Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Dot any good in pistol loads?

Green Dot any good in pistol loads?

Was looking to increase my powder stash today at LGS and all they had was Green Dot. I'm thinking of it for use in 38spcl/357mag, 380acp, 9mm, and 45acp. Anybody like this powder for those applications?
    Ain't that Hatchet Jack's rifle?
    Yep. Found him froze to a tree.
    Damn! He was a wild one, old Hatchet Jack. He was livin' two year in a cave up on the Musselshell with a female panther. She never did get used to him.

Banned

green dot has been popping up a lot lately.
    it is right bout the same burn rate as PB, both are very good in shotguns and pistols.
    a bit faster than unique and slower than red-dot.

Boolit Master
    I've tried it in rifles with no luck despite bein listed in the Lyman manual repeatedly. Made some ok 45LC loads.

The only load I liked was 11-13g over the LEE 340g 45-70 for my T/C. Not much poop to it but I could hit the 200y gong and still feel my hand after shooting.

Boolit Master
    5 grains works nice with a 230 grain bullet in the 45 auto. Green dot would be best served with lower pressure rounds such as the 45 ACP and 38 special which it's pretty good for actually.

You can also check out Alliant's website for their online data:
    http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

There is data in those specific cartridges you mentioned.

^ 5.0gr with the Lee 230 gr TC is my favorite load in 45 Auto (1911) I prefer Unique for the 9mm though. I don't load 38 Spl, but have a 45 Colt Contender barrel on the way and plan to try Green Dot in that as well.

Boolit Buddy

i'm running 5.5 grains of green dot with 200gr plated in 45ACP

in my G30 it runs very good.
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Been using Green Dot for 38 special loads, it is a little dirty with some unburied powder, mostly just trying to use up the last of an old can but they all went bang! Tim

Boolit Buddy
    I had a can of it that I drug around with my stuff through years of grad school and finally decided to burn it up. My observations were that in a 45 ACP under a 200 Missouri Bullet LSW, fantastic. Loved it! In a 30-30, under a 165 Missouri Case bullet, not so much.

Since that day in 2010, I've gotten back to casting a lot of my own and my load for the 30-30 was only 7 gr's. Good for teaching the grandkids, I hear some say here. Since I have no grandkids, pretty whimpy!

Boolit Buddy
    South Louisiana, right between New Orleans and Baton Rouge
    My going phrase is "if I can get it cheap enough, I can find a load for it". Yes, it is good in 9mm, 40 S&W and 45ACP from my accounts.

Boolit Grand Master

I use about the same 5gr load of Red Dot for my 45ACP's. Works good. I posted another thread on Green Dot as I ran across a large number of 4 and 8lb kegs at a sports store last week. I didn't buy it but probably should have got a little bit as the price was pretty good on it.

Boolit Master
    Since I only care about accuracy, Green Dot is excellent in .45Auto and .38 Special.
    Green Dot is in the burn range of Zip, 700X, N330, and PB. Thus, it is an excellent general purpose choice for 9x19.

Boolit Master

I am seeing references to a powder called PB? I would like to know what PB stands for....anybody?
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Porous base, which means "knitted fabric", if you will. Other named powders have holes in their kernals as well, but not like knitted fabric, but more as pipes. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    i have used GD in my 40sw and 45acp and been pleased with the results for loads to punch holes in paper

Boolit Buddy

4.0 gr Green Dot under 127 gr RN is great in both my short (S&W Shield) and long (CZ 75BD) barrel 9mms

Le Loup Solitaire
    Green Dot is an excellent pistol powder that works very well in many calibers. It, when properly adjusted, will give you fine accuracy and as such you can take it to the line for BE comp, or for decent plinking and practice. It meters and burns well. LLS

Many years ago, I was given a 4 lb. (8 lb maybe?) paper keg of Green Dot. At the time I was fairly new into hand loading and I took what I could get. Turns out GD worked very well for me in 9mm and 38 Special. I finally used it up in 10mm with 175 grain boolits for IDPA. I never bought more opting instead for "better" more modern purpose-built powders. I'm not all that sure now that was a good decision.

Boy that brings back memories ... 2400 and Unique in those little square metal cans with the funky squeeze-to-open slotted metal lids.
    Last edited by ku4hx; 04-18-2013 at 06:54 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Corrigan View Post
    I am seeing references to a powder called PB? I would like to know what PB stands for....anybody?
    IMR PB. I've never seen this on the shelf at a store but maybe I just never noticed it.

http://www.imrpowder.com/pb.html

Boolit Master
    PB is also the cleanest burning powder, as if that really means anything, in 9x19 that I have ever found. No ash and case just as clean and shiny inside as before loading.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Extremely consistent ignition, perhaps more so than any other powder. Ignition quality is gained by porous based kernels, but at the expense in duplicating burn speed from lot to lot which is required for a canister grade powder. The holes in the kernels are too easily screwed up with custom deterrents per lot, I suppose. ... felix
    felix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast