Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh No! A Green Machine!

Banned

Oh No! A Green Machine!

I received a "new" press last sunday. It's an RCBS Green Machine. It had been hiding in a friend's cellar. Dirty, locked up. I did some cleaning and now have it functional. At first I thought the guide bars were worn out, but now I see that those are actually cut to catch the cases running through this unique looking press. Rotary progressive presses are soooo much simpler that this complicated piece of machinery. The price was right on this little piece of engineering prowess. It is really an interesting machine. Some team of engineers evidently needed to save their jobs. I am one of those people that has to know how it works, I am easily amused.
    I am missing one of the green case feed tubes (no biggie), and in need of a powder hopper and cap. Anyone who has one of these; how do you empty the hopper after a loading session?? It looks like the hopper tube is just stuck on top of the powder measure. If the machine is bolted down, you can pull the tube up and have powder everywhere or you have to turn the whole bench over to get the powder back out. I hate it when I have to do that! Which brings me to another question. I downloaded the manual from RCBS and there is a powder chart, however, I can't find out what weight boolit that chart covers.
    If you have one of these little green monsters for parts, and have a powder hopper and cap let me know what you would want for those parts. Thanks. Glutton for punishment.

Boolit Mold
    In looking at a picture of the press, the powder hopper *appears* to be about the same size as the old Ponsness Warren tubes. Can you measure the OD of the fitting and post it? If it's the right size, I can put you onto a source for these (obsolete, PW no longer makes or sells them).

Boolit Master
    "I downloaded the manual from RCBS and there is a powder chart, however, I can't find out what weight boolit that chart covers."

I don't think that the powder measure's drop chart changes with bullet weights.

Vendor Sponsor

The Green Machine is essentially a C&H Auto Champ. Made by RCBS both were evolutions of the original Buchanan machines. (Not made by Me!)

IN their day they were capible of producing large quantities fo ammo in a relatively short period of time. I once did 500 rounds in one hour on my Auto Champ. As long as you can keep them running they make good ammo,,, fast.

Seagiant will take your's off your hands when you are done playing with it.

For the hopper tube, figure out the size (ID of the tube) and buy some material (6ft)from McMaster-Carr, or other plastic supplier. The cap will be just a normal plastic packaging end cap, and Mc Carr should have those as well.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned
    Thanks for the info on the tube. I was eyeballing the size and figured I could find something to fit. I screwed up earlier and dropped what was left of the broken primer pin into a coffee can full of brass, duh! After sorting through the brass for 20 mins. I came up empty.
    I can see where you could get quite a bit of ammo turned out on this thing, if everything is adjusted right. I did a few minor re-adjustments yesterday and everything seems to be happy. Now, I just have to figure out what type of powder this powder measure was set for. It isn't adjustable, just a fixed hole. There is supposed to be a # on the end of the shank, but I can't see one. Maybe it's under the dial.
    I'm glad to hear that you can turn out a sufficient amount of ammo to make resurrecting this old machine worthwhile. After cleaning it up a bit, it looks pretty good. Just a few minor issues.
    I saw several comments about these on one of the other threads and "boat anchor" was mentioned. Hopefully that isn't the case.
    I love to tinker on old stuff, wonder what the designers were thinking at the time, and have a functional piece of history when I'm done. Isn't that why we collect old guns?

Cast Boolits Owner

I have always been interested in these old presses but have not been able to get my hands on one yet. I do have an ammo master which after some tinkering is running pretty good and is great for a auto progressive rifle loader but leaves a bit to be desired as a pistol loader so I prefer a Dillon SDB for that.

If you ever get tired of this one I would be interested in it.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I finally bought one off of eeeeeeBay for too much money. I just could not resist, it looks so kool ! Mine is setup for 35/357. Just like Infidel, I want to see how this thing works. Really seems that automating/motorizing this press would not be too difficult. Right now, I am trying to figure out a way to use it just to deprime and "round" the case opening for brass prep for all calibers, powered by an electric motor. I bought an inexpensive case feeder made by a machine shop in Florida. Just not enough hours in a day...
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
    Now, I just have to figure out what type of powder this powder measure was set for. It isn't adjustable, just a fixed hole. There is supposed to be a # on the end of the shank, but I can't see one. Maybe it's under the dial.
    If I remember correctly, they used the Little Dandy rotors in those. I played with a friends machine for a few days many years ago. You should find the number on the knurled end. The RCBS Little Dandy powder chart will tell you what you've got.

Boolit Master
    I have and still use a CH Auto Champ (see my avatar) and several other members here do also. Mine uses a powder slide bar which takes different fixed charge inserts each being .625 dia. by .500 " long with a hole thru the center.

These can load 1,000 per hour is someone helps by keeping primer tubes filled and the case collator toped off. Six hundred round per hour is a nice easy pace to maintain, mostly you just place the boolits and pull the handle.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...1&d=1364500366
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Master

I would LOVE to have a linear press that actually works. The weaknesses of the AutoChamp and RCBS GM are known; why can't someone fix the bugs and bring one out?
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    why can't someone fix the bugs and bring one out?
    From what I have read, Dillions, Lees ,Hornadys and others also have bugs. Perhaps to many have forgotton how to trouble shot ,tune, adjust most anything mechanical.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Mold
    I got one of these new when they come out in the early 80s. Loaded 38s with it for about 2 years before someone offered what I paid for it. Powder measure is a Little Dandy, still see them and rotors on ebay. Get this adjusted, keep clean and lubed and you can load thousands on it.

Banned
    I'm having fun with this one. As to the markings on the end of the Lil Dandy powder measure, they ain't there. I pulled it apart tonight looking for the numbers on the end of it. I wondered why it was rusty on the end. The original bluing on the metering drum is in pretty good shape, but there is no knurled end. It has met with a grinder, at some time in it's life. I'm assuming it was interfering with the bullet seater. I did figure out that the cavity is perfect for Titegroup. It is throwing 3.5 gn. That ought to work just fine for 158 gn. lead TC. The powder hopper is 1.234" in diameter. As soon as I locate the right diameter tube and cap, I'll be in bidness. Well, almost..found my broken depriming pin. It's too short to work. I'll see if I can find some .07" drill rod tomorrow. I'm gettin' itchy fingers!

Banned
    Hey ujunkin, how much were these in 1980?

Boolit Master
    Never priced RCBS but CH Auto Champ Mark V in 1981 was $699 suggested retail and one of the Shotgun News dealers The Target Shop sold them for $500.
    Well, almost..found my broken depriming pin. It's too short to work. I'll see if I can find some .07" drill rod tomorrow
    Several here have posted that if you contact RCBS they will send some replacement decaping pins for free. I contacted them a couple of weeks ago and they said they would be in the mail but I am still waiting. My Lee Slip-O-Matic decaper is being used for now.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Master

I bought 2 Green Machine a couple of years ago off of eBay. One is 9mm and the other is 38/357. I changed them to tube primer set up and have let them set. As it's time to reload a bunch of 9mm, I got it out a couple of weeks ago. When I get working well manually, I'll put a servo or stepper motor on it.

How did you set up the tube feeder.
    I have had mine since the early 80s. 38/357
    When I got ready to go to the range I would load about 500 rds an hour before I left.

Quote Originally Posted by perotter View Post
    I bought 2 Green Machine a couple of years ago off of eBay. One is 9mm and the other is 38/357. I changed them to tube primer set up and have let them set. As it's time to reload a bunch of 9mm, I got it out a couple of weeks ago. When I get working well manually, I'll put a servo or stepper motor on it.

Boolit Master
    Had one in 38/357. The problem was the priming. It would spit primers in my face. Put a piece of tape over it to keep the primers inside. Might have made a conversion for tube primers, dont know but get it if possible.

I sold it a got a Piggy Back when they came out.

Boolit Master

Years ago I bought a Piggy Back as my first progressive. I didn't like it and bought a Loadmaster. I hated the Piggy Back so much that I won't sell it or give it away. But, didn't throw it away either.

The primer tubes from the Piggy Back fit right on the Green Machine. I've never checked, but the primer mechanism on both may have interchangeable some parts. At a minimum they didn't completely reinvent the wheel for the Piggy Back.

Boolit Mold
    If I remember right they cost about 300 wholsale, I may have the ticket when I got it...will check