RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 80% lowers on rockethub

Boolit Master

80% lowers on rockethub

What are your thoughts on these buy in's? It seems rockethub is legit, and there has not been any scams as far as I can tell in the past. there are 3 or 4 going right now for AR15 80% lowers, and one with AR10 lowers, and a 1911 lower.

http://www.rockethub.com/22106
    http://www.rockethub.com/projects/24...10-rudius-1911
    http://www.rockethub.com/projects/24...-ar15-80-lower

http://www.rockethub.com/projects/23...s-of-ar-lowers

I went ahead and funded all of them to see who delivers. The cost wasn't much so if it is not legit I will be out of burgers for lunch for a week. Have to pack PB and J if worst comes to worst.

Boolit Master
    very good prices!

Boolit Master
    Yup, it has always struck me odd that I could( pre Lanza) buy a 7075 T6 lower already done for 65$, but a 80% cost 125$. I know the material cost is something like 10 or 15?, plus the cost of the tooling, and man hours, so lets add another 10$ per. It still does not add up to 125$ for a 80%? So you have 25$ into it before you make a profit, most retail mark up is 400%, but with less milling done it would seem we would get a break.
    How many could a small outfit mill in a 8 hour day? 16-20 units?

Love Life
    I had to fund Coalbank Metal Works.

From their page:
    Please note: For Government Agencies, wishing to make a purchase, these parts are intended for citizens only and are not licensed for government use. If you wish to purchase one for government use, please use our special “government” pricing. Government models are currently only available in hot pink and will come packed in shredded copies of the second amendment
    -----------------

But wait!!! There is more!!

Q: Why is the government price different?
    A: It is identical to other lowers. However the $300 price tag Government Agencies price allows us the ability to make a large donation of your behalf to the NRA. It also cover the cost of giving it a custom HOT PINK paint coating. Finally it is packed in shredded pieces of the 2nd amendment. 90 percent of your purchase price will donated NRA

Q: Can government purchase in bulk?
    A: Yes, but the price remains the same per piece

Q: Can government purchase in a color other than pink
    A: No

Q: I don't think its fair that the government has to pay a higher price
    A: The government pays $500 for a toilet seat. You can afford $300 for a lower receiver with a custom paint job.

Boolit Master

Me too. Had to sign up for the Coalbank after reading that.

Boolit Master

Whoa ! And I like that my silver bullet post supports the 2nd Amendment !

Boolit Master
    I am surprised no one is hitting up the one with AR10 receivers. Those things are spendy elsewhere, and these come with the jig to drill it out for 30$.

Boolit Master

Does anybody know what it takes to finish an 80% 1911? I like the all 3 with jigs idea through Pebblepeak, but does doing those rails require a mill? Everything on the AR's I can do with a strong drill press, which I have.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_kildow View Post
    Does anybody know what it takes to finish an 80% 1911? I like the all 3 with jigs idea through Pebblepeak, but does doing those rails require a mill? Everything on the AR's I can do with a strong drill press, which I have.
    It looks like the rails are cut in the demo piece. I stayed away from that because it is an alloy 1911 lower. I don't know that I would trust aluminium rails with anything but a .22. Their AR10 lower looked like a fun project so I picked up one of those. I like the 6.5 Grendel, but a 260 Remington would be nice. Was there ever a 35 Whelen version of a 308 cartridge? Like a 35-308?

Boolit Master
    Was there ever a 35 Whelen version of a 308 cartridge? Like a 35-308
    Yep, The 308 necked up to 35 is the 358 winchester. Never seen one in a AR platform, but it's been in bolt guns for many years.
    NRA life member

LB

I went ahead with pebble peak because of the jig included, for 45 bucks, and a couple from Sierra Nevada hoping that the jig will also work with these.

Boolit Master

Interesting on a couple of levels. Lately 80% finished have been hard to find. And these prices are good.

What is supposed to happen to the guns people make for them selves, and cant' sell, after they die?

Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    What is supposed to happen to the guns people make for them selves, and cant' sell, after they die?
    That's when you remember that your kid, or friend did the work..... Really, not sure though.

I'm just trying to figure out if doing the 1911 build would be legal in Michigan without a S.N. on it.

Boolit Master
    You can sell your rifle from one of these, but it has to be serialized, and you cant be making them to sell. If you have one and finish it with numbers, and you die your wife can them sell it or give it to a family member. The intent is that you are making the gun for yourself, and not doing it as a way to make money without a FFL licence. You cannot make one and sell it or give it away if there are no numbers on it. It is such a grey area with BATF with this that I would just consider it yours for life, and if you die your wife or children inherit it, but I would not sell a completed one just to be on the safe side.

Boolit Master

I ordered the pebblepeak as well for the same reason. If this works out I will order another have one in 223 & 300aac then use my spikes receiver as a sacrifice if ever needed.

Boolit Master
    If you put money on Coalbank I would pull it out. Until the funding project is over you can contact rockethub and pull your funds out. This guy has flaked big time, and has dropped his facebook and all contact. There are others that are more responsive to the people funding their projects, and I feel less likely to lose out on my product. One funding project that came up tonight has 10/22 80% receivers. I have done one of those for a pistol build and love it! There are pictures her on the forum. the 10/22 80% took me about an hour to complete with a drill press, and a jig.

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    One funding project that came up tonight has 10/22 80% receivers. I have done one of those for a pistol build and love it! There are pictures her on the forum. the 10/22 80% took me about an hour to complete with a drill press, and a jig.
    Just went ahead and funded this one for the 10/22.

http://www.rockethub.com/projects/25...2nd-ammendment

I would have to check again but I have 10 0% S15 lowers that are my fall project on my CNC... You do not need to have serial numbers on them unless you plan on making them NFA items ( or registering them ) it's my understanding that you can not transfer them. ( there is a lot of this and that on the transfer subject I wold suggest a BATF ruling... )

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boltons75 View Post
    Just went ahead and funded this one for the 10/22.

http://www.rockethub.com/projects/25...2nd-ammendment
    I am going to have a hard time staying away from that buy in as well. My 10/22 rifle has not got out of the safe much since I built that pistol 2 years ago. It may just find itself stripped of its bolt and trigger pack...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast