MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teflon tape boolit lube?

Boolit Master

Well I tested the Teflon tape lubed boolits today. As a control, I shot some of the same boolits lubed with 50/50 alox, that had shot quite well before.

All I can say is never again! Most of the groups were double the size of the normal lubed, some a little less than double. BUT aside from group size there was leading for the first couple inches of the bore. In my estimation, the tape needed to get moving, or spinning to do it's job. Not that it matters, but the Teflon confetti on the ground looked like it had snowed!

Velocity was the same as the alox boolits, except for the slugs that I simply taped as cast, but did not size. Those were around 50 fps HIGHER. I attribute that to the boolit not engraving as easily. Load was 27.5 gr. 4759 generating 1575 fps with the 340 lee boolit.

It works, in a pinch, if you didn't have anything other to lube with. I'll stick with normal lubes from now on.

Were those the ones that you said did not have tape over the driving bands? If so, that is probably your answer. You might want to use groove diameter or smaller boolits, and size in a die a couple of thousandths (or several) larger. I don' know, just suggestions. There are other members here who swear by telon tape.

Moderator Emeritus

Was the wrap in the direction of the twist or opposite? It needs to stay on the bullet all the way through the bbl and an opposite twist will unwrap it before it exits. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Was the wrap in the direction of the twist or opposite? It needs to stay on the bullet all the way through the bbl and an opposite twist will unwrap it before it exits. Gianni
    Gianni, I didn't even consider that! Duh! But I just checked, I had a 50/50 chance of getting it right by accident. I guess I'd better not play roulette soon. They were wrapped in the direction of rotation.

Were those the ones that you said did not have tape over the driving bands?
    Lefty, some were some were not, they all leaded to some degree. I have a .459 sizer coming, along with my .457 lee, I will be able to size to .457, wrap, then size to .459. Since the bore slugs at .457, I doubt they will work either. Nice thing is, the H&R buff classic has shallow rifling, also the leading was in the grooves, not on the rifling.