Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardest to Cast?

Boolit Master

Hardest to Cast?

It occurred to me that my short experience in casting has been pretty rewarding (enough to cause an addiction) so far with few mishaps. Even my boolits have popped out pretty well. So I got to thinking.....what is the hardest boolits you have cast and what changed when you started getting good ones? BTW, I do credit this site and all ya'll for my casting success, coupled with some luck and divine guidance!

Boolit Master

I think the smaller you go the harder to cast they get. One problem is keeping the mold hot enough to keep dumping the bullets the way they should. Those little boolits don't transfer very much heat to the mold. Then I think the small inclusions that can be in boolits are more important in small boolits so you have to cull ruthlessly.

Hollowpoint molds also add another dimension that can cause problems

Boolit Man
    i preheat my molds on a hotplate as my production pot heats up. both are ready at the same time. i cast a LOT of .225's for AR's and this really helped me.
    otter

Boolit Master
    I'd have to put a guess that the old smaller Postel's would be the hardest to cast well.... (Lots of sharp grooves and bands really puts your ladle technique to the test.....)

Dan

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 220swiftfn View Post
    I'd have to put a guess that the old smaller Postel's would be the hardest to cast well.... (Lots of sharp grooves and bands really puts your ladle technique to the test.....)

Dan
    i'll +1 that dan. I was loaned a Lyman #457643 Mold. small bands and very square cut. temp and pour has to be just right. release was difficult needed to tap the handles to open the mold and tap more for it to drop the boolit.
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Banned

I never found much difference. I have cast .22's to 560 gr boolits, tons of round balls from .36 to .54. Any mold.
    I have had friends bring molds because they had troubles and I showed them I could cast without a reject. I show and hand them the mold and they fail. Many just can't get their hands to work separately. I ladle cast.

Boolit Master
    I'll agree with 44man, when I started I had a heckuva time. Then I got in touch with the man who has become my mentor. Alan has been casting for over 60 years, so when he told me my problem wasn't the mold, it was me, I believed him. He then showed me how to cast one day, pointed out everythng I was doing wrong, and got me pouring them right. Haven't had much in the way of problems since.

I always get better bullets with a ladle. Any size any weight. Fewer rejects, less work. I have plugged the spouts on 3 Lee drip-o-matics. I keep a different alloy in each pot so I dont have to clean one out to change alloys. Straight lead with 2% tin in one, COWWs in one, and 50/50 COWW and linotype in the last.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Banned

I don't have a lot of issues with design it is individual molds that cause grief.
    sometimes it is just part of the mold causing the problem.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    The long rifle bullets hands down 32 and up are ok but there is this 30 that just gives me fits, it seems like it is forever too hot or too cold in an interesting twist the new 7mm doesn't have that issue(or maybe I've side stepped it w/the expirences from that 30).
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Most trouble I have is with the long skinny rifle molds. In particular my 6.5mm 160 gr Lyman. I end up culling a lot because my glasses don't work really well at arms length. They have bifocals for reading and lenses for distance. I really need a pair for just this. So when things are not going well I miss them til later. I just cast a lot more than I need to compensate.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master

I can cast molds without an issue. No HP molds are a whole new kind of crazy. Pain in my rear. I gave up on them.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Bub
    I agree with lizard the hollow point mold not so much trouble just found not really worth the time IMHO.

Boolit Master

A brass mold making 685 grain nose-poured, hollow-base .451 hexagonals for a Confdederate Whitworth replica - although the grain of salt here is that this was the very first mold Pops and I ever cast with, we haven't needed to fire it up for a long time, and we've learned A BUNCH since then. Kinda wanna make more just to see if it's still a motha.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    so far i have cast .243, .357, .40SW, .44 Mag, .45 ACP and the hardest by far has been the 0.40SW Hollow Point... real hard to get them to come out without the hollow point tearing in some way... seems like if you wait too long then the hollow point grabs on to the pin and it is hard for it come out of the mold and then tears... if you dont wait long enough they tear because they are not strong enough due to being too soft...

seems like they come out best if i break the sprue when it frosts over, then open the mold after about 2 more seconds...

Boolit Buddy
    Pointy 30cals over 200grs. my only HP mold took some learning but not too bad.
    I have a .309 Lee 230-5R and a .311 NOE 247, I can never seem to be able to get pretty boolits

Boolit Master
    I have pretty good luck with most molds, but some have a bit more of a learning curve. The only mold that gives me fits is a Lyman 257388 HP single cavity with its' skinny cavity, pointy nose, and little skinny HP pin. It never wants to fill out to its' almost sharp edged hollow pointed nose. Finally I just kept the ones that filled out everywhere else and squared up their noses in the minilathe.

.22s always gave me fits. I've sold all my .22 moulds.
    Cognitive Dissident

The one I have had some problems with is a Lyman 58 Cal. 512 Grains hollow base for my BP rifle, the hollow base skirt does not always want to fill out all the way.

Michael Grace

Boolit Master
    My NOE 9mm HP mold is the most work-intensive mold, but worth the effort.