Titan ReloadingRepackboxPBcastcoInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Easy to build gas checkmaker

Thanks for the pdf. I'll print it out and add it to my huge 'gotta make' pile. Fortunately this freezing winter will keep me at my workbench.

Boolit Master
    I sent an email to the gal whose friend has a lathe, no response.
    Might try again. In the meantime I had an open box of Lyman GCs from the '70s,
    figured I'd use 'em up before the box falls apart.
    RCBS 44, 225 swc, actually about 235gns.

Boolit Buddy

I've got the first two pieces made. Hope to make the forming piece tonight. It punches nice discs, but I got my bore oversize. My 13/32 bit drilled a .426 hole instead of .406. I hope it will still be OK. If not, I guess I can chalk it up to a learning experience and start over. Got plenty of raw material to make another one.

I found it easier to bore a hole under size and then use a boring bar to get to the right size. Makes a better hole too.

Boolit Bub
    What do you use to cut the slice for the stock? Cut off wheel? Getting that 1/32 slice seems tough.

I just used a hack saw but I think a cut off wheel on a grinder (air or electric) would work just fine.

Boolit Buddy

I used a band saw. I'm no machinist, but I didn't understand the instructions about using a collet and a cut off saw. I thought a collet was like a chuck, so I'm not sure how that is used with a cut off saw. I thought about trying a cut off wheel in my die grinder, but was afraid I wouldn't get it square. I left my stock long, drilled the big hole, then clamped it in my band saw to cut the slot, then I cut it to length and machined the 'shell holder' end.

Boolit Master
    How cool is this?
    I have a lathe coming this week and wanted to pop on to get some ideas for a check maker.
    I must have been sending positive Karma over the ether.

Boolit Master
    Nice thread.And I just found TWO 50ft rolls of aluminum roof flashing at the local dumpsters.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

can somebody email me the pdf

my laptop wont let me open the pdf

marc-Antoine_noreau@Hotmail.com

thanks

between antoine and noreau is a Under score

thanks

Boolit Master

22 Bator checkmaker drawings

Here's my drawings for the checkmaker for the 22 Bator cast bullet

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22chk die dwg.jpg 
Views:	917 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	99880

Name:	22chk pin dwg.jpg 
Views:	880 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	99881

Name:	22chk punch dwg.jpg 
Views:	764 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	99882

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jellybean View Post
    Idz, thank you for the post and plans. My machining skills rate somewhere just below my reading comprehension skills, but I'm going to give it a try.

By any chance, does anyone happen to know the specs for .41 caliber gas checks using the Hornady chart Idz used in his post?

Also, I was thinking about trying to use a Lee handgun expander die for a universal punch body for the smaller caliber GCs. Has anyone tried this yet?
    I made a universal punch body out of an old expander die. I bought a piece of 5/8 ground drill rod and make punches out of it that are held in the retired expander die with a set screw. I bored a .626 dia flat bottom hole in the expander die to slip the punches into. With this setup I only have to make a punch and insert it into the threaded expander die, it makes all of the parts for the whole punch round (no single point cut threads).

Here is an old post that may be helpful.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...4-MyCheckmaker

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Fritz D: Im using the same metal (I think) same thickness as yours and was definitely used in the printing industry. Same result. And the .008-.009 check does not crimp tightly on the check shank. The coke bottle cap look gets a little less apparent as the dimension increases I am using .014 aluminum today and am still not real happy with the results. Still looks like the coke cap but now is very difficult to get on the shank. I hope to get this working soon, at the moment a little frustrated with the whole thing, Ill take a brake and think about it a bit. Thoughts? GP

Boolit Buddy
    Okay, I finished one of these in .30 yesterday, it made useable checks from junk flashing and pop cans first try. This is a great set of plans that took a lot of effort and generosity(!) to present for anyone to use.

Thank you IDZ

Boolit Master
    Now if I just had a lathe! (and the knowledge to use it)
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    If any one would be interested in making a couple of these for me , send me a pm, I do not have a lathe or know how to use one

Boolit Master

I have to ask the question that has been asked before... Is there someone here I can work with to get 4 or a subset of the 4 made? I would need .30 .357, .40PB and .416 Hornady style for LBT moulds. I just do not have the tools to even come close to doing this and I really like the simplicity and design. Paid for work of course.

Please PM me if you are interested in doing any of the above, the .416 is the most needed one.

Thanks Matt

In Remembrance

So, I had my Engineering Department (Chuckbuster) work on making me one of these. After making amazing quality parts, he reported that there were some issues:

1) The vertical pushing of the gas checks created some issues. After a couple of gas checks formed, the gas checks started falling back downwards into the tool, creating problems with subsequent gas checks.
    2) Doing these tools on a RockChucker press has the front support of the press in the way. Using other tools, I have been cutting "double wide" strips of material, and punching up one edge, turning around, and going back the other edge. The clearance on this tool, in the front column support of the RockChucker design doesn't allow a double wide strip.

Has anyone made this tool, for use in a RCBS RockChucker?

Results? Suggestions for above?

And, the RockChucker design has a place in the movement of the ram, where the levers "cam over" allowing easier pressure to make the tools work. What I have seen so far is I can't get this tool to work other than mid way through the press stroke. I had to put an extension on the lever arm. Ideas?

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast