WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: You have to love the ebay scammers selling for more than new price

Banned

You have to love the ebay scammers selling for more than new price

A recent look on ebay for a set of used carbide 9mm dies brought up a Dillon set of 9mm dies, conversion kit for the 650 and powder measure with stand. The poweder measure was an early model with the return spring on it. Everything was used. The seller only wanted $30.00 more than new price for all his used equipment. Total new price $269.85 his price $299.00 plus $20.00 shipping.

Boolit Master
    When I list my stuff and I'm a 1st time seller, I hope prices will go through the roof. I don't look for deals on eBay. The market will dictate selling price. My buddy wanted 357 Sig dies. I told him to order through Dillon. He complained about the b.o. situation. Oh well. I've been waiting on Starline to catch up. I have patience. He didn't.

I pay what I want to pay for new or used.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Buddy
    Not exactly a scammer, just a high-priced seller.

One must remember, a person can ask whatever they want for what they own, that doesn't mean they'll get that price. The market will always dictate the price.

My mother used to tell me all the time, "Whatever you've got is only worth what someone's willing to pay for it."(grew up in a resale lifestyle).

That being said, his equipment isn't "used", it's "vintage"
    I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

My Feedback Thread<->http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7793-possom813

Boolit Grand Master

A lot is just what the market will bear. If someone looks at "normal" reloading suppliers and sees "back order only" they may get impatient and buy out of desperation, and wind up paying more. I bought a 21 lbs. of linotype last week, and got it for a good price, mainly because the auction ending time was Sunday night, not too many viewers. I believe the "scammers" are the ones that have a minimum "starting bid" that's over retail...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    The 'scammer' isn't the gentleman who prices his item too high.

I just feel the need to clarify this.

The scammer is the guy that manipulates the system to end up with the cash and the item for sale.

And yes, I know/learned this from the experiences of being scammed on a handful of occasions dealing with sportscards.

It's a catch 22, ebay requires you to use paypal, and paypal can be manipulated.

I don't feel the need to post how to manipulate it on a public forum, but if you're interested in how to guard yourself against the manipulation:

Operate 100% within their rules, that's the only viable option.

Anything mailed that's worth over $50, add insurance to it, it's an additional $2-3, but it's worth it in most cases.

If you mail anything over $100, require signature confirmation

If you feel uneasy about a transaction for a significant sum of money, add insurance and require sig confirmation

If you're doing a deal via paypal for money you can't afford to lose, make sure the sender of the funds is a 'confirmed' user of paypal, not halfway confirmed, which they've started showing as 'confirmed' with a little exclamation icon next to it.

Only ship to the address listed on their paypal, don't ship to a different address, you won't be covered with the paypal protection(back to their rules)

Don't accept overpayments through paypal

Don't accept gift payments for goods(once they catch on, they'll freeze/suspend your account and you get money frozen)

Don't accept a partial refund on anything you've bought, once you receive a partial refund on something you plan to return, it makes it difficult to get the rest of your money if you have to open a dispute against the seller.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but I just woke up
    I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

My Feedback Thread<->http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7793-possom813

Boolit Bub
    Also some people can not get a credit card but can get a Paypal buyers account. Basically a Paypal credit card that is not a physical card so you can only use it online. I know a guy that does this and buys everything off eBay. Sometimes he way over pays but as he says its the only way he can get it.

Love Life
    Are they scammers now? A few weeks ago they were only gougers...

Boolit Master
    A lot of these high priced sellers also ship overseas. Limited or no local availability and the ability to conduct the whole transaction within ebay and paypal can create the appearance of high prices.

Boolit Buddy
    May be a seller that has no idea of what the cost would be from a dealer today.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Travtastik View Post
    Also some people can not get a credit card but can get a Paypal buyers account. Basically a Paypal credit card that is not a physical card so you can only use it online. I know a guy that does this and buys everything off eBay. Sometimes he way over pays but as he says its the only way he can get it.
    Something seriously wrong with this thinking. How could one not be able to get a debit card???

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

So now I see its the fools buying merchandise not realizing its actual lesser value that are dictating the market price.

OOOOOOOooooooooooooKay!

But then it is an auction.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Something seriously wrong with this thinking. How could one not be able to get a debit card???
    Exactly, while I have credit cards, I use a bank debit card for E-Bay. Why? I'm less likely to overspend this way.

Vendor Sponsor

I love watching this stuff. I call it trolling for a big fish.

When I see something that is obviously over priced I usually go,,,, Uffff! and move on.

There is a small green arbor press on ebay right now in the "vintage" reloading tools section. It has been on that site for better than a year. It is an arbor press that was bought out of Litton industries in Thousand Oaks CA. It even says Litton on it. The starting price was $349.95! it is worth $20 on a good day as it is nothing more than a Chinese 1/2T arbor press available at Harbor Freight for $29.95.

This guy knows damn good and well what this tool is worth. He is trolling for a fish to jump in his boat. Simple as that. Maybe someday he will get lucky.

I hope the listing fees from ebay eventually eat him alive.

Knowing what you are buying and what it is worth is key to operating in todays world. Ebay, Craigs List, and all of the others should require a big "Caveat Emptor" sign on every thing they list for sale.

This all holds true even when we are experiencing gouging like in most recent times.

You need to know what you are buying and what it is worth.

Patience is another point. I have found that if you "Must Have" something, you will probably get screwed when you buy it. I've done it ,,, you have too!

Not having to have something , or a take it or leave it attitude is how you get bargains.

Just relax and if you see somethng for a price you are willing to pay, buy it. If you don't feel you're getting screwed, then you aren't.

If you in fact did get screwed then it's on you, not them, for not knowing what you're buying and what it is worth.

Educate yourself before you buy anything. You'll save alot of money when you do.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 05-19-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Love Life
    My personal woe story.

I wanted to start back into reloading 45 acp for a 1911 I acquired. I thought I had everything until I opened my box of Dillon 45 ACP dies. At some point I had sold the dies, and stuck a set of 357 magnum dies into the box. I'm not really sure why I have so many sets of 357 magnum dies, but I digress...

So there I was in the middle of the worst firearms, ammo, components, and reloading equipment shortage I have ever seen in my short lifetime, and I needed 45 acp dies.

What did I do? I swallowed the lump in my throat, and paid above new prices for a set of used 45 acp dies (they were in great condition though). Had to be done. The funny part? The Dillon dies I back ordered showed up 5 weeks early!!!

Know what an item is worth on both the selling and buying side.

Pay what you are willing to pay, and charge according to how fast you need to move it, or a value that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    My personal woe story.

I wanted to start back into reloading 45 acp for a 1911 I acquired. I thought I had everything until I opened my box of Dillon 45 ACP dies. At some point I had sold the dies, and stuck a set of 357 magnum dies into the box. I'm not really sure why I have so many sets of 357 magnum dies, but I digress...

So there I was in the middle of the worst firearms, ammo, components, and reloading equipment shortage I have ever seen in my short lifetime, and I needed 45 acp dies.

What did I do? I swallowed the lump in my throat, and paid above new prices for a set of used 45 acp dies (they were in great condition though). Had to be done. The funny part? The Dillon dies I back ordered showed up 5 weeks early!!!

Know what an item is worth on both the selling and buying side.

Pay what you are willing to pay, and charge according to how fast you need to move it, or a value that makes you happy.
    I love watching this stuff. I call it trolling for a big fish.

When I see something that is obviously over priced I usually go,,,, Uffff! and move on.

There is a small green arbor press on ebay right now in the "vintage" reloading tools section. It has been on that site for better than a year. It is an arbor press that was bought out of Litton industries in Thousand Oaks CA. It even says Litton on it. The starting price was $349.95! it is worth $20 on a good day as it is nothing more than a Chinese 1/2T arbor press available at Harbor Freight for $29.95.

This guy knows damn good and well what this tool is worth. He is trolling for a fish to jump in his boat. Simple as that. Maybe someday he will get lucky.

I hope the listing fees from ebay eventually eat him alive.

Knowing what you are buying and what it is worth is key to operating in todays world. Ebay, Craigs List, and all of the others should require a big "Caveat Emptor" sign on every thing they list for sale.

This all holds true even when we are experiencing gouging like in most recent times.

You need to know what you are buying and what it is worth.

Patience is another point. I have found that if you "Must Have" something, you will probably get screwed when you buy it. I've done it ,,, you have too!

Not having to have something , or a take it or leave it attitude is how you get bargains.

Just relax and if you see somethng for a price you are willing to pay, buy it. If you don't feel you're getting screwed, then you aren't.

If you in fact did get screwed then it's on you, not them, for not knowing what you're buying and what it is worth.

Educate yourself before you buy anything. You'll save alot of money when you do.
    These two posts pretty much cover it all as far as buying whatever one wishes.

Another hobby of mine is collecting watches. Couple of days ago I saw a Tag Heurer chronograph at a pawn shop, I went home an researched that particular model on the net, found what they sold for and returned to buy it. Got it for $300.00 out the door. Drove to one of the better high end jewelers here for check up and cleaning, they appraised it at $1,500.00. Only thing I'm missing is the box it came in and the pillow. Those are now on order from the Bay for $35.00.

Pays to do your homework and $300 was not the market value, but I got a heck of a value!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Are they scammers now? A few weeks ago they were only gougers...

I used an incorrect word.....scammers. Yes, a few weeks ago they were simply gougers. Actually I cannot tell you what I actually think of them language wise because like some of my other posts it will simply come up missing.

Boolit Grand Master

It's an auction site. Everyone is an adult and is capable of making their own decisions. Only the buyer can say if he overpaid or not. Sometimes they will admit they overpaid. Sometimes they feel that they got a good deal because of the current market conditions. And don't forget that eBay is worldwide. Just because something is $30 new here doesn't mean that it's $30 new in Europe. For some items eBay is the only way to purchase certain items in their country.

I don't understand people's obsession w/ what other people buy and sell for. Spend what you're willing and move in if it goes to high. I never hear a buyer say he ripped off a seller. You always hear about how they got a great deal. Ever stop and think that the seller might not be happy because the item sold for less then he hoped it would?

Boolit Buddy
    I needed new .223 dies, I wanted them quick so I figured I would overpay on ebay and get it over with, I ordered them, waited a week and no dies, I finally got ahold of the joker and asked ***, he said they weren't in stock and it would be any day now,,I said NO! I didn't overpay for something on back order, I overpaid to get the stuff quicker, he refunded me and Im done with eBay, I'll wait on BO with midway if needed...

Oh-yeah I found the dies a few weeks later at a shop for normal price
    Hope for change.

Banned
    I'm just upset that every moron thinks they have to profit in the midst of a shortage. Try to purchase 22LR ammunition nowdays. Try to purchase large or small pistol primers and you will see the price has been jacked up dispite the fact the price on an invoice I saw was the same.

The reloading equipment that I mentioned is clearly not worth more than the current full price of $269.85 delivered to my door based on my zip code and shipping costs. Will I pay it....hell no. I will go without first or borrow from someone I know that has the dies, plate, conversion kit, and powder drop.

Yes, I called this guy a scammer and in my mind he probably is. People like this generally frequent garage sales when a womans husband passed away and they offer her 10 cents on the dollar for her husbands reloading equipment and tools and then auction them off on ebay as having owned them and their superior condition and for more than current price.
    So excuse me if my feathers get ruffled by these idiots and the idiots that actually purchase the overpriced items from them.

Boolit Grand Master

So you're mad that someone else is making money? I don't get this attitude. There are two ways to handle shortages. Rationing and jacking prices up to curb demand. If people are willing to pay the high prices there is nothing you can do to prevent it. Why even waste time and energy on it? Pay what you're willing to pay move on.