Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: New mold from Tom for the 50 Beowulf

Boolit Master

New mold from Tom for the 50 Beowulf

Just got this in. Took 3 weeks from payment to casting. Thanks Tom! This is a 335 grain 502 cal boolit. The crimp groove is right at where you would crimp a Rainier 335 at 2.10". Mine came out a little light at 330 grains, but I am using a short aluminium gas check, and a touch more tin on this first casting due to what was already in the pot. I intend on using the same data as the Rainier. I expect I will need to bump up a tad on the charge. If anyone knows where I can get long .50 cal gas check please let me know. I think they may increase accuracy due to the increased surface area. This bullet does not have much bearing surface as is. Lots of room for grease.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	now mold 001.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	69038Click image for larger version. 

Name:	now mold 002.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	69039Click image for larger version. 

Name:	now mold 003.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	69040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	now mold 004.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	69041

Boolit Mold
    great looking mold. tom does great work. i think its worth the wait

Banned

Why a pointed nose? For what the beo is used for wouldnt a flat nose or hp worked better. Unless your looking at long range shooting.

Boolit Master
    I wanted to find something that was not flat nosed, or hollowpoint for increased penetration without the damage that the hollowpoint causes. My results were gruesome on stacks of wet phone books with the hollowpoint. A hole you could put your fist in all the way to your elbow. I didn't want to use that on game. This does have a flat of .18" so not a complete spire point. Also, the large meplat boolits such as the lee 502 440 can have feed problems with the AR platform. I don't know if I will get any better range with this one, a pointy rock is still a rock.

Boolit Bub
    I wonder if I could use this for 50 AE for the Desert Eagle. With the powder coating thread catching my interest, I'm really thinking about casting for the 50AE.

Banned

Lots of penetration tests at the linebaugh seminar and many other places have shown a flat point bullet actually does better then a pointed bullet in penetration. Mostly because they tend to penetrate in a straight line vs a pointed bullet that can easily deflect. Look at the newest generation of dangerous game bullets for stopping rifles. Very few are pointed or even round nosed anymore. Ill agree on the hp designs for the beo. The reineer hop shoots real well and holds together suprisingly well but does create a huge wound channel. The flat nosed one does almost as good at hammering pigs, bear and deer but will about allways give better penetration and an exit wound. Ive shot quite a bit of cast out of mine. I have one of the group buy 400 grain bullets thats about half way between a lfn and a wfn. I cant say how it does on game because to be honest i havent shot anything with that bullet but it does feed real well in my gun. For the most part i use the renieer flat point in my gun. There not to expensive, do good on game, are very accurate and i dont have to worry about lead fouling the gun (which by the way i havent seen happen yet) but mostly because the bullet lube tends to gum up a gun alot faster then jacketed loads do.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 05-03-2013 at 06:25 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I will say from experience that the Rainier hollow point is NOT good on deer! Especially if it is a close shoot and you hit in the shoulder area. Complete pancake of bullet, deer ran off, found it, you could put your whole hand in the wound cavity! I run the Remington CLHP 385gr bullets for hunting now, but i bet these cast ones would work great!

Do you have a stock number for that mold in case we want to order it? Also, do you buy your checks and do you size those bullets to something specific or shoot as cast? I have a Beowulf too!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlymaple42 View Post
    I will say from experience that the Rainier hollow point is NOT good on deer! Especially if it is a close shoot and you hit in the shoulder area. Complete pancake of bullet, deer ran off, found it, you could put your whole hand in the wound cavity! I run the Remington CLHP 385gr bullets for hunting now, but i bet these cast ones would work great!

Do you have a stock number for that mold in case we want to order it? Also, do you buy your checks and do you size those bullets to something specific or shoot as cast? I have a Beowulf too!
    Sure thing. That is the 502335B mold from Accurate molds. I sized them to 501 in a lee size/lube die, and used a aluminium gas check from a freechex III tool. The gas checks are available from sageoutdoors on ebay, and at his website to try out before you decide if you want to purchase the tool. I notices some of the checks were a little loose, but a drop of super glue would probably do the trick it it worried you.

Boolit Master
    There is a group buy discussion for a 385 grain boolit for the Beo that looks like a perfect boolit, but it does not seem to be moving anywhere fast. So, I needed a fix in the mean time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Lots of penetration tests at the linebaugh seminar and many other places have shown a flat point bullet actually does better then a pointed bullet in penetration. Mostly because they tend to penetrate in a straight line vs a pointed bullet that can easily deflect. Look at the newest generation of dangerous game bullets for stopping rifles.
    I may not necessarily mean penetration on game These may be heat treated to a 30BHN for some other uses.

Boolit Bub
    Very nice mold and boolits! I too have a 'Wulf but do not cast for it yet. Will have to get in on the GB too... if it ever materializes.
    Coffee fueled, Beer cooled!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    There is a group buy discussion for a 385 grain boolit for the Beo that looks like a perfect boolit, but it does not seem to be moving anywhere fast. So, I needed a fix in the mean time.
    The wulf just isn't as popular as it once was.

Coonazz: Here is the latest attempt at a group buy.
    Been pretty dead for a while - a bump to the top Might get it moving again.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozone View Post
    The wulf just isn't as popular as it once was.

Coonazz: Here is the latest attempt at a group buy.
    Been pretty dead for a while - a bump to the top Might get it moving again.
    Well, If it is my choice I think the 50 Beo was a better choice than the 458 socom. Brass is more available, bullets are cheap if you cast or use Rainier's, and you get more energy downrange. Lets face it, a rock is a rock. My rock get out to 200 fast enough. But, the socom bug has bit the mall ninjas bad with the cool name and all. Oh well, I am having fun not looking at a picture in a magazine.