Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 1885 Trapper in 38-55

Boolit Bub

1885 Trapper in 38-55

Howdy all...just wanted to share a bit of joy! After two years of wondering why the trapper was made...I decided to get one in 38-55...holy moly...not only is it as handy as it looks...it might be the single most accurate rifle I have ever owned...Shooting 9 grains of Unique under an unsized Saeco 255 at .382 with Alox lube until my Magma sizing die gets here...no kiddin...me and three other shooters were hitting clay target halves at 100 yards....couldn't believe it! So...I give it a great big thumbs up...anyway...just wanted to share...almost makes me think I should have not ordered the 1885 Traditional Sporter in the same caliber! Hope it shoots as well....

Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1885 Trapper.jpg  

Boolit Master
    They are sweet tools!
    ph4570

I have the 1885 like that with the 22" barrel and I love it. Rcbs 312 Bps boolit 3 grains of 4759 and 42 grains of Goex FFg, accurate as I can point it.

Boolit Bub
    Chrono'd those today..1150fps....

Boolit Buddy
    I want to be you right now! Nice rifle.

Boolit Bub
    Chronographed some black powder yesterday..38 grains ok KIK 3F...1150 average...same accuracy....

Boolit Buddy
    I have two of these carbines (38-55 and 30-40 Krag), neither of which has been shot in 2-3 years. I resolved to shoot both this week.

Boolit Bub
    Seems to shoot the same .382 or .380...the bore is .3785 according to my measurements...had some home made BP. lube I used for smokeless...and I think it shot just as well or better than 50/50....anyway..this 38-55 thing is really an eye opener for me...less recoil than 45-70...and shoots fine to 300 yards...glad I jumped in...but not very good timing...cannot find more brass for the life of me...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Taco Belly View Post
    ..cannot find more brass for the life of me...

Man ain't that the truth! I have spent the last couple of days looking for 38-55 stuff, particularly dies and brass, but except for a few bullets (both cast and jacketed) it's like looking for hens teeth.

Boolit Master

Well, if anyone here is interested - I have 4 bags of new Winchester 38-55 brass - a set of 38-55 dies - and many boxes of jacketed .377 bullets for 38-55. All came to me from a gent in a neighboring town who folded up his reloading tent. Everything new is for sale at below retail. Just PM me if interested
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Buddy

.38-55 Brass

PM sent - answered too quick - I see it's Winchester brass just like to know length. Thanks
    Last edited by Buzz64; 05-27-2013 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Correction of PM question

Boolit Master

If you really want the Starline brass, they make it like twice a year. I had backordered mine from Midway and just waited - impatiently. Took about 5 months. It was worth the wait. In the meantime, I gathered up some new RCBS Cowboy dies (beautiful) and got a mold or two and had everything ready to go. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy

Captaint - asked this same question on the other thread but anyway - what did you size your boolits to?

Found it - you did .379
    Last edited by Buzz64; 05-28-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Additional comment

Boolit Buddy

Hey Taco - where did you get your 'boolit belt' shown in the first pic?

Boolit Bub
    Some guy in...of all places...Kansas! He would make them custom...think his name was Tom Ewing from Cedar Bluffs...it was a few years back though...on ebay...looked up prairie belt....good luck...

Any chance that some of the Winchester 38-55 brass might still be available?