

Anxious to PC and test some.

Thanks again for the great info...

Dave.

Boolit Mold
    IDZ,

ALBQ?.....Lincoln, here....

REDD

Boolit Master

The kids are in Abq. We're up in Los Alamos

I've made two of these already. one for .35cal and one for .40 cal. They work great! Many many thanks!
    -ABQ
    Krav Maga Instructor
    Defensive Tactics Instructor for Public Safety Personnel
    Empty Handed Gun Disarming Instructor

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - infantry journal

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast