Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When did you teach your kids to shoot?

Boolit Master
    The boys were 4 and my daughter was six when they started shooting the Chipmunk 22. They were each maybe a year younger when they started with a BB gun. At about 8 they started shooting the Ithaca M49. When the oldest son was 8 or 9 he shot a lot of light 357 loads and full bore 7mm TCU out of the 14" Contender. My daughter is now 41, oldest son is 38, and youngest son 35. We had some great times shooting while they were growing up. We live in the country and during summer vacation while they were in High School I bought them cases of 5K 22 long rifle which would last them about a month if I was lucky. They were using my Remington nylon 66 then. Guys, you can't imagine how I long for those great days. When they do get home we still like to shoot if we can find the time.

Boolit Master

Both of mine were 5 & 6. Daughter took right to it at age 6. Boy was A.D.D., so I had to be cautious. They understood, and knew about not touching guns, but being A.D.D., my boy would do what he knew would get him in trouble. So, for many years the guns and ammo were locked up. Esp when he took a 22lr bullet to school I had put on my shelf from squirrel hunting.
    But at ages 21 and 22 now, I all this time thought my boy would be the gun nut, but I was mistaken. My daughter is gun and reloading crazy. My boy likes his guns, but only if they are zombie killers or tacticooled out. Still young and immature, he'll grow out of it soon enough I suppose.
    He's headed to the Marines, doing some type of covert training that requires security level clearance?? All he would tell me, and I just took him for his word about it. But one of the prerequisites is shooting skills, which he passed with flying colors. (I'll take credit for starting him out shooting!!)
    Anyone possibly know what he's talking about that could enlighten me on it??
    He's being tight lipped about it, and I know it's because he's not wanting to worry his mother more than she is, and doesn't want me to tell her anything that he's getting trained for.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Apply no pressure for answers, not even asking. If he wants to communicate it is because he feels a need to do so. Otherwise, let sleeping dogs lie. This approached worked fine for both of my sons who have "big" time jobs, one as the computer responsible person for a 100 man company processing credit cards, and the other as the ammo supplier for 4000 stores. 30 and 28 years of age respectively. Communication with them involves small talk, family stuff, unless complications arise. ... felix
    felix

Love Life
    My 3.9 year old daughter has already been started on an airsoft with old cookies as targets. Her pink Crickett, a brick of Eley target ammo, and a couple silhouette targets cut into the sapes of monsters are waiting for her when she is ready to advance. She only shoots for about 30 minutes a day until she finds something else to do (does that ever stop with girls), but we are building the foundations.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by 41 mag fan View Post
    Both of mine were 5 & 6. Daughter took right to it at age 6. Boy was A.D.D., so I had to be cautious. They understood, and knew about not touching guns, but being A.D.D., my boy would do what he knew would get him in trouble. So, for many years the guns and ammo were locked up. Esp when he took a 22lr bullet to school I had put on my shelf from squirrel hunting.
    But at ages 21 and 22 now, I all this time thought my boy would be the gun nut, but I was mistaken. My daughter is gun and reloading crazy. My boy likes his guns, but only if they are zombie killers or tacticooled out. Still young and immature, he'll grow out of it soon enough I suppose.
    He's headed to the Marines, doing some type of covert training that requires security level clearance?? All he would tell me, and I just took him for his word about it. But one of the prerequisites is shooting skills, which he passed with flying colors. (I'll take credit for starting him out shooting!!)
    Anyone possibly know what he's talking about that could enlighten me on it??
    He's being tight lipped about it, and I know it's because he's not wanting to worry his mother more than she is, and doesn't want me to tell her anything that he's getting trained for.
    Could be any number of things. Has he been to boot camp yet? Did he go Infantry, tanks, artillery, or any of the combat arms (although we all know the infantry is the best...)?

Boolit Grand Master

In my opinion, the proper age is when the child can obey the STOP! command immediately and without question. That is different for every child. In my daughter's case, that was 6 years old.

I sawed off the stock of the .410 single shot shotgun I had as a kid when my son was 6. He got a youth model 20 gauge when he was 10 and killed a limit of doves at 11. My daughter is a girly girl and never took an interest, she has done some shooting but very little. Son is now 24 and daughter is 21.
    "Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters." Archibald Rutledge

http://doingitoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Unfortunately I didn't start but 4yrs ago. They learned from some one else.
    Whatever!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by rmatchell View Post
    So just wondering when you guys started teaching your kids to shoot. My son is 4 now and is starting to ask to go with me when I shoot. I think it is way to early just yet, but am trying to teach him to be safe around guns if he would co me across one somewhere. My wife and I dont even let him have toy guns, i figure that until he is old enough to know the difference between thbetween a toy and a real gun.

I bought him a springfield single shot 22 when he was born and really look forward to teaching him to shoot, cast, and reload. I am also looking for another one for my daughter just in case she wants to learn.
    started my son at the age of 5. he's 36 now and a lifetime shooter, loader, caster.

otter

Moderator Emeritus

My daughter had/has little interest. She didn't fire a shot until she was 7. My son was shooting a K-38 while seated between my legs @ age 5. He hit most of what he shot @ under 15 yards. If the interest is there it is not too early as long as he can follow the rules strictly.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I made some attempts when my daughter was twelve almost thirteen. She had very little interest at that time. Around seventeen her interest went up. After she made some nice shots with a rifle her interest really went up.

Boolit Bub
    My boys started at around age 4. They each had their own guns by age 5-6. I take them to the range with me and out on the farm. I bring one gun for the 3 of us and shoot 22 shorts. Boys love to see the cans move, but like it even better when I remember to buy a bucket of dinosaurs. They are 6 and 10 now. 10 year old enjoys it, but the 6 year old lives for it. With help, he can shoot any of my handguns other than the 44s and loves the 22 rifles. I teach shooting sports for Scouts and recommend anyone who has guns at home to introduce them early. If not shooting, at a minimum, gun safety. We keep ours locked up, but the boys know how to safely handle them when they are out.

Boolit Master

I started at 6. Started my daughter at 4 and my son at 5. They both share an NEF single shot .410 and my daughter has a single shot .22 Springfield. They are now 10 (daughter) and 7 (son). They both like to shoot and will shoot just about anything in .22. My daughter is not too fond of centerfire guns at 10, but my son will shoot the .38 and 1911. I did get my girl on the Handi in .223 last year shooting jacketed and cast, but she had enough after about 20 rounds. Safety is paramount! They never are near a gun unless I am within grabbing distance (the gun) and popping distance (the back of their head) to correct wrongs. They also know not to touch a gun. EVER! Even at someone else's house and to tell a grown up if they see a gun. They have called me out a few times when I have had guns on the bench for cleaning. "Dad there is a gun over there". "Thank you and great job!"
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

My grandson was about four years old when he discovered that grandpaw had guns. When he visited he would run by ever toy in the house to look at my guns.( Of coarse they were unloaded). I let him hold them and started to instruct him never to point a gun at some one. Next I instructed him how to check to see if a gun was loaded.( About age five, yes rifles and revolvers)) . Then what a loaded round looked like and what a bullet was. I taught him a gun could kill and extreme caution was to be exercised with firearms. Next an air rifle at a pop can behind my house.( with my assistance to hold it up) Then about age 7 it was a Winchester bolt .22. The rifle was not cut down and he had to put the butt of the stock under his armpit. At age 7 or 8 he showed surprising accuracy. He could hit a pop can at fifty yards every 2nd or third shot without any assistance. By that time he was calling the Winchester "his" rifle.
    He is now 12. About three weeks ago he killed a 24+ lb. turkey with a 12 gauge. Last week end he stayed with us. I live adjoining a public hunting area and the chip monks get under my house and tear down the floor insulation so I try to keep them thinned out. So when we spotted some chip monks it did not take him long to ask to kill the chip monks.
    With a scoped CZ 452 Varmit .22 LR rifle, he was 2 for 3 shots. The second shot was at least 40 yards. It kinda surprised me.
    At age 12 he is safe and competent with a firearm.
    At age 9 or so he was on the computer and always asking me "Do you have a sniper rifle". I saw this on the computer what kind of pistol was it. By description I found a Webley Automag. How does this gun work?
    At age four you may take him with you and let him shoot a .22. I am sure he would need assistance. I would use a target that shows some re action( pop can, spinner target, Busting a clay pigeon...etc.) At age four if he is interested I would start with allowing him to handle a firearm and the basic safety of not pointing at someone. Some basic basic marksmanship about the sights. Teach him what he sees on TV or the movies is not real. Then progress as his interests dictate.

Boolit Bub
    I started mine at age 4 & 5. S&W M34 Kit gun for revolver and a Chipmunk for a rifle. I'd be squatting right behind them with my arms around them (just to make sure). I never let them have toy guns, guns are not toys. Drilled my opinions into them from the start. But they knew anytine they wanted to handle firearms, I'd pull out the real things and we'd go to the range.

My daughter never did much shooting after junior hi, but she's gifted me with 3 gorgeous little grandaughters who will be getting a Pink Cricket this summer. Both the boys have turned into passable hunters, shooters and reloaders. The only one showing an interest in casting is my daughter-in-law. She had never shot anything before marrying into the family.

Both my boys were shooting 45 Colt at 4-5, oldest just turned 13 today, and can handle full throttle 44 mag. Youngest, at 10, likes them a little softer. He still tries to talk me out of my 8 3/8 inch model 29, its his favorite range gun.

Boolit Man
    I started both of my boys at about 4 years old on a RedRyder BB gun. They were still small enough that the stock had to be chopped about 2 inches to get it in their shoulder. I later bought the oldest a Rossi combo 410/.22 and the younger a cricket .22. They have since saved money and bought other rifles for themselves. They are 15 and 17 now with very solid marksmanship skills. The oldest has taken intrest in helping me reload for his Savage .308. It's a legacy I hope they continue to pass along.

Boolit Master

I started my son arount the age of 8 yrs but my dad started me at some time younger,I think,I remember that I had to put the stock under the arm because it was to long for me otherwise.It was his 22 cal Remington model 12 or maybe 21 pump action.I don't remember which but that was over 65 years ago.

Boolit Master
    My daughter just started shooting last year at age 6. She liked going to the range but hadn't wanted to shoot before that, just watch.
    Then last year she asked if she could shoot, so we did.
    She then used her own money to buy some 22's.
    Just a few weeks ago we went to the gun club to take her little buddy fishing she wanted to take some guns so he could shoot.
    He is 5 but I think he has shot with his father. I didn't want to mess with it that day, so we just fished.
    They were reciting the NRA 3 safety rules in the backseat while we drove 40 miles on an ammo search before going fishing.
    I think I will be taking him out shooting this summer.
    Also gracie unhooked and threw back a fish all on her own on that outing. She wanted to learn how to bait her own hook, but they keep catching fish to quickly to take the time for that.
    Now she wants to teach everett to take his fish off the hook.
    She really enjoys teaching and helping others (besides her parents with housework).

Gracie learned gun safety from the time she started walking, she is better at it than too many adults.
    I use her as an example in my classes, if a little kid can handle guns safely there is no reason that an adult cannot do the same.

Banned

The only child that showed interest was my youngest. He started shooting at 8 and has never stopped, near as I can tell. He is 18 now and sleeps with a rifle in his room. Kinda strange, I admit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast