MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Lyman 45 question

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 45 question

I have an old Lyman 45 lubrisizer which has been given tio me.

In a previous post, I found out that what was puzzling me was missing die parts. The die in question has to return from whence the sizer came.

My question is, can I still get parts for this machine, and what about dies? Do the modern dies fit the 45, or do I need to look for used/antique dies?
    OeldeWolf
    who may yet be kicked out of the Republik of Kalifornia for owning too many firearms.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain, to eat only vegetables!

Banned

Yes- you can get parts, and no you don't need old sizers.

All of the current RCBS and Lyman dies fit.

Just make sure you put some type of lube on your boolits. I like Midway Case lube which is only lanolin and alcohol.

A fine film makes sizing big boolits easy, as long as you're not sizing it way crazy down, and is easy on the machine..

My 45's work great and I size up to .460 so far..
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 09-08-2007 at 09:58 PM.

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    OeldeWolf;

Yes, the modern RCBS and Lyman dies are actually even better than the old ones, as they have a tapered lead-in to the sizing section rather than a sharp step. Two things to look out for: (1) the #45 locks the die in place with a hex set-screw in front; don't tighten it more than necessary to keep the die from coming out on the return stroke or it may be pushed off-center a few thousandths, and also may leak grease - although the o-ring in the modern dies should help there; (2) the top punch may also be a loose fit in the moving upper platform, and tightening the clamping screw may push it off-center; the solution is to smear a bit of lube or grease on the upper shank to hold it in place, but let it "float" to center.

General instructions are: don't advance the pressure handle very far at a time - usually it is needed once for every two to four bullets; pull the handle down and hold it down against the stop firmly for a second or three as the grease flows - then lift the operating lever "smartly"to maintain the knockout rod firmly in contact with the bullet base and prevent grease from flowing under the bullet base. If the grooves are not fully filled, run the bullet in again, wait another second ot two, then run it out again. If that does not do it, add a LITTLE bit of pressure with the pressure handle. Finally, when through sizing and lubeing, reverse the pressure handle on its hex stud and give it a half or full turn to relieve the pressure on the lube. If you find that grease leaks out the bottom of the reservoir, slip a bit of leather or inner-tube rubber under the tool and screw it down to the bench tightly.

These are good tools, and will last forever if you don't push them too hard - like sizing very hard bullets (pre-lubing helps here) or sizing more than three or four thousandths at a time.

floodgate

Floodgate give you great info. Once you learn how to use it and want to do a lot more bullets with it and not worry about the lube pressure go to the www.carbinetree.com and look at his ATF lube setups the make a 45 work even better. You have to decide what lube you are using as you may also need a heater for some of them.
    Ken
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

The current Lyman or RCBS luber/sizer dies fit your Lyman 45. I have a large selection of used ones for sale. Send your email address for a list as a Word attachment. - Hunter

Banned
    I use a Lyman 45 as well. The advice about sizing hard boolits is spot on. My water dropped WW boolits have to be sized within about 24 hours or I have a REALLY difficult time getting them through the sizer die. This is more apparent the larger the boolit is. For instance HARD 45 cal boolits are almost impossible to size, while HARD 35s can be done with pre-lube and some persuassion.

In all, I really likethe old 45.

SSB

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak1 View Post
    Floodgate give you great info. Once you learn how to use it and want to do a lot more bullets with it and not worry about the lube pressure go to the www.carbinetree.com and look at his ATF lube setups the make a 45 work even better. You have to decide what lube you are using as you may also need a heater for some of them.
    Ken
    The link you posted doesn't seem to be active. I am very intrested in the mods if you remember them.

Thanks,
    Couper

Boolit Buddy
    The info you want can be found at the bottom of this page. Click on "CastingStuff." Under "Cabine Tree loading Products" you will find "ALF" listed. That's it.

charlie

The brass pistons on these old sizers allow lube to leak past, especially softer lubes, and in warm weather. Luckily, the modern (uses O rings) #45 piston fits these sizers perfectly, eliminating the problem, with a call to Lyman.

Morgan

Boolit Master

I just bought one on Ebay, does anyone know of a downloadable Manual or Parts breakdown?

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2008 Swagerman's Avatar
    I've got some duplicate Lyman lube dies, .355, 356, 358. Contact me for price, but their cheap ones.

Jim

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 94Doug View Post
    I just bought one on Ebay, does anyone know of a downloadable Manual or Parts breakdown?
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/imashooter2/Lyman_45.pdf

Shamelessly stolen from another member many moons ago. Can't remember who...

Boolit Master
    I have a little better copy of instructions that I got from Lyman that I can make available to anyone that needs/wants it plus will send to anyone who can scan it into a computer for electronic trans mission. If you want or need it send me a PM. Duckiller

Boolit Man
    What is the best, cheap heater setup for a 45? I just picked up 4 of them...LOL

Couper

Boolit Master
    Cheap hair drier. Will work on all four without remounting.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 68 couper View Post

Couper
    I have 3... I drilled and tapped a piece of .135 steel with the press hole pattern and mounted that on my bench. Attach the press you want to the steel and then set a yard sale clothes iron on the back of the plate. A little experimentation will show you what temperature to run the iron. A thicker piece of metal will conduct the heat better, but I wanted to leave the plate on my bench and the .135 doesn't get in the way of other projects.

Banned

Blow dyer is only needed for mine once in awhile in the winter. I've got a small real maxed out with gear covered bench too..

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by 68 couper View Post
    Best? I dunno...
    Cheap? Mine is cheap, but takes some time to build.
    I probably wouldn't have the patience to build four of them...
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=9228
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

#45+++++

yard sale saterday!!!box said truline jr.scored$10 had truline and #45 in box both used but like new.in 38 spec cal truline is now 45 colt.does not get much better as these go with 4 others I have since the 60s.------
    WILDCATT