WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lead boolit ban in CA? OMG a condor died

How convenient.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Buddy

convenient in timing, and the individual condor involved.

disturbing links:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...ntcmp=obinsite

http://blog.aarp.org/2012/09/04/majo...ement-savings/

gotta watch all areas. the inmates have gained control of not just the hospital, but the country.
    OeldeWolf
    who may yet be kicked out of the Republik of Kalifornia for owning too many firearms.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain, to eat only vegetables!

Boolit Master

"The U.S. Geological Survey estimates that nationwide there are 400,000 pieces of lead shot per acre in wild game territory that can be eaten or washed into waterways, and that the 60,000 metric tons of lead fired off in 2012 is second largest use of lead behind storage batteries."

I would like to see the method used to come up with those numbers.

I hard a really hard time reading the article. It is full of so much complete BS. The USGS estimate is one of them.
    I also know for a fact bullets are not the second highest use of lead. I do know that batteries are a HUGE increase over the number two.

and that the 60,000 metric tons of lead fired off in 2012
    At the average weight of a bullet being 100grains (which is a very conservative figure)
    9.24 billion rounds that is 9,240,000,000 rounds fired last year? Outside military production it is questionable that there is enough production to keep up with that demand.
    I am guessing alot of that ammo was military and not even shot in the US. Making the statistic meaningless to the article.

If you really want to read something good. get the book 'how to lie with statistics'
    http://www.amazon.com/How-Lie-Statis...ith+statistics

That should be mandatory reading in high school. So people realize how suspect all use of statistics IS.

Boolit Master

they need tougher birds

Boolit Master

I suppose our forefathers who lived on food shot with lead bullets all died of lead poisoning then? I know the old timers faced a lot of ailments back in the day but I wasn't aware that lead poisoning was one of them, but then I doubt anyone else was aware of it either since it isn't true.

Boolit Master

" 400,000 pieces of lead shot per acre in wild game territory" This is TOTAL BS! You would have piles of lead laying everywhere. I seriously doubt that you would find that kind of coverage on a trap or skeet range! Much less "in wild game territory". This is just another blatant example of "twisting" or making-up numbers to fit your agenda. Just another example of the old saying "A lie can go around the world before the truth can get out the door."

Also an example of the three types of lies! There are lies, damn lies, and statistics!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

"There is no safe level of lead for human consumption,"

Here is more. If that was true we would all be dead or maimed. Just visiting a tire shop would be deadly and osha would require respirators by the tire techs. Taking wheel weights off and blasting the bead edge with air is bound to put a few tiny particles of lead in the air. Not to mention there are trace amounts in most water. The list goes on.

This is BS nothing but a way to try and limit ammo supplies to the public. 400,000 lead bullets an ac on hunting land,I don't think so there is 1,000 ac behind my land open for hunting and I'll bet you there is not even a dozen shots fired on a ac each year.

Some of us are enviornmentally concious enough to go to the range and remove some of that nasty lead from the ground. I tip my hat to those concerned individuals.

Boolit Master
    It's junk science used to promote a radical agenda, and the media is too lazy to do anything more than go along with it.

The existing ban was based on what later proved to be biased and full of misinformation. However, the state legislature and Arnold didn't let the lies get in the way of implementing the ban.

Boolit Mold

Unfortunately, I think we should all be ready for the **** to be pushed on the national level. Now that Congress has refused to impose gun control, a ban on lead bullets will be one of the actions Obama will be able to take without Congressional approval.

Boolit Master

In every car with power steering, I have be told, there is a 9 or 10 lb. lead counterwieght. And, I suppose that they included the lead mined here in Missouri.
    Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Mold
    Trying to stay ahead of these politicians is like herding cats....
    The liberal progressives are tossing so much stuff against the wall hoping for something to stick, and unfortunately some of it is bound to unless we all stay vigilant.

Boolit Grand Master

Also an example of the three types of lies! There are lies, damn lies, and statistics! -km101

Smart man once said "Give me enough numbers and I can prove anything" and I know enough about numbers and stats to believe him. To come up with 400,000/acre all they had to do was find a low spot where a few pellets had somehow gathered, count all the pellets in a square foot (or even less!) and extrapolate that over a larger area, in this case an acre. All you have to do is find 10 pellets within a square foot and you've "proved" this allegation.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

A) The reason condors and other vultures have so much trouble with lead is because they have extremely acidic digestion juices this kills the bacteria that would other wise kill them. So we can safely pass small amounts of metallic lead or even mercury because we do not have acid levels that high.

B) i will bet if you can find the information wind mills kill more condors then lead!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

So how do they know the lead comes from bullets.
    There are other sources of lead in the environment.
    Between 1923 and 1973 there was an average of 20 million tonnes of organically active tetra ethyl lead that went straight into the food chain. No one has ever measured the millions of tonnes of lead used in lead paint for hundreds of years as well. To single out bullets as a significant cause of lead poisoning in anything is disingenius and misleading.
    Anther example of junk science and poor research used to promote an anti gun owner agenda.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by xs11jack View Post
    In every car with power steering, I have be told, there is a 9 or 10 lb. lead counterwieght.
    Uh, I don't think so but I wish it were true, that would be a nice source for casting lead. The only lead I know of in a car is the battery and wheel weights, never heard of a steering counterweight.

All you need to do to throw off the balance of these people is cite Leadville, Colorado. Place even has a college, which if everyone consumed lead as a child and had developmental challenges, well it wouldn't need a college then? Colorado produced *probably* more silver than all other states/territories and a major ore was galena, which is lead sulfide. All the mining towns have water in contact with this ore, and there are beavers, School of Mines, and irrigation utilizing this water. Aspen Colorado was a huge producer of silver, and well I guess maybe it did screw those people up (the Commifornia actors at least), but not the normal people. The ksp (or solubility) of lead in neutral water is miniscule (order of 10^-19). Let them eat that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast