Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Easy to build gas checkmaker

Boolit Mold
    IDZ;

thanks alot for posting those plans, my machining to-do list has grown alot since joining this forum

Thank you Idz,
    I wanted to experiment with slightly larger gas checks for my AK that slugged out at .3128
    and there was nothing available off the shelf.
    Material is O-1 and 4140. Machining time maybe 60 minutes. The aluminum is Amerimax .014 roof flashing. My press is a Lee Classic Turret. I'm going shooting on Monday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	checks.jpg 
Views:	970 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	91070
    Last edited by MacFan; 12-20-2013 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    I will have to make one when I get time.

Just an FYI if someone uses 1018 to construct it and wants to harden it for durability. Pick up a small can of Kasenite and follow the directions on the can.(will need oxyfuel torch) It will put a nice 60rc+ case roughly .030" deep on the steel. All the nuts on my Lee decapper pins get case hardened with it.(helps prevent galling)
    I'll have to agree that these probably won't need hardening. I've cut and formed over 600 checks in the past couple days and see absolutely no evidence of wear while punching .014 roof flashing. If wear does become a problem I'll probably just take a slight trim cut off the punch and die both... or trim cut and harden if I ever feel really ambitious.

Boolit Buddy
    I've made a gas check maker using the plans on this thread, but my first gas checks are nothing special. I'm using .008" aluminum offset printing plates to make my checks (for NOE 269145 mold). The punch is working perfectly and forming a clean 3/8" diameter disk. The base of the check is formed nicely but the upper edges are very ragged and some of the checks have little chunks torn out. I think the forming hole in my punch needs to be smoothed, but I'm wondering if the printing plate alloy might be too brittle. Has anyone ever used offset printing plates to make gas checks?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gas check 1.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	228.2 KB 
ID:	92121

Boolit Bub
    I think your material is too thin. I get the same results with Pat Marlins checkmaker with 0.009" aluminium flashing.
    Peace if possible, truth at all costs.
    Martin Luther

Quote Originally Posted by quiver View Post
    I think your material is too thin.
    Yep. I've had good results with .016" aluminum flashing.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Vendor Sponsor

Nice! Thanks for the plans!

I have a few honey do projects to knock out before I can get back into the shop and try this out but I think I will like to be able to make my own check maker and then remake (tune it) for me and my mould's needs!

OUTSTANDING! Thanks for posting and sharing your work! Michael Rix
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by quiver View Post
    I think your material is too thin. I get the same results with Pat Marlins checkmaker with 0.009" aluminium flashing.
    Thanks for the reply. The gas check shank on my mold is way oversize to accommodate a thick gas check, that is why I was using .008" material.

Here is an old post that may help.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...4-MyCheckmaker

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Since I can't find good .410 GC's I guess I'll have to study these plans to try and make some.
    Men lie about 3 things, gas mileage, sex, and group size

Boolit Master
    Thanks

I'm glad to see people interested in making their own gc's, the makers are simple enough to make & use. Being able to customize you gc's to your specific needs is a huge plus. I've made gc makers that use a hammer, use a reloading press & use a arbor press. Still like to use an arbor press the best for gc's but that's just me. I do use the arbor press to swage lead bullets & bullet jackets so seeing how it's laying around I figured I might as well use it.

I'm also a huge fan of the 1 pull of the handle ='s 1 gc. A couple of gc makers I made from scrap steel I had laying around. Left, 44cal gc maker with them installed on some 200gr hp's (H&G 142). Right, 35cal gc maker with them installed on a 358156hp.

Attachment 92895

Any of these styles of gc makers in this thread are easy to make, if nothing else give one of them a try. It's only around $1 in materials to make them.

forrest r

Boolit Bub

I made me one of these and i like it. Thanks for the plans

I checked a while back on 7/8-14 rod at my local machine tool store, don't remember what price they quoted me, but it was more than I felt like spending at the time to make a push-through sizer. Printed out these plans last week, went back today and hit the mini-jackpot. Pulled the 3-foot stick of rod out of the display and asked what the price was. She looked, said, "How about $1.99?" Hell, I'da paid that per foot! Obviously, I asked if they had any more, but, no, they're closing it out. I did, however, immediately go buy lottery tickets.

mike
    ----> Clear the lathe off!
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone here with a machine shop want to make me a couple of these? I need a 30, 357 and 45 caliber one. PM me and we can discuss the price.
    MJ

These things work great!!! Made one in .22, .30 and 45 pb with soda cans for material. Thanks for posting the plans you saved guys like me a ton!

Thanks for the plans. I have a FreeChex III gas check maker for my .224 cast bullets, but I am wanting one for 30 caliber bullets, especially now that I have built a 300 BLK. And I would like to get one for 357 Mag cast bullets. My other caliber that I cast for I really don't need a gas check maker. I have saved the plans, now it is to find someone with the tools or a machine shop that I can get to make me two of these. I could probably do it myself but I don't have a lathe or a drill press. IF anyone would be willing to make me just these two I mentioned, send me a PM with what you would charge me. I will keep it discreat if you don't want to be making them for everyone. Thanks.
    WVHunter129
    Aim Small/Miss Small

Boolit Master
    I talked with my Dental Tech, she is familiar with Castboolits.
    Her friend has a lathe, I sent the link to this thread.
    I'm hoping they'll be interested in trying it!

I skimmed through the pdf, haven't figured out how one die will make
    different diameter GCs, does it need several different punch assemblies?

My RCBS 44-225 works pretty good with a GC and 11gn of Unique.
    I'm also trying powdercoating which works well, but probably won't give up on
    traditional boolit types, I like variety, and what works still works.

Boolit Mold
    Idz, thank you for the post and plans. My machining skills rate somewhere just below my reading comprehension skills, but I'm going to give it a try.

By any chance, does anyone happen to know the specs for .41 caliber gas checks using the Hornady chart Idz used in his post?

Also, I was thinking about trying to use a Lee handgun expander die for a universal punch body for the smaller caliber GCs. Has anyone tried this yet?

Boolit Bub
    Made a .310 set out of 4140 scraps on sunday, a little average with with drink can ali. So I got a sheet of .45 mm today as that was as small as they had. After the die got a slight hone and polish it makes nice checks that push on tight and size down nicely. The only down fall is now I'll have to make all the other cal die sets I need.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast