Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to "Standard" Pistol Powders

Banned

Just about every powder we shoot in handguns started life as shotgun powders.
    Today they turn out a new powder every time we turn around. Applications have not been fully worked out.
    I fear trying some if there is no load info for what I shoot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pipehand View Post
    Thanks for the research. I have noticed that those two powders are more likely to be in stock when everything else is gone. Because there is no published metallic reloading data, and they are relatively new. A few years ago I mistakenly bought a jug of International Clays, thinking it was Universal Clays. At the time, Hodgdons didn't have any listed pistol data, but I did find a 2006 manual that had loads for it in 38 special, 44Mag, and 45Colt in the Cowboy loading section. Made a bunch of 38's but that still left 3 pounds worth which I am now using in shotgun loads.
    For 45 acp I have almost always used Unique, until son-in-law turned me onto Clays. People are right when they say Universal Clays powder is a little cleaner than Unique and IMO just as accurate, as one loads more rounds per pound, it is also cheaper.

Boolit Master
    I and several other ppl use Solo 1000 for 38, 40, and 45 acp with various weights and velocities..

Ny nominal minor load for 40 S&W out of a 6.5" 610 is 3.7 gr of S1000 with a 185 gr RN seated long to 10 mm length (1.250) and got a nice consistent 145 ish power factor which is right about 780 fps.

For the 160 RN that we just got on order from NOE, my alloy drops at about 158 gr and I use 4.1 gr of Solo 1000 to get it to about 132 power factor or 835 fps.

I know other people use it for major level, they seat it deeper than I do and for a 180 gr Bear creek bullet, use 4.7 gr of Solo 1000 to get about 950 fps give or take. Solo 1000 tends to be reverse temperature sensitive in pistol applications.. The colder it gets, the faster your bullet gets.. with obvious higher pressures..

I have also used it in the 38 spl to move a 158 to minor velocity (about 135 pf) using about the same charge, 4.2 gr, as the 40 with it's 158. This was out of a 6" 586 seated to the usual OAL of a 38 spl.
    Last edited by sargenv; 04-28-2013 at 11:29 PM.

Boolit Man
    Has anyone tried Alliant "Steel" powder in pistol loads? It is right between Blue Dot and 2400 on the burn rate charts.

Quote Originally Posted by akraven View Post
    Has anyone tried Alliant "Steel" powder in pistol loads? It is right between Blue Dot and 2400 on the burn rate charts.
    I haven't tried "Steel" yet, but I did pick up a can of "Pro Reach" because according to the burn rate charts it should've been a little slower burning than Blue Dot. WRONG!!! I loaded up a few in my .357 to compare to Blue Dot and with equal charges it gave WAY higher velocities, as in 200+/- fps higher. I'd say it is closer to Herco than Blue Dot.

Point is, start lower than you think you need to and work up.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    I haven't tried "Steel" yet, but I did pick up a can of "Pro Reach" because according to the burn rate charts it should've been a little slower burning than Blue Dot. WRONG!!! I loaded up a few in my .357 to compare to Blue Dot and with equal charges it gave WAY higher velocities, as in 200+/- fps higher. I'd say it is closer to Herco than Blue Dot.

Point is, start lower than you think you need to and work up.

35W
    I wouldn't automatically assume that weights would be equal given differient powder densities and volumes. I have been searching for a page that gives a directly comparable load for each powder and then use that to get an idea of how they relate. Still searching.

Boolit Master

This is a great thread and if it continues to develop should be a sticky
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by akraven View Post
    No handgun yet but I tried 15 grs of Steel in my 30-30 with 311291. It was faster than I expected and ended up at 1707 fps. I had no GC's on the bullets so it did not shoot well. The biggest drawback I see is very big flakes and poor metering.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Mold
    I've picked up 8 lbs of green dot during this shortage as well and it has worked in a variety of cartridges admirably for me, in addition to Herco being my favorite for light .44 Magnum loads!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have done some testing with Winchester Super Target, aka WST and if your Dillion machine is already set up to measure a safe charge in W231 in .45 ACP, you can simply refill the powder hopper with WST without adjustment, and have a safe load, as WST is slightly more bulky than 231 and you will not get into any trouble, but see slightly lower velocity than with the same volume of 231.

With H&G68 200 SWC max. load is 4.8 grains for 900 fps. in M1911, start load, do not reduce is 4.2-4.3 grains. for 750 fps "wadcutter" load.

Boolit Master

1 aspect that`ll take time & more R&D is the erosive properties of a given powder & load.

I`ve used the burn charts of different powder manufacturers & distributors to use many "off the beaten path"
    powders .

Going about powder replacement methodically, not halfhazardly , especially with the tools we readily have at hand
    is going to help bring some new powders to light !!
    GP100man

Boolit Master

Good info..................
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Hodgdon Titewad is another shotgun powder that works great in certain handgun applications. Its all I use in .32 Auto, this weekend I'm going to try it in a .38 Special snub nose. It burns clean, meters great, and fills the case surprisingly well. I think you could cautiously use Clays or Red Dot data with it no problem.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    The downside to Universal Clays as compared to Unique is that is is more position sensitive and tends toward higher extreme spreads in charges that get equivalent velocity. Given lower per lb. cost for Unique it's also cheaper per round than Universal Clays. It's over 22 dollars more per 8 lb. container than Unique at Powder Valley, as the Hodgdon powders run at something of a premium. Cheaper than Unique? No. Any obviously very slight differences in charge weight are not enough to overcome a larger per pound cost.

Try both with powder near primer, then powder near bullet over the chronograph. You will discover what I have.

I'll stick with Unique, thanks.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    This is a great thread and if it continues to develop should be a sticky
    Yes it should.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Just to expound on the Titewad 38 Applications. I found 2.4 grains to work well with flush-seated 148 grain WC's, H&G 50's. 3.4 shoots very nice groups with the M-P 359-640 148 grainers. Unfortunately, I left the battery in my Chronograph and it leaked and killed it, so I can not state velocities, but the afore mentioned loads are both mild.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Some useful info here.

Boolit Buddy

If you are looking for "shotgun" powders, I found that Ballistic Products seems to always have some in stock when others are out.
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

I too went through a phase of using unique for just about all handgun and shotgun to keep it simple when I was moving a lot. Then I started going more cartridge specific and discovered 700X when it was govt. surplus and used for plinking ammo. Now I have started using unique a bit more. For handguns, I do not use unique for reduced charges as its sooty and doesn't expand the cases well. It still works very well for 45 Colt and 44 special when used close to max.. It works well in reduced 30-30 and 45-70 lead bullets. I was using it in 38 special plus P but will switch to 231 for that.

AL 20/28 in 45 Colt

In my 45 Colt I've been using 8.0 grs. of Unique with a 260 gr. SWC cast from an RCBS 45-255 mould. That charge had netted around 840 fps from my 4 5/8" NM Vaquero. Well, I happened to have some AL 20/28 in the powder measure so I threw 8.0 grs. of it and loaded it under the same bullet in my 45 Colt; 943 fps with the same bullet!! So, it would appear that in larger cases the interchangeability lessens.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast