Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: My first new style Lee 2 cav.

In Remembrance

My first new style Lee 2 cav.

Got my first new style Lee 2 cav. mould today. If it casts as good as it looks it's going to be great! Gotta clean it and melt some Galena. Oh, it's a 429-200 RF, also a first for me in 44 cal.

Boolit Buddy
    I have got a couple of the "new LEE molds" and they work very good. They line up very well and drop boolits out without any problems.
    Clean it up, I use comet and a toothbrush, rinse, heat it up on the hotplate a couple of times and start casting. Some need to be touched up around the cavities, they have small burrs.

Good Luck with your new mold!

Boolit Master

I have several of the new style molds. They are the only molds I have with which I can drop the bullets out with one hand consistently. Rarely do I have to even tap the handle bolt to get a bullet to drop.

In Remembrance

This one is going to take a little work. It drops at .430-1 X .427-8 and seems to have a sudden hole at the parting line in the middle of the bands. I considered sending it to Lee, but it will cost me a third of the mold price to send it. I can fix it in an hour myself. I need to find a .430 RCBS/Lyman size die. The only thing I have right now is an old Lee whack e'm through .429, it works but I'll have to pan lube and I think I'm going to want to size them .430. Won't know until the gun gets here, Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag. 10.5 barrel. I have a .427 Lyman die that I could open up but would probably need a new push rod if I open it .003.

Boolit Grand Master

dctex, Lee will reimburse shipping if you tell them the amount.

Boolit Master

I just got that same mold in the mail today, gonna try it for my Rem 14 1/2 pump in 44WCF. It looks pretty good, I plan to give it a go first of the week.

I am impressed by the new design now if I could just get my other one of my back order status.
    Change? Not this type. Can we just have a refund?

Boolit Master
    I wish I could say mine works. Just tried out my new C312-155-2R and found the pins were loose causing alignment problems. Got an email off to Lee. Hope they fix me up.

Boolit Master
    Had one for a month.It is for 380 102 g.Improved design.Bargain! .I will only buy the new design.

Can someone post a pic of the new style Lee mold, I'd love to see it.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Can someone post a pic of the new style Lee mold, I'd love to see it.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...9&d=1361818820

One other thing I like about the new styles is the mold number is engraved into the top of it. So if you have it out and say with a few others its easy to remember which is which.
    Change? Not this type. Can we just have a refund?

Wow, I really like the looks of the new style. Seems like it'll line up a lot better then the old ones did. How long before they're all converted over to the new style? I'd love to get a .365", 95gr for my 9x18mm in this style.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Boolit Grand Master
    How long before they're all converted over to the new style?

A representative from Lee told me that it might be early summer before they shipped nothing but the new style molds.

Ben

I just got a 515-500 from Midway and it is the new style, Looks like a nice mold and I plan on casting the weekend.

Moderator Emeritus

I received two Lee 2-cav molds with the new style blocks.
    They look excellent, but they had alot more machining oil and loose chips on them, like they were just taken off the CNC. My close visual inspection indicates the alignment of the cavities looks excellent, someone posted a photo of a bad case of alignment, so that was one of the first things I looked at "right out of the box". The machining in the cavities looks like a mirror. I'll try to cast with these later today.

C312-185-1R
    C452-300-RF (I'd like to ream the 452 to a plain base.)

to those wondering where Lee is at with converting all their 2-cav molds to the new style. I suspect with the buying frenzy and looking at what's "in stock" and what's not, that pretty much everything in the old style is sold out, at the large distributors. I have a C501-440-RF coming from fsreloading, I am hopefull it's the new style as well...we shall see in about 3 days.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

In Remembrance

I spent about a half hour on the new mould today and am happy now. I think the "hole" I was finding on the boolits was mostly caused by gassing of the oils. The cutting oils is a real pain to get out of a new Lee mould. I spun a few boolits in the cavities with fine valve grinding compound on it and the mould is now dropping .433X.431 in both cavities. I also spun an abrasive cloth in a split dowel in the old Lee whack 'em through sizer and opened it to a nice round .430. I cast 50 boolits, sized them and they are beautifully round .430 boolits. Now to get the gun in and see how they fit. I will pan lube them tomorrow with Ben's Red and cut them out with the Lee cake cutter I have had for years with no 44 cal mould or guns to use it for. The old sizer has enough freebore in it to let me drop two boolits at a time in it and tap them through together, with just enough space under to let them both stack up. Makes the sizing go faster.

Banned

I didn't even know they were making new style molds. Glad to see Lee keeps trying to improve their products.