Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: This has nothing to do with shooting..

This has nothing to do with shooting..

Took my 10 year old Granddaughter and let her drive for the first time. Thought some of you might enjoy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT-pBNtEEcM
    Last edited by 161; 05-13-2013 at 02:23 PM.
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

In Remembrance
    Good for you, she will be well ahead of the pack these days, when it comes time for her to start driving.

Moderator Emeritus

looks like fun...and a nice lakeshore home too
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

A high school student has been helping me with my shop construction. He's 17 and graduating next weekend. He's a farm and ranch kid, been rodeoing since he was little. I asked when he started driving the other day. He didn't start driving automobiles on the ranch until about ten but said he was driving a tractor since he was about five. He makes a great helper- doesn't have to be told how to do much and likes working with me doing construction way better than bucking hay.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

They will learn something, it's what they do. If good and useful things are made available for them to learn then that is what they will learn. If not , they will learn something else. It is our job to make the good things available and hopefully crowd out the bad.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Memories for a life time. Grandpa

I smiled all the way through your ride. It made me remember my Grandpa,

Thanks for the Memories.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Moderator Emeritus

She will remember this forever grandpa! Nice way to learn driving too.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

I'm not sure who had more fun her or me. I was a tag along Mom and Dad were 40 and 41 when I was born. Next kid was 10 years older than me. Both Granddads were gone by the time I came along. My Brothers were really more like Uncles. I learned to drive on their laps. The little girls Dad is 6'3 I don't think she understands how he fit on my lap when he learned to drive.
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

Boolit Master

Nice to teach them like that

I was about 10 when I drove the truck through the lane fence and parked it in the ditch

And dad just laughted

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

I learned to drive on old farm roads (and ditches) as did my son.

I was reminded the other day when a renter came out to drop off his winter equipment in a shed we rent him. His high school son was trying to back the trailer up to the door. I quit counting after about the 12th try.... The first time I had my son back a trailer he did so like he had done it all his life.

Boolit Master

That is great! I'm sure that you both enjoyed it and will remember it a long time.

I learned to drive when I was nine by driving an old Ford truck around the pasture and pecan orchard doing chores. I was so excited to get to drive that I didn't mind the chores!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Master
    I wish my first time was that open, but someone's first time driving is always memorable. A Jeep with a cranky clutch in a field of pulled up old oak stumps was not one of my father's best ideas. I also got to learn how to change my first tire that day.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I well remember my first experience of driving one of our tractors to one of our other farms. It was at the end of a driveway, and dad was going to go back and bring the pickup. He showed me how to shift into third gear, figuring it wasn't much more than walking speed.
    I wasn't big enough to reach the clutch and brake pedals, so had to slide off the seat to push them, and push the shift up into gear.
    I opened up the throttle, and gave a frog hop back onto the seat.
    I immediately found I was in fifth gear, and I was going WAY faster than I wanted or expected. I was doing all I could to steer the darned thing to stay on the road. I couldn't reach the throttle from the seat, and about fell through the middle of the steering wheel trying to reach it. I lost control, and went down in the ditch, which bounced me off the seat, and I was finally able to get the clutch depressed, and on the brakes.
    I was scared to death, dad, who had been running after me was white as a sheet.
    We got it back on the road, he stood on the draw bar until he was sure I was in the right gear, and on down the road I went.
    That was one we never mentioned to mom.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    That was one we never mentioned to mom.
    I still have a quite a few of those saved up.

My first time "driving" was sitting on Dad's lap in the 71 Maverick. I was maybe eight years old.

The first time I was the only one on the vehicle was when we took the 9N Ford home from Dad's cousin's house, sometime in the third grade. First gear on the low side of the sherman overdrive. That mile and a half seemed like it took forever.

Robert

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0241.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	70612Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0295.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	70613Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0255.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	70615A special moment she will remember forever. And a beautiful drive through some very pretty country.
    I hope i will be able to teach my grandsons to drive on the trails and backroads of the acreage.
    This brings back fond memories of driving a '51 chev shortbox when I was 8 - through gates when my dad opened them, and taking him coffee in the fields.
    The roads look the same there as they did here in the late '50s and early '60s.
    Thank you for reminding me of fond memories.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...