Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Rebarrel pre '66 Savage

Boolit Buddy

Rebarrel pre '66 Savage

Found a nice savage 110l in 243 a while back. Thought about a 6.5 creedmore but I came across a 308 model 10 barrel the other day. Since the old barrel has a counterbore that makes clearance for the extractor on the extended bolt face some lathe work is in order. There is also a .250 difference in chamber depth between the two barrels. I'm thinking rent a rough and finish reamer with gauges. I guess I could swap bolts but with a left hand 110 it might get a bit dicy. Comments?
    thanks, Brian

Sounds like an easy lathe project too me. You would be wasting your money if you rented a roughing reamer, finish reamer and gauges is all you'll need. If I were to do it I would likely chase the threads forward a half inch or so for the bbl nut and trim the same amount off the shank and factory chamber. Doing this will give you a new throat and assure that the reamer cuts the full diameter of the chamber.

Boolit Buddy
    Hadn't really thought about the throat, new would be a plus. Don't think I have enough material though. There is about .2 stock after the threads before the barrel taper starts. Could go the .2 plus the .25 from the counterbore.
    Brian