Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Done got me a Rem Nylon 66!

Done got me a Rem Nylon 66!

Scored it at the weekend. Made in September of 1973, the Mohawk Brown version and doesn't look like it has done much work. Came with a 2.5X Bushnell Banner with the post reticle. USD80.00 all up! Didn't need it but they are rather unique and what a deal. Saw a Youtube video on how to strip it so got that covered. Anything else I need to know about it? Do they tend to cycle standard velocity ammo?
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Cast Boolits Owner

Rule #16. It does not exist if not documented with pictures.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    I've got a black one. Have for 20 plus years, banging along in the pickup truck and boat for a trapline gun. Probably 150 shots a year and it's still going. Sights went away years ago but she still goes bang and that is all I need of her. Lotsa hard use as you might imagine but they are tough guns. Standards do just fine in mine.
    10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master

still kicking myself for selling mine, got double what I paid for it and money went to finance the recent move but that does not diminish the sting.it was a hard working classic. another 10/22 has taken its place. One thing strip it down every now and then it will rust under the stock.

Boolit Master

I think you stole that...
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Viola. Evidence. I even dragged out my 1977, 1979 and 1983 Remington catalogues for the photo.

Yes Sweetpea, it was a steal. Part of a big trade in lot that some guy turned up with. I think the shop just wanted to move it on. It was in a low rack behind the counter and not visible from the front. As I have 'frequent flyer' status in the store I can get behind the counter.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

80.00 you did very well those seem to be a hot item as of late
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

I'm jealous - The scope is worth what you paid for the rifle.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master
    I was just thinking today that Remington should reintroduce these with stainless metal. That would be as close to weather proof as anything.

They are a neat little light rifle, with iron sights that are useable for my 48 year old eyes. $80.00 is a very good deal, I saw one sell for over $300.00 at a farm auction a couple of weeks ago.

You can download a pdf of the manual from Remington.

Robert

I've seen a couple of these listed for sale up here lately for $425 and $500+ and advertised as "collectables". As I've never owned one (always had a couple of 10/22's instead) I chuckled that they could even be worth close to those kinds of prices because I kinda remember them being hated because they were "plastic guns" and therefore ***. Funny how AR's kinda have the same lineage but aren't considered *** anymore!
    Good score for you Kiwi Jeff!!
    "As democracy is perfected, the office of the Presidency represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." H.L. Mencken Baltimore Evening Sun, 26 July 1920

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the Public with the Public's money". Alexis de Tocqueville 1835

Boolit Master
    I don't have a 66 but I've got an OD green Apache 77. I only paid $78.00 for it brand new about 30 years ago. Was my first rifle purchase after gettin' out of the Corps (USMC). I immediately sent off for 5 new 10 round mags and when I got them I taped two of them together; so now I've got 3 pairs taped together. I can shoot 60 rounds without loading a mag. Best purchase I've ever made and kept the darn thing. I saw one advertised on Hyatt Guns for $399.00, stating they were collector's items now.

Just love that nylon stock. It's so light and shoots great. I put my Remington against my Dad's 10/22 and he has a scope on it. I've only got iron sights. He could put 3 shots in a dime sized circle and I did the exact same thing with my Apache 77 without a scope. My dad taught me how to shoot.

Mine will shoot just about anything I feed it (in LR) though. A great little rifle. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

I'm jealous - The scope is worth what you paid for the rifle.

That was my theory also.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

I remember reading about this record in the Guinness Book of Records back in 1973 (yeah, I'm that old!) http://www.nylonrifles.com/wp/2013/0...mous-nylon-66/

Banned

I have never seen one of those before. Looks pretty neat. How do they shoot?

Just shot it this evening. Only at 25m under lights. Eley standard velocity and Stirling HV shot terribly. Both about 1.5 inches. Winchester Power Point (Oz made) cut a 5 shot group of 3/8.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

I have one in Apache Black. You paid $5.00 more then I did 30+ years ago. Funny that you should post this today, I just pulled mine out of the safe to show a friend past this weekend. Never done anything but clean the bore in mine. Maybe I should look up that video someone mentioned earlier.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

In Remembrance
    I never wanted one of these when they were everywhere and plentiful, but now I am thinking they would be a great canoe and snow machine gun.

Boolit Grand Master
    IIRC after Remington quit making them, someone in South America made them for a few years. I don't recall if it was Rossi or Taurus, or even somebody else. No idea if the quality was even close to what Remington's was or not.

I do remember seeing a few in gunshops in SoCalin the early 1990's, probably marketed by FIE.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Saw a Youtube video on how to strip it so got that covered. Anything else I need to know about it?
    Over the years when I worked in the gun business we had lots of these guns brought in to us in cardboard boxes all in pieces and were asked to reassemble them for the owners. They nearly always were missing the little detent ball and spring from the tang safety as they tend to "jump out" when you take those guns apart. I'd recommend that you use the old gunsmith's trick of putting the gun into a clear plastic bag (like a dry cleaning bag) and put your hands inside with the gun when you first take it apart. That way if any parts "spring out" of place they are captured inside the bag and you don't lose them! It may not be that easy for you to replace missing parts from an old model like that? Just a thought ...
    They are great little guns, lightweight, accurate, and a pleasure to carry in the field. They actually made them in a fairly wide variety of colours and options and there are a few fellows up here in my neck of the woods that were trying to get all of the different variations of them!
    Enjoy!
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Nice score! To find any .22 around here for that price would be amazing, much less a Nylon! I have always loved them for the cool factor, and how revolutionary they were when the came out. My favorite uncle has two, one in the Mohawk brown and one in the green (Senneca??) and they both shoot well.
    My partner in crime Miss K has one that she calls "Nyley" and loves because it is light and handy for shooting gophers. One thing i have learned with hers is that it can be a bit sensitive to pressure on the stock, so there can be a little stringing of shots. Not a big deal as long as you're thinking about it, but enough to notice. I was showing it to a friend the other day and he couldn't believe that it was simply a sheet metal dustcover over the reciever for the scope to clamp onto, and that it didn't really contain any of the working bits.
    Enjoy it in good health friend!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith