WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glass bedding an action (kits etc)

Boolit Buddy

Glass bedding an action (kits etc)

There are many different instructions, videos, etc on the internet about glass bedding an action. I have also found a couple of "kits". does anyone have any experience with any of these or have any to recommend?

http://www.scorehi.com/
    http://www.erniethegunsmith.com/

Boolit Grand Master

On my NRA match rifles I always used Bisonite bedding kits. It is a rieson/epoxy steel filled and very hard and strong when cured. A good working time and fairly thick but not putty. It is not quite as easy to use since its not a 50/50 mix like most.
    My procedure went like this. I routed 1/8" grooves into the stock where bedding was to be 1/8" deep or so. roughen all the areas with coarse sand paper. Fill all but the action screw holes with clay or play dough. give all metal parts 2 coats of release agent Let dry between coats. Coat action screws with 3 coats ( if possible make up allen head screws for the bedding job the hex is stonger than slots if an "opps" occurs) with a popcycle stick put a layer of bedding filling routed areas to bottom. place barreled action into stock and clamp or screw down tight. Dont try to push all the exoxy out. With a towel and clean popcycle stick ( cut end square) clean expoxy from around action and any "drips", watch for a couple hours . Let cure according to bedding makers instructions. Bisonite was a 24 hour cure time if I remeber correctly. Pop action out of stock, it will "pop" you may have to bump it some to break the seal/bond. Due to air bubbles you may have to repeat this a couple times. Mix what you think you will need plus a little. Have all tools and rags ready and handy. Lay everything out so you know whats going on and where it is. A few paper towels make cleaning up excess much easier than cutting it down when cured. Bisonite is hard on burrs and files. Any Pillars repairs need to be done before bedding.I also routed out the material where the rcoil lug bears some for a good fit there.

I recommend Brownells. not only can you buy the stuff necessary but they also have tutorials on doing it.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

What W.R. said, Brownells Acra-glas for non-magnums and Brownells Steel bed for Magnum rifles. USE PLENTY OF RELEASE AGENT TRUST ME ON THIS ONE........and don't ask me how I know............

Art

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I recommend Brownells. not only can you buy the stuff necessary but they also have tutorials on doing it.

Randy
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

I glass bedded a rifle , BE CAREFUL, that epoxy rosin goes every where and gets into every hole, nook , cranny and crevice and when it hardens it's there. You don't do it right and you just ruined a fine french walnut stock.....when that stuff gets into screw holes, when it gets on screw threads , you got a problem on your hands then.
    If you have a nice stock..take it to a smith...if he messes up he has to fix it.
    Don't ask me how I learned this lesson...Gary

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazman1602 View Post
    What W.R. said, Brownells Acra-glas for non-magnums and Brownells Steel bed for Magnum rifles. USE PLENTY OF RELEASE AGENT TRUST ME ON THIS ONE........and don't ask me how I know............

Art
    + another 1 on that.
    Small amounts of modeling clay to keep it out of threads etc. and Plenty of blue or green painters tape to keep it off of the parts of the stock/action you don't want it on.
    Mix well and let it cure completely before removal.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I glass bedded a rifle , BE CAREFUL, that epoxy rosin goes every where and gets into every hole, nook , cranny and crevice and when it hardens it's there. You don't do it right and you just ruined a fine french walnut stock.....when that stuff gets into screw holes, when it gets on screw threads , you got a problem on your hands then.
    If you have a nice stock..take it to a smith...if he messes up he has to fix it.
    That is the primary reason I use Brownells Accra Glas Gel kits, it doesn`t run like maple sap in the Spring.Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    That is the primary reason I use Brownells Accra Glas Gel kits, it doesn`t run like maple sap in the Spring.Robert
    I like the Accraglas Gel from Brownell's. My first attempt at glas bedding a rifle was with the regular Accraglas. Not a very fun experience. Once I discovered the Gel version I have done several bolt action rifles with no real problems.

Clean up is a lot easier before the bedding sets up.

Release agent is your expendable friend, cover everything that may come in contact with the bedding.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Use the release agent on both action screws and their corresponding holes, then push the threads into some butchers wax. helps keep the gel from migrating into the screw holes on the action. And #1 on the release agent is your friend. Anywhere you even think the gel will go use it liberally. Frank

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman1602 View Post

Art
    i know how you know

Banned
    I use Marine Tex. I make my own pillars and drill them accordingly. I know some people don't have the ability to turn pillars, and getting pre-made pillars can work. Marine Tex sets hard, Bisonite does too, as does Steel Bed. Acuraglass seems to always be somewhat gummy to me, haven't used it in years.

I use PlayDouh instead of clay, it releases and is much easier to clean up. For a release agent, Johnson's Paste Wax. Two coats of that and I've never had a problem.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by B R Shooter View Post
    I use Marine Tex. I make my own pillars and drill them accordingly. I know some people don't have the ability to turn pillars, and getting pre-made pillars can work. Marine Tex sets hard, Bisonite does too, as does Steel Bed. Acuraglass seems to always be somewhat gummy to me, haven't used it in years.

I use PlayDouh instead of clay, it releases and is much easier to clean up. For a release agent, Johnson's Paste Wax. Two coats of that and I've never had a problem.
    BR you do just like I do. Gray Marine Tex is good stuff. I like the consistency of it, like cake frosting. I have found if you put the bedding compound in the stock and coat the areas of the barrel and action you are bedding that you don't get the visible air bubbles in the finished job. Or maybe you do but you can't see them and the job looks great. I never liked trying to do a second coat of bedding. When you do it in one shot there is no chance of getting high spots and the action fit is perfect. All I use Acraglass for anymore is repair work.

When it seemed like I was doing a lot of Rem 700's I took a chunk of steel and cut a slot in the end to hold a 1/4" lathe bit using set screws, like a fly cutter. I set the tool so it would cut the same diameter as the barrel. I chuck this tool in the lathe and hold the pillars in a tool holder for a quick change tool post. I center the pillar up vertically and feed the apron to cut the end of the pillar to the exact radius needed to fit the barrel. Works great, and you only have to set it once.
    I guess you could do the same on a mill, but my mill is a little Mickey Mouse so I just use the lathe.
    -William

"How air ye fixed fer meat, Del?" --John Johnson Crow Killer, The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson

My Feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=stonecrusher

Boolit Grand Master
    Brownell's Acru-Glass kits have it all. Just did a .300 WM and it came out great. Use all the release agent possible. Masking tape any potential spill areas and release agent on screws. I let the mix go into the stock screw holes both in the receiver area and the tang area and bump the barreled action to the rear and let it set up. The screws must have release agent on them, or you're toast.

Brownell's Acru-glass. I use two coats of release agent.

Boolit Grand Master

With the M1A it used to be common to bed with Bisonite tune and check then gue in stock with a thin epoxy. I never did this as I seen to many where the barrel or a small part failed and couldnt get the rifle apart. But I know of many who did do it. Was a nightmare to work on them. I have used accraglass gel marine tex micro bed on bolt actions but always used bisonite steel bed on the garands and M1As. Another trick on a bedded gun is if your not using it release screw tension or on service rifles the trigger gaurd. Takes pressure off the bedding. Keep oil and solvents out of bedding areas as they will soften some beddings. WHen you guys bed a rifle (bolt action) How far forward on the barrel do you bed? Float or a pressure point up front on the barrel ? Clamps, action screws, or rubber tubing to hold in place? I have seen all done and am wondering.

Boolit Master
    I prefer brownells release agent best. Midways is kinda ok, pam is ok but DO NOT TRUST OIL!!!! Any other release agents that work?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Acra-glass gel and two coats of Brownell's release agent.

I know folks who have used JPW for release agent and swear by it. I have not so cannot comment as to how well it works
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master
    Ive been using the Devcon steel putty. It does not run, has a long "pot life" and is tough as nails. Donwside is you need a scale to measure it out properly and when dried, is hard on tools which you go to clean it up. For release agent I have been using the spray on release from Brownells. You will also need some modelling clay, masking tape, razor blades, small putty knife, electrical tape, and a bunch of 1/2" sticks with the ends sharpened flat like a screwdriver.

FOr cleanup get some carbide burrs for your dremmel and a couple of chisels, rasps, etc.
    The best tutorial I have seen is on the Accurate shooter forum and uses pillar bedding colums. However you can use the procedure without the pillars if you buy the action bedding screw guides that brownells says. The last three rifles I have bedded with this procedure have been real hammers. I ve done it both ways, but when doing pillars, I make my own.

I have been using Brownell Accra produce for 40 years. First the glas and not the gel. When making a stock I first do a careful bedding of wood to metal and do some test firing. I then use Accra-Gel to give long life to keep the wood from compressing or getting oil soaked over the years. I have found that a gel bedding job will give an increase in accuracy of no more than 1/4 MOA and sometimes no increase.

Accra Gel is much easer to use for bedding but Accra Glass is a much better adhesive it you are sticking two pieces of wood together.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

I have had best service life with Devcon steel putty or Bisonite. I mostly do NRA match rifles or NRA service rifles (M14’s, M1A’s and M1 Garand’s). My favorite is Devcon Titanium but this is cost prohibitive for most applications. The M1A’s and M1’s tax any bedding material and some are not up to the task.

For release agents I prefer the ones that don’t leave a film or layer like the Brownells release agent.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-20-2013 at 09:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast