Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Ok. Noob question on little bitty BP mold

Boolit Bub

Ok. Noob question on little bitty BP mold

Ok. Bought a round ball mold for buckshot. Pretty excited when I opened the box. Everything was just as the seller discribed, however I failed to realize how small this mold was.

My question is this.......how the hell do you cast with a mold this small???? I tried but got 2 drops before the mold was so hot I couldn't handle it.

Anyone use old, small, brass, BP molds??? Hints? Suggestions??

Don

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    You no have HANDELS ??
    Y/D

Boolit Bub
    There are handles for these??

Boolit Grand Master

Pix please!

If this is an old style all metal with all-metal handles built in, they really need to be modified
    to have wooden handles. Or you can try to work with hot mitts, or something. Never
    understood how the old timers used these little beasts. I have seen handles added
    by drilling thru the short metal handles and adding overlapping wooden handles.

If this is only a set of two square blocks you are missing out bigtime! Need handles.
    Post a pic if possible.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Bub
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...er-mold-pliers

It's the brass one next to the flask. Looking back I see the quarters. Should have know. But still very happy with the purchase.

Can I wrap some leather over the handles??

Don

Banned

can, or just slip a drilled out wood stick over the handles.

Boolit Grand Master

Leather is a relatively short term solution. Wood is better.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    They're still making and selling a lot of what are termed "bag molds" for the muzzleloading crowd. Specifically for those who wish to emulate the early hunters. They were carried in the hunting pouch/bag along with lead for casting as needed. Most are made of steel now...some brass. None have handles nor were/are they designed to have handles. Mine (.590 Rapine bag mold) have curved handles so you'll not put wood on them easilly. They don't even have sprue cutters. Mike Nesbitt is a big fan of these for casting as he needs them. On the upside...they heat up right smart quick to cast nice balls. Downside is they heat up right smart quick so ya better be wearing gloves! Hate using this thing because I hate clipping off sprues and then filing down the nub. I need a .590 Lee!! I wonder about folks casting them little bitty ones as well. I've got a handfulla new Lee's (.313/.330/.353) single cav. and the sprue is bigger than the ball. I'd buy commercial buckshot first. Audie...the Oldfart..

Boolit Grand Master

These are more historic toys than serious molds. As oldfart says, intended for carrying more than
    using. I have seen the handles drilled for two machine screws (say 8-32 or so) and about 1x1 wooden
    handles bolted on the outside (so it will still close) to make them more user friendly.

Frankly, if you are going to make very many boolits you need to get a real mold, but
    for fun and if you are persistent, this sure should be able to be made to work, just not
    easy and fast.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Bub
    I'm using it as a buckshot mold. I have found so far that if I cast a few balls while casting others types of boolits it let's that little bitty thing cool just enough to handle.

Might try the handle thing though. The sprue is a pain. Side cuts don't do worth a **** because they leave a huge bur. I saw a YouTube video with a guy that had a small set of pointed nippers. Gotta find a set of those.

Boolit Master
    Foxcatcher for the pointed nippers check your local Central Tractor or Family Farm&Fleet or whatever their calling it now. They're called "fencing pliars" as used in barb wire fencing that uses staples. The cutting edge is on the front instead of the side and usually flat faced to better grip fencing staples for removal. We use them for pulling roofing nails as well. The edge slids under the nail head and grips the shank so it doesn't pull the head off and leave the shank. Farriers use a similar tool for pulling nails from horse hooves...I think. Audie...the Oldfart..