Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painful safety reminder

Banned

Painful safety reminder

Learn from the pic I am about to post, just because your hands were dry going in the welding gloves does not mean they didnt sweat producing steam when picking up a cast iron skillet of lead. Did this little number while smelting down some range lead.

Learn from this because trust me STUPID HURTS!!!!!

Owee!!! be careful bro.

Boolit Master

That shows a lot of courage to share your experience, but also a lot of class. Some folks wouldn't share their mistakes for fear of ridicule. You have shared yours as an example of caring more about others safety that your 'pride' or whatever. A very good tip as most folks might not think of the sweat threat. Kudos for you and thank you.

I would like to add that leather gloves are great as the leather holds up to heat rather well. The stitching in leather goods degrade faster due to the heat and seams can give way. I have had seams fail leaving the ability for skin that should be protected turn out to be quite vulnerable. Check your safety equipment. I have two sets of gloves, two sets of eye protection, and several sets of pliers or vise grips at the ready. Whenever I have help, or a trainee. I like to have the equipment for them to safely assist or to cast with and not have to share equipment. I still want to get a leather welders apron from Harbor Freight even though I've never had cause for the need of one. A barrier used and not needed beats the other way around.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Banned

It got bad because I had about 7-10 lb left in the skillet, not enough to dip out but enough to pour out. Once I had it in hand and it started to burn I had to carefully place the skillet back on the burner before letting go. These were the really nice welding gloves from tractor supply, not some harbor freight crapola. I have been doing this for close to 10 years and this is the worst burn yet.

It will heal but if it keeps one person(new or experienced) from doing this I will take the butt chewing!

Boolit Master
    One other thing about the leather gloves is that once you start to feel the heat, just setting it down or turning loose doesn't always guarantee that it's going to cool down right then either. The heat will still be soaking through even after you put the hot stuff down, so keep that in mind.

Being a welder and fitter for a dozen or so years I can testify to plenty of things I should have let go lots quicker than I did. The bad thing is that the nerves in my hands aren't quite as sensitive as they once were, or should be, so nowadays usually by the time I feel hot hot, it's usually either blister time or the white seared skin if I don't have on gloves.
    Later,
    Mike / TX

Boolit Mold
    That one reason i WILL NOT pick the pot up....i spoon it out

Boolit Master

Well I'm glad you showed that burn as I had one that's finally healed, but heres my story. It was cool out 2 weeks ago, so I was wearing sweats while casting. With my left knee having a torn ACL and Hamstring Ligaments torn and inflamation thru out, I can only stand so long and sitting on a bar stool is a no no..
    But I sit in a computer chair, and was casting. Well the bench is higher than the chair, I pulled the mold back from under my Lyman furnace and hit the spout as I was bringing it out.
    Well the sprue was hot, the lead came off the puddle and just did a perfect landing right where my sweats ended and my socks began.......needless before I could get the mold set down, and get to moving the fabric away from my skin, I had a 3rd degree burn the size of a half dollar.
    So long story short...wear clothing like jeans that cover to your ankles!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by newmexicocrawler View Post
    That one reason i WILL NOT pick the pot up....i spoon it out
    And there is the safety message of the day.

Boolit Master

trigger finger to that sucks
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    And there is the safety message of the day.
    Yes, lots of excellent advice here about "Murphy's Law" and kudos to 338RemUltraMag for starting the thread.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    trigger finger to that sucks
    Yes it does, I shot my Keltec PT-40 without thinking about it because of it being bandaged up. Painful reminder number two: No skin on shooting hand means no shooting pistols!

Boolit Grand Master

Hmmm. Medium rare?

Thnx for your sharing your OOPS! We all learn from others (How to do something, and how not to do something).
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master
    It is really easy to get careless when you first start casting and you go for weeks/months without a mishap. EVERYONE will get burned eventually. Hopefully your first accident is minor and you realize that wearing good PPE is a given when casting. I see pots on make shift "supports" or rickety tables and cringe. Accidents waiting to happen. I actually saw one guy casting in sandals. Jeesh!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    It is really easy to get careless when you first start casting and you go for weeks/months without a mishap. EVERYONE will get burned eventually. Hopefully your first accident is minor and you realize that wearing good PPE is a given when casting. I see pots on make shift "supports" or rickety tables and cringe. Accidents waiting to happen. I actually saw one guy casting in sandals. Jeesh!
    I have been doing this for close to 10 years, first major mishap, if read you would know I was wearing welding gloves. I have picked up the skillet many times with the gloves but it finally bit me.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for sharing. I had never thought of the time factor from having picked up the melting pot and not being able to just drop it like I'm sure you wanted to. One of my old flight instructors, years back, told me that we HAD to learn from the mistakes of others because we wouldn't live long enough to make them all ourselves!
    Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory.

Boolit Buddy
    MAN! 338RUM ya gota watch out,,
    I am still new here but at least let me get to know ya before ya Roast your self,,
    that can happen to anyone,,
    Guess when we get comfortable and start to think about other things and not the work at hand,,

Keep it clean and get some neosporian (sp) and PVC Tape on it, I recommend +33 scotch brand (Electrical tape really works on a hard working hand)

Man that has to hurt out of this world,
    Hope ya feel better

Patrick
    Trust in God and Keep your Powder Dry ~ Oliver Cromwell

It's Said Republicans want to Pour all your Money down the Drain,,
    Where as the Democrats want a Bigger Drain,

Please Give me 24 to 48 Hours to respond to PM, Thank You

My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter!

Boolit Master

Worst burn in my casting experience was on a splash to my right wrist (I'm a lefty) of about a teaspoon of lead that came up from the pot and hit my Timex Ironman and then as it melted the rubber strap into my wrist it then trickled down under the band to my skin itself along the inner wrist. I was wearing short nomex combat gloves that stopped at the wrist. If I wore my usual gauntlet-length Nomex Avaitor Gloves I would not have gained a permanent scar on the inside of my wrist as well as a ruined watch.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

I dont use gloves for melting scrap or casting. After many years, i learned what works & what dont.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 05-23-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Ouchie

Boolit Master
    Any of us that have been around for a bit have learned from the school of hard knocks...unfortunately. Let's hope this keeps a few from learning the hard way!
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast