RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Illinois conceal carry

Boolit Buddy

Illinois conceal carry

Tomorrow may be the big day for us in Illinois. The great powers to be in Chicago have given their blessing to SB2193. It is not the best carry law, but not he worst either. I believe some of the restrictions are due to end up being challenged in court, but that is another day. I for one will be glad to get my CCW permit back....moving back to this state with Chicago running the show from a more common sense state has been difficult at best.

What are some opinions of the law?
    NRA Life member
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection Inside the Home Instructor
    NRA Reloading Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    ISP Certified CC Instructor w/approved curriculum and own private range

Just remember.....there is always room in the safe for one more, if not....get another safe!

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    The bill is not exactly what I like BUT after over 75 years here this is a step in the right direction.

Will we quit our fight to be as free as others that have much better CCW laws? NEVER.

Most other states started with a far worst law but once the dam was breached they kept picking away till they have at least reasonable laws.

Who ever thought we here in Illinois would live long enough to have this discussion?

Now if we can get past the senate AND a governor that has constantly said he will NEVER sign a CCW bill into law.

Can we over ride his veto?

At the moment it looks like we might have the votes. Will we have everything in place to qualify for CCW by June 9? Who knows what has been going on in the back room but I would not be surprised to find out that the rest is just waiting on the votes.

The big wins are SHALL ISSUE and STATE WIDE removing the HOME RULE powers and voiding Chicago and CROOK County restrictive anti gun laws.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Local news reported

2 or more dui
    5 or more arrest

Local police can also stop you if they feel your dangerous

Can anyone confirm this?
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    Local news reported

2 or more dui
    5 or more arrest

Can anyone confirm this?
    Good morning Where is this quote from ?
    But from my side I would say.. good idea ! How many innocents are killed and disabled yearly by drunks driving vehicles. 5 arrests for crime against honest people .. you want that for a neighbor ? Used to be sherrifs could tell inresting person to get out of town. Now we give them free medical,food stamps... Marvelous!
    Last known thief I heard of where I grew up (Riverside, Mich) was tied to a hitching post and whipped. He never came back nor a futher threat. I saw the post. Was 6 foot tall and had a steel ring on top. I always thought it was a strange hitching post for a horse in the town center by the old railroad station.
    Mike in Peru
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    But from my side I would say.. good idea ! How many innocents are killed and disabled yearly by drunks driving vehicles. 5 arrests for crime against honest people .. you want that for a neighbor ? Used to be sherrifs could tell inresting person to get out of town. Now we give them free medical,food stamps... Marvelous!
    Last known thief I heard of where I grew up (Riverside, Mich) was tied to a hitching post and whipped. He never came back nor a futher threat. I saw the post. Was 6 foot tall and had a steel ring on top. I always thought it was a strange hitching post for a horse in the town center by the old railroad station.
    Mike in Peru
    Mike in Peru
    Need posts like that in every town!!! And used when needed!

Kansas had to override a veto to get CCW passed. She is now an obummer lackey. Sectary of HHS. In some cases the will of the people does win out.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    Local news reported

2 or more dui
    5 or more arrest

Can anyone confirm this?
    This is the main reason I'm not totally in support of SB2193. The bill does have a provision which allows ANY application to be challenged for cause by ANY law enforcement agency in the state, regardless of jurisdiction. (the Cook County Sheriff could challenge downstate applications if he could dream up some 'justifiable' reason) Challenged applications would then go to a 7-person board, appointed by the governor, for review and final disposition...however, there will only be ONE review board for the entire state and its meetings would be EXEMPT from the Open Meetings Act and, therefore, NOT open to public scrutiny. The review board is supposed to respond to any challenge within (90) days but with only the one board, it's not difficult to foresee the applications of those not 'politically-connected' (or politically active on the 'wrong' side') being held up indefinitely under the proposed process...I mean, 'black letter' Illinois LAW states that FOIDs will be issued within (30) days but what's the current wait? Four months? Six months?

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 05-24-2013 at 08:53 AM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

Ohios law wasnt the best when enacted at first. But as people relized the benifits it was providing ( even to those not carrying) it was modified and amended. Same as Michigans and Flordias. In sevral states no permit is need to carry. Some have open carry laws even. Get your foot in the door so to speak and work from there. With chicago running the show in Illinois it will be an uphill battle until they decide they have had enough of being defensless victims. I have my permit and use it daily, the cost is the same wether used daily weekly or once a month. . But then I would carry before the permit if I was forced to go into a rough area.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Mike in Peru
    Mike in Peru
    My local news.

Some that young were young and dumb. Then they grew up

I know one person that got a dui at 20 then one 19 years later
    BTW a traffic ticket is an arrest.

This wont effect me at all, but it seem a lot wont make the cut.

But this is ......................

LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

Now if we can get past the senate AND a governor that has constantly said he will NEVER sign a CCW bill into law.

Can we over ride his veto?
    Bill, Wisconsin had the same problem . Chrome-dome Doyle would veto any CCW bill that passed the assembly and senate. Then we had to try to over ride his veto. Came within one vote the last time we tried before Scot Walker got elected.

The swing vote was a moderate IIRC republican that was going to vote with us. Some *******,(sorry Gerty), said publicly that once passed, we could modify it to be even better. Better meaning less requirements and easier application. That bill was far from what we have now, a good system.

I certainly hope you get it through. It sucks to be the last state to get a common sense bill so you can exercise your rights. AND I agree that you shouldn't NEED a special bill, the second amendment should be enough!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    My major concern is the training and instructor certification requirements. They are really vague and like others have said before, they wrote in 45 days to decide details.....pretty ambitious for the state of Illinois.
    NRA Life member
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection Inside the Home Instructor
    NRA Reloading Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    ISP Certified CC Instructor w/approved curriculum and own private range

Just remember.....there is always room in the safe for one more, if not....get another safe!

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/98/S...2193ham002.htm

If Krashenbirn has already figured that out, why didn't our side, and preclude the problem?

Look I just wiped out a whole page of thoughts on this thing, because there are way too many sections like this:

" (f) The Department of State Police shall adopt
    10 rules not inconsistent with this Section to implement this
    11 system."

Way too much "We have to pass the bill to find out what we are going to make the rules for later" for my taste. I have watched the fun and games of the ISP writing rules up before.

------------------------------

In section 130:

"This exemption does not authorize the general private
    13 possession of any weapon from which 8 or more shots or
    14 bullets can be discharged by a single function of the
    15 firing device
    , but only such possession and activities as
    16 are within the lawful scope of a licensed manufacturing
    17 business described in this paragraph."

Uh, WHAT??

------------

Sections 135-140; *** are statutes on Remedies for Orders of Protection doing in this bill???????

-----------

And the question of fees look like nothing but a cash cow dog and pony show to me. If I move, lose, or have my license stolen it will cost me $75.00???.

And, every time I want to renew, I have to go through THREE more hours of training?? And I can't even find the renewal fee, how much is that going to be??

This is a win?
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned

Why aren't yall pushing for constitutional carry on the 9th. It seems the current bill is very expensive to get the license and renew.

Andy

Boolit Grand Master

Well I was up till 4:30 this mourning reading all kinds of STUFF from many folks calling themselves EXPERTS and posting all kinds of restrictions SUPPOSEDLY in the new offering.

If folks like MOLLY B, TODD and folks that actually are talking face to face with the real powers say "TAKE IT" I say the same.

Do I trust MOLLY B?

YES all day long. She and Mike have driven 10s of thousands of miles just last year alone and have given more seminars on our 2A rights than any one else in the state and I am proud to call them friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Why aren't yall pushing for constitutional carry on the 9th. It seems the current bill is very expensive to get the license and renew.
    I can't see Chicago ever letting that happen.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Why aren't yall pushing for constitutional carry on the 9th. It seems the current bill is very expensive to get the license and renew. Andy
    That is *all* that any of the "Good Guy's" really want, the thought is that having a "good" carry law in place will help stop a *storm down the road from happening by the Bad Guy's taking someone to court for a questionalble shoot and winning any kind of damaging decision.

Constitutional Carry is my Right, right now. I don't want to have to jump through the hoops to start with.

But then, good common sense have been unavailable for the most part in the land between the rivers for a very long time anyway.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

Is your town over 25,000?

If so they can vote themselves home rule just like the county of cook is.

Under home rule powers they can pass all the new laws they want as long as the new laws are HARSHER than the state laws. Constitutional carry will not benefit millions of Illinois residents.

This is why so many are willing to tale what is offered. It removes ALL of the gun restrictions now in place in cook county and other home rule areas and prevents them from playing CAN YOU TOP THIS again.

What a lot of folks down south have to do is look around and see the communities near them that COULD join the anti gun club.

Do you have a college near you?

This law REMOVES the power of home rule for gun laws STATE wide.

Any word on this? I thought the vote was supposed to come today.

-----------edit------------
    Just answered my own question: http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=7676

Boolit Grand Master

It PASSED 80+ to 30 but Quinn said it is DEAD IF it ever reaches his desk.

Lets just hope we go in with a surplus of votes to over ride his veto the very next day.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    Is your town over 25,000?

If so they can vote themselves home rule just like the county of cook is.

Under home rule powers they can pass all the new laws they want as long as the new laws are HARSHER than the state laws. Constitutional carry will not benefit millions of Illinois residents.

This is why so many are willing to tale what is offered. It removes ALL of the gun restrictions now in place in cook county and other home rule areas and prevents them from playing CAN YOU TOP THIS again.

What a lot of folks down south have to do is look around and see the communities near them that COULD join the anti gun club.

Do you have a college near you?

This law REMOVES the power of home rule for gun laws STATE wide.
    Bill...

I think it's time for everyone to step back and take a sniff of the what's in the air. Now that it's passed the House, I still doubt there's any way Rep. Phelps' version of SB2193 is gonna make it back through the Senate with 'home rule premption' intact. Cullerton (Senate President) has already said "NO!; Sen. Kwame Raoul (Mayor Emmanual's pet anti-gunner of the week and author of the original SB2193) has said "NO!; and Governor Quinn has vowed to veto if it does pass...and, according to my pro-CCW State Senator's count, there just ain't enough votes to override if he does veto.

When this bill gets back to the Senate for debate (and further amendment), whatever gets passed there, will go to conference committee to 'negotiate' resolution of the differences between the House and Senate versions. This is where it'll get sticky 'cause who knows what gonna be given away behind closed doors in order to reach an "acceptable compromise"? My guess is that the very least that will pass both houses and get Quinn's signature would have to include: (1) a home-rule exception for Cook Co, (2) the higher application/renewal fees originally proposed; and (3) a requirement that CCW aps be approved by the law enforcement agency with primary jurisdiction for the applicant's place of residence. Just my observation based upon past performance(s) of the Illinois Legislature...i.e. "Hope for the best and expect the worst."

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 05-24-2013 at 03:17 PM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast