Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: versalite wads

Boolit Master

versalite wads

Anybody know where I can find current loading data using 40 year old 12 ga. Pacific Verelite wads? I realized after going back out to the garage the title of the thread is incorrect. I just found 500 red wads, 250 blue wads and 250 green wads. I know they came from my dad's garage, the price for a bag of 250 is $2.18. The loading data on the bags references paper hulls, or small and large capacity hulls, I'd like to load them in Remington Gun Club hulls. I'm new at shotgun reloading, and hesitant to just "load 'em up.... what could possibly go wrong?" Any ideas where to look?
    Last edited by GL49; 05-26-2013 at 12:36 AM. Reason: incorrect wad spelling

Boolit Grand Master

I have blue Pacific Versalite wads that I am using up as slug wads. It seems to me I have birdshot reloading info in my collection I will take a look later and post anything I find. I am thinking my old Lyman Shotshell Reloading manual has info.

Yes, you are right to ask. While I don't worry to much about wad substitution (after checking various sources and looking at pressures), substitutions in general should be carefully assessed as pressures can be affected significantly. I think the biggest issues are hull and primer substitutions which can both affect pressures by about 3000 PSI which is significant especially if a load is at max and the the pressure is increased.

Wads can certainly have an affect depending on gas seal and cushion stiffness. Again, my opinion but from what I see in the manuals, loads using fast powders seem to be most affected by a stiffer cushion section, increasing pressure by effectively reducing volume at ignition (less compression). My opinion only.

In any case, don't hesitate to ask if you have a question.

I will see what I can find for you.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

Okay then, it seems all of my Lyman Reloading Handbooks have some info using Pacific Versalite (Veralite? seems there is two spellings) wads.

I haven't looked up all of them but I did find a few listings. If you let me know what hulls and loads you want to use, I can see what specific info there is. If your use is limited, I can post or PM you load data... or I guess I could scan pages and send those. The info did seem pretty spread out though.

Let me know what components you have we'll go from there.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    The red are 1 1/8 oz.I use old manual data.My dad left me a couple of bags

Im not sure but I think verelite and versalite are different wads.Versalite are once again being made by downrange...http://www.downrangemfg.com/index.ph...ries/versalite...
    Somewhere I have a pacific shotshell load data book.If I can find it Ill see if I can scan a page or two...Robin

Boolit Grand Master

Okay then, checking my Lyman manuals:

- 2nd ed has info on green and blue Pacific Verelite ~ haven't checked load data yet
    - 3rd ed has info on Hornady green and blue Verelite wads... and red Verelite wads
    - 4th ed has list info on Hornady Red Versalite and White Versalite ~ haven't checked for load data yet

So yup, spelling differences and also design differences. the Verelite wads have a cross shaped column for cushion leg while the Versalite wads have what appear to be two pairs of separate legs.

I thought mine were Pacific Versalite Blue but must be Verelite blue. I will check the bag.

The OP's post title says Versalite but he mentions Verelite in the post. Since he has red, blue and green I have to think he has both.

In any case, the Lyman manuals do have info so the offer still stands. Let me know what other components you have and I will check for loads using Versalite or Verelite wads in appropriate shot weights.

Versalite/Verelite... whoda thunk it! I may have to get my eyeballs calibrated if it turns out mine are Verelite (which I am sure they are now).

Longbow

Boolit Master
    The wads are "verelite" wads, and they do have the cross shaped center for a cushion leg. The leg is stiff enough I would call it a "column" rather than a "cushion". There's no flex in the leg at all. The bags of wads have loading data written on the bag, but the references to the hulls they can be loaded in simply refer to "SC" (small capacity), "LC" (large capacity), either plastic or paper cases, and gives a few examples of each type of hull.

LC (large capacity) Red and Blue wads
    R-P hulls : high brass
    Winchester-Western: AA and High Brass
    Federal: Champion and High Brass paper or plastic

SC (small capacity) Green Wads
    R-P: All American and Paper Target
    Winchester-Western:Paper Target

I have a couple of thousand Remington "Gun Club" plastic hulls and a couple thousand Federal "Top Gun" hulls, I was hoping I could find a load suitable for breaking clay birds using these wads and one or both of the brands of cases.

The green and red wads, if I can read the old bag correctly, are suitable for 1 1/8 oz, , the blue is suitable for 1 1/4 oz.

I hope I figured out how to attach a picture.

I've got Promo and Red Dot powder available at this time, and I have access to others if I ask my shotgun reloading friends. I have CCI, Federal, and Winchester primers on my shelf. If the wads are too short, I've also got a few thousand different thicknesses of cardboard and cork wads I can use as a filler to take up space. Maybe one of these would be suitable for slugs if they don't work for a shot load? Like I said, I'm new at loading for shotguns, my previous experience has just been following published loading data, but I'm lost with these wads.
    I wish I had my dad's old loading books, they weren't in the box with all the wads when I found it.

Thanks to all for your help, it's appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imagejpeg_2-2.jpg  
    Last edited by GL49; 05-29-2013 at 01:48 AM.

Pacific verelite load data from a pacific shotshell laoding manual...
    Last edited by Box13; 05-29-2013 at 11:54 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Not a lot of help here I am afraid.

My manuals list Pacific Verelite in green and blue only (no red) and Hornady Versalite in red only.

There are very few listings for any of them and I have no load listings for Federal Top gun or Remington Gun Club hulls.

The federal hulls I have listings for are:

- Federal Gold Medal
    - Federal Champion II
    - Federal plastic hunting hulls with paper basewad
    - Federal paper hulls

It seems to me that the Remington Gun Club hulls are an equivalent to another hull or at least share load data. You might try the Hodgdon and Accurate Powder websites to check.

As for the Federals, I am betting the Top gun is the same as one of the others but a guy wants to be sure before loading. I guess that is your problem is finding equivalent hulls or wads.

You might try contacting BPI. I found them to be very helpful with answering questions. They also have a number of single page "bulletins" with load data for specialty loads and components. You may find something in their website.

If you can find equivalent hulls then I may have some load listings of use.

Longbow

Boolit Mold
    Do you have old hulls to use too? Do you have any of the obsolete primers that are listed in those load sheets?

Keep in mind that shotguns are not nearly as forgiving with pressure changes as rifles are, and you'll have no warning of overpressure until it's too late.

Is it worth potentially blowing up a gun over less than $20 worth of wads?

Yes, I do still have a few of those primers, but for only nostalgic purposes. But then again I used a few 109s and/or 57s a couple of years ago for a encore 50x209. The AAs of that era are different than the AAs of this era even though the manuals say they are interchangeable. A number of wads of that era had high cork and paper base wads which alleviated a lot of pressure along with the column. If you find older hulls like Holiday, Churchill, Montgomery Wards, and AAs or the hulls listed in Box 13's posts then you should be able to use them. Or, If you can get info from one of the manufactures. Other than that you would need a bit of experience to load them. No coffee stains on the pages of those books, neat reader.

I think cci 109 primers are the same as thier 209s...some of the real old 109 had an unsealed flash hole and you had to be careful with using ball powders as the tiny balls could get into the primer.I have 6 bricks of 109s but with sealed openings.Also 109s are nickle plated.
    Remington 97 primers are the same as remington 209p primers.
    Federal paper hulls are still being made and are a favorite of some clay shooters.You should be able to find once fired pretty easy.
    I found this info from several sources including some people here.Heres something from claybusters...http://claybuster100.tripod.com/clay...page/id13.html...
    I try to give out good info but you should check everything out with other sources...................Robin
    Last edited by Box13; 05-30-2013 at 11:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by drsfmd View Post
    Do you have old hulls to use too? Do you have any of the obsolete primers that are listed in those load sheets?

Keep in mind that shotguns are not nearly as forgiving with pressure changes as rifles are, and you'll have no warning of overpressure until it's too late.

Is it worth potentially blowing up a gun over less than $20 worth of wads?

I've found 400 Federal #209 primers, they're old too, the price is $1.17 on a box of 100, and I've got 400 CCI #157 primers that must have been purchased at the same time as the wads. Old hulls, I have none. I don't plan on loading these unless I feel comfortable with the data I've gotten. New shotguns are easier to find than new eyes and fingers.