Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slugging barrels/ New questions believe me

Just make sure the rod is considerably large than the hole in the sinker otherwise it can try drive itself through the hole wedging the sinker and rod in the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim..47 View Post
    Since we know J-bullets go through it Ok and we are able to measure them, what more are we too gain by slugging?
    If you can recover one totally unchanged (except for rifling engraving) it might be useful. But how do you know it completely sealed the bore? Even slightly undersized jacketed bullets will take the rifling and perform well. For me, it
    s just simpler to drive a soft lead slug through the tube.

Banned

you need oil and lots of it. and use something other than alum rod or at least wrap it in some plastic tape or something to protect your barrel.

Boolit Buddy

You guys are sure willing to help a guy.

Ok, I've read through all the replies. But Dusty sent me a couple PMs as he had figured out what I did wrong. First I didn't clean the barrel and 2nd I didn't lube the bullet or barrel.This along with all the other tricks you guys gave me should make this a lot easier.

I just hope I can find a couple of the soft slugs I cast for slugging. And I really like the idea of shooting a low charge bullet through into rags. This particularly appeals to me cause I don't have to worry about damaging the barrel by hammer, dirt or anything else.
    Thanks also for explaining why its important to slug a barrel. In fact I will be slugging 2 barrels for this gun and when I get time for my others as well. One the Glock .40 barrel and the Storm Lake .40 barrel so I can shoot cast B's, which is about all I ever use in a pistol.

I read through all the replies, now I'll try to answer what I didn't answer with the above.
    Its for a Glock 22 in Gen 4, .40 S&W. I really like this gun and hope I can learn the trigger.
    I have past experience with using too small of a hammer, but I appreciate the warning. I used to be a heavy diesel truck mech.

An answer to
    ffries61 to this> Just curious how aluminium could damage the barrel or chamber, and brass would be ok ?? aluminium is much softer than brass.
    The reason is that aluminum oxidizes and that oxidation is what many grinding wheels are made of.

Thanks also to EDUBYA for the link to RotoMetals soft slugging material.
    and to gareth96 for the idea of drilling a hole in the boolit.
    and to Sensai for the idea of using egg sinkers.
    and to MTgun44 for the idea of using a brass rod inside a smaller shell casing. I might try that.
    and to the other men who had similar ideas.

I'll let you guys know how this works out, might be next week, busy now with spring chores.

Boolit Buddy

My first attempt at slugging a barrel, I forgot the important step of lubing the slug first. This was magnified by the fact that I was slugging a rifle barrel. Long way to go without lube, but I did get it done. Needless to say, the second barrel I slugged went much easier since I used some lube.

Boolit Master
    I have slugged many a barrel for my self and others. WD-40 is the only thing I have used as lube for slugging even though it is not a lube. I spray it down the muzzle end and then tap an over sized pure lead muzzle loading ball down the muzzle end I use an aluminum cleaning rod with a proper size cleaning jag to push it through the barrel ( you don't need a hole in the slug to do slugging). I position the chamber area over a towel to catch the slug. If you have a barrel with an uneven amount of lands and groves you can't use a standard micrometer to measure it. Most US made fire arms have an even number of lands and groves. For a 30 cal barrel I use a 36 cal round ball that will give about a 1/4" of area to measure.
    Last edited by 45-70 Chevroner; 04-12-2013 at 02:02 PM.

By feed problems do you mean it won't go full into battery? Usually it's too long OAL, lead shavings that stick to the mouth of the case or you didn't taper crimp enough to remove the bell. Stovepipes are usually a bad load, start in the middle of the chart. I slugged 1 of my 40s then forgot about it. Size it .401 and forget. It's a SA, just look at the targets. Make sure the bases are good, lube is good and then work on alloy.

Boolit Buddy

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    By feed problems do you mean it won't go full into battery? Usually it's too long OAL, lead shavings that stick to the mouth of the case or you didn't taper crimp enough to remove the bell. Stovepipes are usually a bad load, start in the middle of the chart. I slugged 1 of my 40s then forgot about it. Size it .401 and forget. It's a SA, just look at the targets. Make sure the bases are good, lube is good and then work on alloy.
    Yes, Yer right popper. After I shortened the OAl it flew threw the gun as it should. Stove pipes before. Thought I mentioned that back aways?

Ok I sucessfully slugged it today. I cheated! I used a full hard cast bullet unsized and lubed and seated it in a casing ahead of .1 Gn Bullseye. I shot it into a coffee can filled with sawdust with a shop cloth foled over twice on top so I didn't get a saw dust shower.

The unfired unsized bullet measures .404, the fired bullet measures .400 and the lands grooves measure .391

Worked great and much easier and less danger of barrel damage then driving one through. (my hands are half crippled) so this is the way for me.

Boolit Buddy
    I forgot to ask, are my bullet measurements results acceptable, poor or average??

I'm asking because I hope to sight this gun in soon and shoot a few mags off the bench to see how accurate it is. What size shot group would be in good or great? and at what distance do I need to shoot it at?
    Thanks guys, you've all been a big help.
    Last edited by Jim..47; 04-13-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: punctuation

This is the best tutorial I have seen around slugging a barrel with a great picture about grooves, lands and bore:
    http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm

Lube is essential, I use automotive grease. Wooden dowels did not work for me. I use a steel cleaning rod with tape around it at intervals to centre it in the bore.
    ars longa, vita brevis

I take a fired piece of brass of the caliber I want to slug & fill it with split shot that I made with pure lead. Heat the brass with a torch to melt it(add more split shot as necessary). Let cool & use a kinetic bullet puller to remove the slug. Measure the slug & adjust it's diameter by tapping the end of it with hammer on a hard surface. This produces a tapered cylinder shaped slug that is very easy to get started. I lube the slug & barrel with Mobil-1. Drive it though the barrel with a brass rod.

Boolit Master
    I use the slugs from Lead Bullet Technologies. Fits on the end of a cleaning rod. Easy to use and you can feel any tight spots like under a dovetail. I quit using the drive it through with a hammer method after finding these slugs. I always was afraid I might damage something.

In Remembrance

After reading all the comments on slugging, that have a goodly amount of the ways I do a barrel except one. I, when possible, use a larger than normal (by far) round ball for muzzle loaders. I start with a ball on a piece of plywood and with a plastic bench hammer proceed to tap the ball into a more or less tapered cylinder. Now I start the tapered end into the lubed muzzle and drive the cylinder down into the barrel. The ball being still way over size will shave off lead as it is driven down the barrel at the muzzle. I use a G.I. .30 cal. sectioned rod with tape covering it and a .25 acp case that I`ve filed down to assure it is under bore diameter on the rod tip assuring a flat driving surface. For slugging my .416`s I just drove a .54 round ball down the bore.Robert

Your numbers look right, size to 401 shoot and enjoy. With hard cast you probably need to load to the upper end for better accuracy. Pull some dummy rounds and make sure the case is not reducing dia.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Your numbers look right, size to 401 shoot and enjoy. With hard cast you probably need to load to the upper end for better accuracy. Pull some dummy rounds and make sure the case is not reducing dia.
    I'm sure glad you said not to reduce my charge. I wondered about that as most recipes advise to cut back about 4-7 10th of a grain or more.

Are you talking about the bullet dia.? or what?

Boolit Bub
    He is referring to bullet swaging. If you don't open the case (not just the mouth) enough the case can actually squeeze the bullet down to under size. This will give you fits. I know because I did it with my 9 mm.

Don

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxcatcher View Post
    He is referring to bullet swaging. If you don't open the case (not just the mouth) enough the case can actually squeeze the bullet down to under size. This will give you fits. I know because I did it with my 9 mm.

Don
    I guess I wasn't aware of it either, but! I know I have had it happen. So you are opening it up by running by opening it up you are running the expander button deeper? Usually if I try that then the bullet slides down beyond the OAL I need.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12