Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22 CBs for short range pest problem

Moderator Emeritus

22 CBs for short range pest problem

I need to dispose of a groundhog that has taken up residence under my deck. Problem is I live within city limits and they frown on shooting things within the city so my first choice (.222) is out due to noise. Will a 22 CB (CCI 22 long) be enough at 15-20 meters to take care of this pest or should I go the trap it route?

well a good head shot might work but i think the havaheart box trap may work better HPS

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Hollow point a CB long and pop him in the side of the head. Out of a long barreled 22rf, they make very little noise.

Boolit Master

Very quiet and effective! I have shot a bunch of squirrels with the short as well as the CB. The short has quite a drop at a long distance out of a gun sighted for 22LR.

Banned
    Should do the job. I use my daughters Henry youth .22lr for the coons and they drop on the spot. I use hp boolits. Happy hunting

Boolit Grand Master
    I've never had much use for the CB caps until moving to this new place with its herd of ground squirrels. If you use "deer-hunting" rules of engagement--head shots or heart/lung hits, the caps will do the job on dirt rats from rifle barrels, but had one bounce off the head of a target a few days back when used in the Ruger semi-auto pistol. Very quiet from a rifle, a little noisy and not real effective from a shortgun. The Rem 581 is getting some good work done this summer, I'm almost through my second box of 50 rounds. Batting average is about .400 or thereabouts.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Just make sure you sight the gun in with them, wait for the right angle and aim for the brain. There are a few places in the head you can hit them with a 22 and not kill them.
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Master

Take a look at Colibri ammo. It's more or less a .22LR round with a 20 gr pointed bullet. They use a primer charge with no powder are VERY quiet. Advertised MV is 500fps.

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    I also like the Colibri. I shoot a LOT of it in my 20' basement "range", and have whacked a squirrel with one at about 15 yds (eyeball shot).

OTOH, beyond about 50 ft or so it's not particularly effective.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Master
    Super Colibri 20 grain powderless- Ditto-Ditto works great for pests, easier to load than CB caps, just make sure you sight in for short range use- point of impact is diffferent than .22lr.

Al,

I'll bring you 100 rnds to test drive.

Jon

Super Colibri/Colibri - Yes Yes Yes.

Much more quite than my .22 cal CO2 pellet rifle (much more quite).

They will feed through the tube in a Winny 9422, to boot.

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    I use the Colibris in my 96/22 (10/22 magazine) and my 1943 Rem 513T.

WARNING - in a Tight Target Rifle with a barrel of over 24" a Colibri CAN AND OCCASIONALLY WILL STOP IN THE BORE.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure you KNOW the bullet has left the bore/impacted the target.

Never out of my Ruger, but I've I have had to rod a couple out of my 513T. (easy to do - bad if you follow a colibri with a full power load)
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Grand Master
    Cool deal, Jon K--where do you find them critters around here?
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Al,

I believe I saw some @Turner's or big 5. I got the brick I have from the sales rep around a year ago at a match. Freebee.

Jon

Banned
    +1 on Colibris.

When I was confined to living in town, that was my round of choice for vermin in the backyard, as well as plinking in the basement,

A fine round for a .22.

Of course here on the farm, whistlepigs call for a 30 caliber LOL.

SSB

I don't think I've ever seen a groundhog in the flesh. My kid killed a full grown pit bull with a CB cap at about 20 yards. Don't underestimate them.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ghugly View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a groundhog in the flesh. My kid killed a full grown pit bull with a CB cap at about 20 yards. Don't underestimate them.
    Mr. Vick I presume?

Boolit Master

I've shot a bunch of colibri's from my buckmark and my marlin rifle. They seem accurate enough for the first few shots, but they tend to foul quite a bit in my guns. I like CB's better. My favorite pest load is a 454 roundball over just a pinch of Bullseye, fired from my win94 45LC. Sounds like a pellet gun, hits like a dump truck.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master
    Colbri are not suitable for a wood chuck/ground hog. This is not a prairie dog or squirrel. A small one locally goes well over 10 pounds.

A CB long in the right spot may be a 50% shot, . 29 grain bullet at 600 FPS or so depending on the gun. Plenty quiet.

A regular Colbri might be a 2% shot(through the eye or ear at the right angle into the brain. 20 grain bullet at 400 FPS or less.

If you just want to wound it and let it die of infection, go for it. I am sure it will smell really nice right up next to your house.

Quote Originally Posted by wiljen View Post
    Mr. Vick I presume?
    No. Actually the dog in question was in the process of gutting his 4-H sheep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast