Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to "Standard" Pistol Powders

Banned

Robert green-dot is PB's arch nemesis.

Boolit Mold
    this is a good info, I have a 4 pound can of 700x that I use for 45acp and 38spl, 44spl but did not work well for me in 9mm. I think we are about thru the powder shortage in the last month iv found h110, IMR4228, hs6, aa9, 2400. I SURE HOPE THIS END SOON.

Quote Originally Posted by betschet50 View Post
    this is a good info, I have a 4 pound can of 700x that I use for 45acp and 38spl, 44spl but did not work well for me in 9mm. I think we are about thru the powder shortage in the last month iv found h110, IMR4228, hs6, aa9, 2400. I SURE HOPE THIS END SOON.
    Try 3.4 gr of 700X under a 124/125 gr lead bullet. Worked well for me and runs 130ish PF through ny M&P Pro (1090 fps avg).

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    I'm resurrecting this old thread to share some information on .44 special handloads using E3. I had bought a pound of E3 back in early 2014 when I first began casting and handloading. It was the only powder on the shelf! I used some of it for .38 special target loads, but have only recently developed a good load that shoots 240 (Saeco 429 RNFP) and 250 (RCBS 44-250 K) grain bullets accurately from my Ruger Blackhawk and Charter Arms Bulldog. I loaded these over 4.5 grains of E3 and found them to be excellent shooters in the guns I mentioned. I don't have a chrony, but based upon 35 Whelen's numbers from page 1, these would be close mimics of the original factory loadings (between 750 and 760 FPS).

I'm going to try some loads at 4.8 grains to see how they work. If they don't, no sweat. The 4.5 grain load will allow me to put the powder to good use.
    Last edited by Thomas Traddles; 10-15-2016 at 06:12 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Traddles View Post
    I'm resurrecting this old thread to share some information on .44 special handloads using E3. I had bought a pound of E3 back in early 2014 when I first began casting and handloading. It was the only powder on the shelf! I used some of it for .38 special target loads, but have only recently developed a good load that shoots 240 (Saeco 429 RNFP) and 250 (RCBS 44-250 K) grain bullets accurately from my Ruger Blackhawk and Charter Arms Bulldog. I loaded these over 4.5 grains of E3 and found them to be excellent shooters in the guns I mentioned. I don't have a chrony, but based upon 35 Whelen's numbers from page 1, these would be close mimics of the original factory loadings (between 750 and 760 FPS).

I'm going to try some loads at 4.8 grains to see how they work. If they don't, no sweat. The 4.5 grain load will allow me to put the powder to good use.
    Hoping I can re resurrect this old thread (again) - cleaning out my dads shed - there is a good quantity of winchester WST powder, plenty of Red dot, Some Italian GM3 black dot, --- maybe someone has used that WST in pistol or light loads for small rifle cases ? the online burn rate charts seem a little confused in the placement of WST - some have it right with red dot, others place it slower - the GM3. (later became nobelsport I think - cant find any load info for that - am thinking its a slower powder like green dot maybe?) any help here would be appreciated .
    Joe

I have wanted to use some "Trail Boss" in some 45LC 44 special and 44 mag, my local reloading supply does not carry it ....yet.
    Also wonder if it would work in some Brass 410 loads I use? been using unique in these 4 cartridges and it burs pretty dirty.
    Ron

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ronniet View Post
    I have wanted to use some "Trail Boss" in some 45LC 44 special and 44 mag, my local reloading supply does not carry it ....yet.
    Also wonder if it would work in some Brass 410 loads I use? been using unique in these 4 cartridges and it burs pretty dirty.
    Ron
    Ahhh well Ron looks like my attempt to ressurect didnt work - we may need sa new thread to get their interest.

Boolit Master

Indian Joe,

WST will work for fast pistol and is quite clean. Good for .45 acp and .38 special. In use it sits between bullseye and win231. Great stuff so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Boyle View Post
    Indian Joe,

WST will work for fast pistol and is quite clean. Good for .45 acp and .38 special. In use it sits between bullseye and win231. Great stuff so far.
    I agree with this^^^. I haven't used it in anything else yet.

Boolit Master
    Titewad shotgun powder is a good one too

We may be back to what this old thread suggest with current shortages. I have a lot of 20/28 from my shotgun days. May use it rather than my specific pistol powders so as to preserve the pistol powders.

Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
    We may be back to what this old thread suggest with current shortages. I have a lot of 20/28 from my shotgun days. May use it rather than my specific pistol powders so as to preserve the pistol powders.
    Yep. When I started this thread over seven years ago 20/28 was my primary subject and it still is. I've tried it in quite a few cartridges as a sub for Unique and while it works all but perfectly grain-for-grain in the .44 Special, is has been hot and miss with the 45 Colt and sometimes gives erratic velocities. Though not grain-for-grain, it works very well in the .38 Special and I'm currently loading 4.6 grains and a 158 gr. SWC for ~900 fps from my 4" S&W's.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

I suspect they(alliant) do not provide handgun data for 20/28 and others due to marketing. They would not sell as many different powders. Versatility would limit overall sales as only a few would do it all for shotgun and pistol

Red Dot, Blue Dot, and Green Dot have all been very popular shotgun powders that have enjoyed use in handguns as well.

However, the ill-fated Polka Dot, introduced in 1952, did poorly, lasting only a year of production. Dealers said: " Well, it didn't exactly dance off the shelves".

It did enjoy limited European popularity however, in Czechoslovakia, Poland, Bohemia, Germany, Elbonia, and Leutonia.

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Cowboy View Post
    Red Dot, Blue Dot, and Green Dot have all been very popular shotgun powders that have enjoyed use in handguns as well.

However, the ill-fated Polka Dot, introduced in 1952, did poorly, lasting only a year of production. Dealers said: " Well, it didn't exactly dance off the shelves".

It did enjoy limited European popularity however, in Czechoslovakia, Poland, Bohemia, Germany, Elbonia, and Leutonia.
    Only a Calgarian.....Go Esks Go
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

I find that Vectan BA 9 is basically a cleaner burning French version of Unique. I call it Le Unique. Grafs sells it.

Boolit Mold
    Try Promo(commercial equivelent to Red Dot) but use the Red Dot load data In weight not volume. I found an eight pounder at 3-7 grs per load, I thinkd I'm set.

Boolit Man
    8.5 grains of 800x was my absolute favorite for 255 gr 45 Colt. Better than any pistol powder I tried. ****ty metering, and unburned granules, though...if you care about that, and I don't.

Boolit Mold
    Resurrecting an old thread again. Anyone have any idea if Accurate TCM powder will work for 9mm Luger 115 or 124 grain? It’s for the 22tcm but also .357 mag, 44 mag but I’m new and want to be absolutely sure that it will work. Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    I think it would be way too slow in burn rate to produce anything close to max velocity.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast