Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Handgun range brass for "Pearl of Wisdom" (ALL WELCOME)

Handgun range brass for "Pearl of Wisdom" (ALL WELCOME)

In my relatively short period of time here I have been helped by many of the members in knowledge, time, and goods, but four have helped me above and beyond. With that said, I want to honor their help/assistance and offer 100 (mixed head stamp) range pick up brass of your choosing (from 380, 9mm, 40, 45ACP LP, or 38 SPC) to three (3) people. If you are wondering…What, you said four people helped you and now it is three? My answer is that I have already given away some through this site earlier (in honor of one of the four) and I would like to do it in honor of those four in particular.

There is a catch and the rules go like this:
    1) You do not have to have a need for it, but just a want (so even if you have plenty but just want a little more).
    2) Like I said, EVERYONE is welcome to contribute/post and I don’t care if you are going to use the brass, give it way, swage it, or anything because it is yours.
    3) You must post a “Pearl of Wisdom” below. The “Pearl” should be something that either a new reloader or caster should know before they start. I don’t care if it is information, a site for purchasing something, a lessons learned, great place to get lead, or anything that would help the newer reloaders/casters in any way.
    4) There is no limit on the number of posts/”Pearls” so the more the better.
    5) I will pick three (3) of the posts that I found the most interesting (mind you I have done a ton of reading for over a year, so you might have better luck with something out of the box) on Monday, May 6th and PM you for your address to send the brass to.
    6) Brass will be shipped on my dime (cheapest way), so it is absolutely free to you.

I know 100 brass isn’t going to give you a long day of shooting, but it could be a small start or something to top off a pile.

I think I covered everything, but let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.
    Dave

UPDATE: Thanks to Grump there will be one more winner and one bundle of “100 .30-06 LC type cases” are available. On Monday Grump will contact me with his top choice (and maybe more if I can talk him into it) and then I will send out PMs to the winners. The first winner that responds that they want the .30-06 (via PM to me) will get them sent directly from Grump to them. The other three will have their choice of the handgun range brass listed above. I have enough that even if the remaining three pick the caliber I have enough to spare. I think that covers the new stuff, so let me know if you have any questions. Thanks Grump for joining the fun and offering up this added brass.

UPDATE #2:Hopefully I didn't miss anyone but I broke them into three groups even though some might apply to multiple sections (listed on page 3).

This is how it will work from here: I will wait for Grump to contact me with his choice and then I will contact the four winners through a PM to get their address and chosen brass. Just as a reminder, there is one .30-06 available, so the first of the winners that PM me back with their address and asking for the .30-06 will get them sent directly from Grump. The other three can choose from any of the handgun brass listed in the OP and I have enough of all of the calibers, so even if those three pick the same it will work. With that said, if you want the .30-06, please return my PM identifying you as a winner saying that you want the .30-06, but also a handgun caliber as your second choice in case you aren’t the first one. Also, I will wait for a winner’s response for 24 hours and then I will move to the next one on the list. I will continue this until the four bundles of brass are accounted for.

I think I covered everything but in case I missed something please PM me.

Thank you to everyone that posted these Pearls.

Dave

LAST UPDATE: I guess I forgot to state that all four that were selected got their brass but I left this thread open as a place to add to over time. Thanks to everyone that has posted to, or even read, this thread.
    Last edited by NewbieDave007; 08-09-2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Minor change. Caliber no longer needed in post. Also, added brass. Update.

Boolit Master

I really like what your doing here. I to have been helped by members of this site and by the knowledge here. I don't or need anything but will add a pearl you decide if its wisdom. Write everything down, everything length charge seating depth date components and label everything. It will ensure safety and keep you from back tracking. And one day when you are gone others can be safe and sure in using " granddads" home rolled boolits.

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    I really like what your doing here. I to have been helped by members of this site and by the knowledge here. I don't or need anything but will add a pearl you decide if its wisdom. Write everything down, everything length charge seating depth date components and label everything. It will ensure safety and keep you from back tracking. And one day when you are gone others can be safe and sure in using " granddads" home rolled boolits.
    I think that is excellent and sound advice. Thanks.

Love Life
    If using the stainless steel cleaniing method and cold water you must ENSURE ALL CASE LUBE IS OFF OF THE BRASS BEFORE CLEANING. If you don't all of your brass will come out with a nice grey lube/grim finish, your pins will have a nice grey lube/grime finish, and the inside of your drum will have a nice grey lube/grime finish. It will require the use of very hot water, green scrubby pads, and a bunch of soap to clean everything up. Oh, and it will include an angry wife looking over your should as you fill up several buckets of hot water from the bath tub, and spill a little on the carpet on the way out to the garage...

Love Life,

That's not from personal experience is it? I think your wife and mine must be related or something. Lol

On a serious note: Thanks for the "Pearl" and don't forget to list the caliber. This is for EVERYONE. Personally, I see it as the "Newbies" (like me) get the information, and the veterans get a small incentive to share their knowledge. Plus, the selfish side of me gets to give back.

Thanks.
    Dave

Boolit Master

I am not looking for any brass at this time but I wanted to say this is a classy post.

I'll throw in a few pearls of wisdom anyway though.

1) Don't cast naked. Cover any part of you that you can't afford to lose. That is why I always wear underwear.
    2) Pick up every single unattended brass you see at the range, you never know when it might come in handy! I'm digging out and using brass I picked up 20 years ago. The same can be said about lead too.
    3) Expensive and best isn't always necessary. You can have a ton of fun with repurposed melting equipment and a lee mould.
    4) Don't get caught up in brand loyalty wars. Good is good and bad is bad, no matter who made it.

Ok, I have to go back to work.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    I am not looking for any brass at this time but I wanted to say this is a classy post.

I'll throw in a few pearls of wisdom anyway though.

1) Don't cast naked. Cover any part of you that you can't afford to lose. That is why I always wear underwear.
    2) Pick up every single unattended brass you see at the range, you never know when it might come in handy! I'm digging out and using brass I picked up 20 years ago. The same can be said about lead too.
    3) Expensive and best isn't always necessary. You can have a ton of fun with repurposed melting equipment and a lee mould.
    4) Don't get caught up in brand loyalty wars. Good is good and bad is bad, no matter who made it.

Ok, I have to go back to work.
    Fishman,

I'm glad you listed #1, because...well, I guess the cops would get called on me either way. I guess that is out for a few reasons (safety being one of them). I like the others also. Great advice.

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but...you are one of the four, so thank you for your help.

Thanks.
    Dave

Love Life
    True story, but please pass the brass off to someone else who may need it.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Dave for starting this thread; its a fantastic idea, and I hope you can compile it somehow. As this is intended to be a source for new reloaders and casters, I'll throw this general but important stuff out there for consumption:

Do not trust a single source for load recipes when you are working up a new load. People make mistakes, and they can end up getting posted and published. Get at least two highly rated sources and make sure they are comparable to each other before you load them up. Also, start your load work-ups at the low end with just three or four rounds, and work your way up, checking for pressure signs and accuracy. Never exceed max published loads. Check and double check everything as you learn. Never skip steps and checks just to save time.

Shoot safe and have fun.

This is some great stuff.

I have made one minor change to the "rules". You no longer have to say your caliber as I will ask you when I PM you, if your comment is selected.

Like I said, this brass is not for a need, but for a want. There is a difference. If you are a reloader that is set with brass, and I select your response, then just tell me a caliber that your protégé, or son, or daughter, or grandkid reloads. There really is no need to turn it down as it is all about want, giving back, and passing-it-on.

Thanks.
    Dave

Boolit Bub
    As a relatively new caster, I'll put down some of the most important lessons I've picked up.

1. Smelting lead is an outdoors operation. I don't care how good your ventilation is, it probably isn't better than out in the open air, and air is something we definitely need if we intend to keep casting.
    2. Make sure the lead you are smelting is dry. I know there are a number of special cases to this rule, and not every infraction will get you a visit from the tinsel ferry, but let's just be on the safe side here.
    When you start pouring boolits and discover they don't come out right, I find there are three good things to check.
    - Make sure you have pre-heated the mold thoroughly. A cold mold will cause under-sized or wrinkled boolits.
    - Make sure your mold is clean. If there is any doubt, clean it again. If it has been sitting a while, clean it anyway. I've never heard of a mold being too clean.
    - Know your casting temperature. If you haven't already, make the investment in a lead thermometer. This will allow you to add awareness and consistency to your casting.

Just a few suggestions, and certainly not complete. These are just a few of the more memorable mistakes I've made and maybe learned from.
    jld_in_IA
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Well I do have a little stash that my Dad left me... but can always use a little extra 38spc brass!

As for pearls... well Im a newbe, but I do have some advice for those starting out... maybe not pearls..I think more common sense...

Starting out... well you dont need to wait to you have a large stash of cash to get loading... buy what you can, when you have the extra money. More now that supply is tight..Its easy to get discureged... but every little thing, is one step closer to the goal of loading [or casting]

DONT FORCE IT!!! if you loading something, or doing anything in the process, and its not realy working or fitting... step back...and think. Dont yank on that handle harder.. dont brake out the hammer... stop and think first. You will find the problem.

This goes back to the last one... but if things dont seem right...or you got confused...or something seems off... STOP! step back, and think... go back a few steps, and dont be afraid to pull a few bullets to make sure all is well.

Boolit Buddy Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar
    1. You will not remember your own "pet loads," if you don't write them down, you will have to work up the load again.

2. Rhythm and speed are different, rhythm gets things done efficiently, speed can put a decapping pin through a finger nail.

3. Very early on I learned that there is a difference between having a beer or 2 while reloading, and reloading drunk, in my defense, I did a bulk reload and sat reloading for over 5 hours, and the beer or 2 I intended to have turned into 7 over that time, I'm lucky I only left myself a nice mess to clean up.

4. I too met someone here that I has enriched my life in a way I wouldn't have expected, so always have an open mind, and if someone asks if you want to have a cup of coffee, make the time.

Boolit Master
    Great idea, I like it
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnal Stumblebutt View Post
    1. You will not remember your own "pet loads," if you don't write them down, you will have to work up the load again.
    So true...

Boolit Buddy
    It has been nearly 50 years since I stuffed and hammered on that first 32 Winchester Special Cartridge.
    For what they are worth, here a a handful of "pearls" - or useless rock - you decide.

1) For smelting or reclaiming bulk lead from pipe, or wheel weights, or whatever, I work outside on concrete. Blacktop will succumb to spilt hot lead, grass and leaves will burn. Using the burner from one of those turkey fryer outfits and a bottle of LP gas, I heat things up in a (gasp!) heavy aluminum pressure cooker - NO LID - just a cover of foil to keep the heat in. I have never has a problem of contamination from the aluminum. Keeps the big mess outdoors.

2) When bulk smelting, I use a system of molds. I use Lyman ingots for wheel weights. I use a Saeco ingot mold for linotype. I use an iron corn cob mold for reclaimed range lead, and small muffins for pure lead. Whatever your system, if you stick with it, you'll never have to scratch your head asking "I wonder what this is."

3) I cast bullets indoors, out of the wind and in the comfort of a heated space. A VENTED range hood overhead and aluminum side panels send nearly, if not all, of the fumes outside. Offers pretty good lighting as well.

4) Not too many years ago, I picked up a Lyman Tru-line press for each handgun caliber I load, and utilize a Lyman press plate mount. Set up is nearly instant, dies need no adjustment, the powder measure is pre-set. Short of a Dillon progressive outfit, it doesn't matter whether I need 25 or 250 shells - it is never too much - or too little - bother.

5) In storing supplies, other than primers in a separate cabinet: For each caliber, I have four shelves along the wall over my bench. All my brass, dies, projectiles, and in many cases powder are right there in front of me. Each caliber is segregated, there is little chance of mix-up.

6) My grandmother always told me that cleanliness is next to Godliness. While some might want to debate that, I will say that in the world of reloading, neatness and orderliness is directly proportional to safety. An organized uncluttered workbench is a safe workbench. Period.

7) Mark your powder! Never put yourself in a position where you are staring at a half a pound of powder in a measure asking - is this unique or bullseye or ?
    I take a piece of note card, write the powder on it and slip it inside the clear powder measure tubes. The solid tubes get a piece of blue masking tape.

8) Make up a dummy load for each projectile you load, scratch the specs into the brass. Next time you need to set your seating die will take no time at all.

9) Never trust another's hand loads - and don't give your's away. And NEVER trust your own memory. If it isn't written down, you don't have it.

10) Finally, many of us use computers. Their memory is nearly as fallible as mine. Remember - if you do not have three copies of something (hard disk, backup, paper) you don't really have it at all.
    Last edited by BwBrown; 05-01-2013 at 03:02 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

This is a great idea for a giveaway !

Here are a couple pearls of casting wisdom that I received here, that I treasure and have made most of my casting sessions successful.

1. No matter what some members post, The Alloy doesn't need to be super hot. About the time I joined the forum, Gearnasher posted that the alloy should be about 100º above liquidus. If the alloy has a lot of tin, a workable pouring temp could be as low as 600º. Anyway, get a alloy thermometer and find out your alloy liquidus temp (it goes from slushy to liquid).

2. Preheat the mold. I use a older hotplate I got from a thrift store, it is the open coil style, I put a used circle saw blade on it so the mold doesn't sit right on the coil. I also put a steel coffee can (with a slot cut in it, to accomodate for the handle) over the mold to hold the heat in and maintain a more constant temp.

Good Luck,
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

If you are starting out and you are buying factory ammo to shoot until you get enough brass to make reloading worthwhile, you will never get to reloading! Buy tools, brass, primers, powder, Get Coaching, and get started reloading.

Teamwork/Partners is a good way to afford the tools to start. I recommend not sharing ownership of a specific tool, but rather you buy some of the tools and your partner buys some of the tools so that together you have a reasonably complete set and can start saving immediately! Then you can add tools to add capability before you eventually head your separate ways with complete outfits.

Learn on someone else's equipment, with coaching, so you learn for free what equipment will allow you the production quantity and quality which will satisfy you so you don't ever need to upgrade to better or faster equipment.

Never worry about where the BrassMagnet finds his brass...unless you are on the same range he is!

Boolit Buddy
    For those of you who remember my post about my Weatherby Vanguard blowup from last fall here is my newest most inviolate pearl of wisdom NO Grandkids allowed in the reloading room while powder charging cases and seating boolits!!!!!! No Exceptions no not even once !Lock the door and ignore all distractions .

Boolit Man
    I don't need the brass, but here is something I have learned in reloading.

When selecting a load I use the following guidelines, where possible:
    1) Select a load that can't be double charged (it would overflow the case). Using slower powders usually satisfies this guideline.
    or
    2) Select a load that would still be within pressure specs if it is double charged. Using smaller charges of fast powders like Bullseye that are still within specs even if double charged satisfies this second guideline. Why go with a large charge of a fast powder that can still be doubled in the case, and might be dangerous? For example, if a max charge of Bullseye is 6 grains, then 3 grains would be a good plinking load if it is an acceptable load for that cartridge.

I am not trying to find the perfect load, as I am not a good enough shot to benefit from it. Keeping it simple makes life easier, and following these two guidelines gives me peace of mind even if I make a mistake in loading.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast