Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I need some Bible 101

In Remembrance

Jesus said that he stands at our door and knocks. If any person opens the door he will enter and commune with them (fellowship and reveal himself). He said look and ask for him and you will find him. He will put people and information in your path. May God reveal himself to you and your family.
    Last edited by DLCTEX; 02-19-2014 at 11:43 PM.

Boolit Man
    Fantastic thread. I prefer the KJV personally. When I read, I pray first and specifically ask for understanding, it helps me to receive what is written and apply it to my own life better.

I will say I had fallen away for a long time. I am still just getting back. I heard it said once from a religious person who also had to go out into life and learn the hard way, he said "God will send you a whisper for a while to come back. Then he will bump you to say, come back. After a while he will beat you over the head with a 2 x 4 to get your attention." I can attest to that as I went all the way to the 2 x 4 when I finally asked in prayer what I was supposed to do, and I know of a couple that have gone to the level of a Mack Truck running over them.

I am happy to hear of someone following the prompting.

I also agree John is a great place to start. As are the rest of the 4 Gospels.

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the family. I have seen a lot of suggestions as to the best translation. There are a lot of really good ones out there and a couple of really bads ones which I see no one has recommended. I am partial to the New American Standard Version (NASV). It is a more literal translation and can be a little akward to understand at times. The King James Version is good to but you may need assistance on some of more archaic words used. Until recent years, most translating teams drew from a broad spectrum of denominations and review committees and are very solid. Avoid paraphrases (the Bible in one man's view/interpretation) and one-man translations; they reflect the prejudices of the translator. I would agree that the Gospel of John is a very good start. It can't hurt to read Romans as it lays out the basic doctrines of the Faith. It doesn't hurt to read the same passages in different versions either.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    It Blesses my heart to read these comments from Brothers who are willing to encourage all to read the Bible. That is what we do down here. Try to encourage neighbors and others to "Look to God, trust in the Lord Jesus as their personal Savior and walk in God's Truth".
    God's Word sure keeps me going and sane in the midst of all the turmoil and lies.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

I totally agree that this site and this particular thread is the best on the net. It is so neat to hear from all the different denominations represented here but still we are all part of the Church with the big C. No denominations in heaven I'm pretty sure. When I study God's Word I let scripture interpret scripture. By that I mean I check cross references to tie it all together. 2Tim 3:16-All scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for instruction in righteousness.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    I haven't spent much time reading the Bible but have been raised a Lutheran. I'm not offering any excuses for having a dusty Bible but I'm learning that "dusty Bibles can lead to dirty lives" as a pastor in a new church I have been going to says. I've read Genisis and enjoyed the story of Joseph. And today I learned that Acts brings together the New Testament and the Old Testament and lays out or marks the start of the Church.

The trouble I have had in the past is that I start reading at page one and not get the picture or lose interest.

Are there some books of the Bible I should get to know first that would help keep the big picture in mind? Is one version or style of The Word better than another. I up to chapter 6 in Acts and am having a great time.
    Start with the Gospels. Mark is a good one to start with since it is fast moving and keeps your attention. Move on to Matthew and Luke knowing they cover much of the same material from another perspective. John is another look and totally different collection of events purposely assembled to aid in belief.

Romans is without a doubt the most important of Paul's letters. This and the Letter to the Hebrews does a lot in explaining what Jesus did and God's big plan of salvation. It will explain Jesus' mission. Most of the other letters are written to address certain problems (even Revelations is a letter). While these letters are important, I recommend starting with the Gospels, Romans and Hebrews.

I would never recommend the King James. It was archaic when released in 1611. Pick a modern translation that you can comfortably read. For some this is the NIV or Living. For others the ESV and NASB. This represents two ends of a spectrum. The first are not word-for-word translations but are easy to read. The second two (along with the KJV) are word-for-word but harder to read. Personally I like the NRSV or the RSV. These flow nice and are faithful to the original languages. The Amplified has a lot to offer since it provides in-text clarification.

There are lots of commentaries out there that can help with understanding the Bible. The most important thing is to understand how the Bible should be approached. I highly recommend "How to Read the Bible for All It's Worth" and "How to Read the Bible Book by Book." These are cheap and relatively short. Digest what these have to say and you will be well ahead of most church goers.

I thought I try and update everyone on the fun I'm having reading the Bible. I seem to like the New King James version and have read John, Luke and I'm half way through Mathew. And I have done some peeking around Galaitions and 1st Corinthians. We bought a Action Bible for the Kids and our 8 year old son is around page 217 based on Judges 6. It is in a comic book style layout with a lot of pictures. Our 11 year old likes to read together more than alone. It's fun to tell them about Gods love and that he has a plan for everyone if we can find it in our hearts to ask and listen.

I had no idea how much reading Gods Word could help in all parts of my life.

"Lord I wanna thank you, for all you done for me" (Shamelessly borrowed from the Blind Boys of Alabama in the song "Thank You Lord")
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post

I would never recommend the King James. It was archaic when released in 1611. Pick a modern translation that you can comfortably read. For some this is the NIV or Living. For others the ESV and NASB. This represents two ends of a spectrum. The first are not word-for-word translations but are easy to read. The second two (along with the KJV) are word-for-word but harder to read. Personally I like the NRSV or the RSV. These flow nice and are faithful to the original languages. The Amplified has a lot to offer since it provides in-text clarification.

It took me a few years to get used to the KJV, but it was worth it. The other more "modern" translations have more gross errors in them. The NIV never gets read in my home anymore even though I grew up reading it. It's terrible as far as the "liberties" the translators took. The KJV isn't perfect either, but it' s much closer to the truth (IMO) that some/most/all of the other modern versions.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    I thought I try and update everyone on the fun I'm having reading the Bible. I seem to like the New King James version and have read John, Luke and I'm half way through Mathew. And I have done some peeking around Galaitions and 1st Corinthians. We bought a Action Bible for the Kids and our 8 year old son is around page 217 based on Judges 6. It is in a comic book style layout with a lot of pictures. Our 11 year old likes to read together more than alone. It's fun to tell them about Gods love and that he has a plan for everyone if we can find it in our hearts to ask and listen.

I had no idea how much reading Gods Word could help in all parts of my life.

"Lord I wanna thank you, for all you done for me" (Shamelessly borrowed from the Blind Boys of Alabama in the song "Thank You Lord")

Hey, sounds like God's got a hold of you. Praise God! And a tree will be known by it's fruit.

I send a prayer out for you whenever the Lord brings you to mind.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorfan View Post
    It took me a few years to get used to the KJV, but it was worth it. The other more "modern" translations have more gross errors in them. The NIV never gets read in my home anymore even though I grew up reading it. It's terrible as far as the "liberties" the translators took. The KJV isn't perfect either, but it' s much closer to the truth (IMO) that some/most/all of the other modern versions.
    I am not looking to start a translation war here. Most people cannot understand the archaic language of the KJV. Words have changed so much in some cases they now mean the exact opposite as they did in 1611 (e.g., "let"). Newer translations (RV/ASV and on) used older original language manuscripts than did the KJV. Older copies, means more true to the original documents.

The KJV is more poetic, easier to memorize...but not the most accurate or easiest to understand English translation. It hasn't been for a very long time.

Banned

Again, I'll suggest the Amplified - it makes the most sense and more Word/Light is better. Not of fan of the "modern" language translations, not literal enough for me.
    Last edited by jmort; 06-01-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

When you read ask the Holy Spirit to open God's word to you. He now resides in you and will always respond, especially to this request.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    It seems to me that all the versions of the Bible have their beauties, but, I prefer the King James ...It's like my wife of 45 years...she is a bit old-fashioned, and sometimes hard to understand, but I don't feel the need to trade her for a plainer version!

The truest words you will ever read in any version of the Bible are in John:3:16-17.

16 ¶For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

And, that's the why of the whole beautiful thing!

Personally, I find Paul sometimes hard to understand, and he was forever fighting false doctrines in his letters, but there is no denying the man's testimony!

The Gospels...Matthew, Mark, Luke, John give the basis, and each testifies that our Savior is the literal Son of God, and how he fulfilled the Atonement and Resurrection for us all! Acts is also good, as is Peter's vision, which sent the Disciples to the Gentiles, and not just the Children of Israel.

Revelations is interesting, it you don't try to make it a crystal ball.

If you would like to read some excellent novels, based closely on the history of Israel at the time of Christ, try the A.D. Chronicles by Brock & Bodie Thoene. Historically accurate and entertaining, I thought.

I find that the Bible is not a novel, and can 't be read as such, although there are surely those who will disagree with me. Whatever we can do in that line of effort, if we attempt to understand and follow the principles, it will have a positive effect.

Be well, and
    HE is risen!

I have a pretty simple opinion, if you can read romans, and understand it, you will have better understanding then about 90% of most..... Romans spells it out for you... If you have a hard time with KJV, or ESV, try the amplified version... I am an ESV kinda guy... Most bibles fall into 2 categories, either they are translations, or interpretations... I like the translations, with explanations on the side board.... Those are commonly called study bibles... Once you get through some of the word on your own, and your feel comfortable, start re-reading with a good study bible... I am sure that there is a good bible based support group that would love to have you, as the head of your family, become closer to the living word of God, our Lord (Father) Jesus (Son) Christ (Holy Spirit)... Our 3 in one God head...

Blessings to you and your relationship with Him.

AG

Boolit Grand Master

When you read Paul, please understand that in training and thinking style he was a lawyer. He writes arguments, rational and logical within the background of his original audience. This is especially true in Romans. If you can follow and understand the argument you will understand Paul. If you study the first Century city he wrote to and their background you will understand it more fully.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Master

When you finish Acts read Hebrews. By the time you read all the Old Testament references from Hebrews, you will be aware that the whole Bible is about Jesus.
    Happy reading

In Remembrance

Ways of Reading the Bible
    by Felix Just, S.J., Ph.D
    http://catholic-resources.org/Bible/Reading-Bible.htm
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Grand Master

Good resource, thank you. One thing not mentioned is a Chronological Bible. The Bible is organized by concept, in line with ancient thinking. Today we tend to think historically, one thing following another in time. I read history as a hobby, so this is probably magnified for me. I have read and studied the Bible since I was 10 years old and have half of an MDiv in my Doctoral program. I had, in all that process, never read the Bible through. I got a Chronological Bible several years ago and read it through in a month or so. It made sense to me in new ways doing this.

All a chronological Bible does is re-organize the scripture to historical order. This especially means that you read Kings and Chronicles mixed together with the Prophet and the Psalms that were likely written then. You read a combination of the Gospels, the beginning of Acts, and then James. You read Paul's letters in the context Acts gives them.
    Wayne the Shrink

In Remembrance

Here is a good primer on reading the bible in historical fashion:
    http://www.ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/...sID=-306548622

12 Periods: 14 Narrative Books
    Early World: Genesis (1–11)
    Patriarchs: Genesis (12–50)
    Egypt and Exodus: Exodus
    Desert Wanderings: Numbers
    Conquest and Judges: Joshua, Judges; supplemental ‐‐ Ruth
    Royal Kingdom: 1 and 2 Samuel; 1 Kings (1‐11)
    Divided Kingdom: 1 Kings (12‐22); 2 Kings; supplemental ‐‐ Jonah
    Exile: 2 Kings (17, 23‐25); supplemental ‐‐ Daniel
    Return: Ezra; Nehemiah; supplemental ‐‐ Esther
    Maccabean Revolt: 1 and 2 Maccabees
    Messianic Fulfillment: Luke
    The Church: Acts of the Apostles

www.ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/seriessearchprog.asp?seriesID=-306548622
    C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Buddy

Hello. I felt like I should toss in my $0.02 worth.

King James sought to publish the most important of he biblical books, in what was then the modern language. He felt that all men should be able to look after their own souls, not be dependent upon a priest or other religious authority. His scholars did a pretty impressive job. But do not forget there were other books left out.

A number of books overlapped each other. God called who he wanted, when he needed them, and where he needed them. As well, some books were more historical, some more religious. And a lot of books mixed both.

I use the King James. I found the best understanding when I took the courses on the Old and New Testaments offered by BYU. There was even a clear explanation of Zenos and his olive trees. The best concordance I have ever seen, was also courtesy of the LDS. It is in their set, the Three-in-one, but you do not need to read the other books if you do not want. But the concordance is fantastic.
    OeldeWolf
    who may yet be kicked out of the Republik of Kalifornia for owning too many firearms.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain, to eat only vegetables!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast