Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Had to put down my old friend

Had to put down my old friend

We found Thunder a 5+ year old Golden with his guardian Shepollie - Prince at a NO KILL shelter - And he has been a loyal and faithful companion.

Over 12 years of good times with this dog - He's passed onto a better place now after his 17th birthday.
    It's one of the toughest things to do in life and gets no easier as I get older.

R.I.P. Thunder

RIP Thunder. My condolences to your lost companion.

That's one reason I don't like having pets, the feeling of losing it is very powerful.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    We found Thunder a 5+ year old Golden with his guardian Shepollie - Prince at a NO KILL shelter - And he has been a loyal and faithful companion.

Over 12 years of good times with this dog - He's passed onto a better place now after his 17th birthday.
    It's one of the toughest things to do in life and gets no easier as I get older.

R.I.P. Thunder

had to put down my my old friend also. he thought he was still a pup and jumped into the middle of a sow bear with cubs in my yard.

i got the bear off of him but the damage was done and he was suffering so i put him down.

he was 12 years old and didnt have many days left regardless of the bear.

and your right. it doesn't get any easier.

sorry to hear but you sound like you have great memories to pass along.
    CD

Artful - the love he shows for you in his eyes in that photo is all that is needed to understand how special dogs are to us. Blessed are the memories you have of him. All dogs go to heaven.

R.I.P. Thunder.
    "As democracy is perfected, the office of the Presidency represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." H.L. Mencken Baltimore Evening Sun, 26 July 1920

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the Public with the Public's money". Alexis de Tocqueville 1835

great memories for sure. But I believe a piece of us dies with them. I remember them all with great love.they are with me always. there is no greater love. R.I.P. Thunder.
    Last edited by gandydancer; 07-12-2013 at 01:01 AM.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Grand Master
    And he was fortunate to have you as his human.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

I have been fortunate to have had some great dogs in my life, and he was one of the best.

Boolit Master

My condolences for your loss. I've had the experience before, and it is a really sad time. Be strong, shake it off and go find another unfortunate friend that needs you. Don't grieve over the ones that passed on, celebrate the good times you had with them, as you help another recover/enjoy life with you.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Sorry for your loss, had to do the same back in January. Picked up a pup just over a week ago from Barktown Rescue and she is coming along with learning her new home and rules. Puppies are just a hoot to watch, with their boundless energy. Then they crash in earnest to recharge.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

I have two young pups - one two years and one 9 months, and they help fill the void but it will take a month or two before I quit dividing treats by 3 instead of two and quit listening for him in the yard when the others start barking.

Boolit Master
    You were so lucky to have had him for a good long time. He was lucky to have someone like you who was able to do this near impossible, but unavoidable act of love.

We all looked at your pic of Thunder.
    Our deepest condolences,

The smokeywolf family
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

sorry for your loss
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

A Man and His Dog

An old man and his dog were walking down a dirt road for quite sometime when they finally came to a beautiful marble wall with a golden gate. The person standing guard was dressed in a white robe and said:

"Welcome to Heaven". It was then the old man realized he and his dog were dead and traveling down Eternity Trail. They both were hot and very thirsty as they had been walking for a long time. The old man was so happy to be at Heaven's gate.

He started to enter with his dog following him but the gatekeeper stopped him and said: "I'm sorry, but dogs are not allowed in Heaven so he can't come in with you", as he gestured towards the man's dog.

The old man replied: "But my dog has been my faithful companion all his life. If my dog can't come in with me, then I will stay out too. I will not desert him now, not even to enter Heaven."

The gatekeeper replied: "Suit yourself, but I must warn you, the Devil's on this road and he'll try to sweet talk you into his area. He will promise you anything to get you to enter. So if you don't leave your dog now and come in, you will spend eternity on this road hot and thirsty or end up in Hell."

man dog heavenBut the old man still refused to enter and continued walking along the dirt road with his dog.

After walking a long ways further, the man and his dog came upon a rundown fence with no gate. He saw a man dressed in old ragged clothes just on the other side, standing next to a large shady tree. The old man called out to him saying:

"Excuse me Sir. My dog and I have been on this road all day and are very hot and thirsty. Would it be okay if we took a much needed rest under your shady tree?"

"Of course", the other man replied. "There's some cold water under the tree too. So please come in and help yourselves."

The old man asks: "Are you inviting my dog too, because I won't come in without him. In fact, that's why I chose not to go to Heaven because I was told dogs are not allowed."

The man smiled and said, "Welcome to Heaven, and bring your dog!"

The old man exclaimed, "You mean this is Heaven? And dogs are allowed? How come that fellow down the road said they weren't?"

"That was the Devil and he gets all the souls who are willing to give up a life long companion for a few small comforts. Those who choose that route soon find out their mistake but it's too late. The dogs always find their way here and the fickle people who abandoned them stay in Hell, for eternity."

"You see my friend, GOD would not allow dogs to be banned from Heaven. After all, He created them to be man's companions in life, so He would never separate them in death

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

Last edited by DCP; 06-04-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER