RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lee loader caliber?

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!

lee loader caliber?

I have a whole collection of dandy old reloading gear...my pride and joy. My stepson has a Savage 99 chambered for .300 Savage, but only wants to reload an occasional box of ammo, so my question: I know the little Lee Loader used to come in many calibers, but did they ever make one in .300 Savage? I can't seem to find a list of what was available years ago. Been watching Epay but no luck. Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes. Way back when I started handloading, my brother-in-law had a Savage 99 in .300 Savage and he had a Lee Loader for it.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master

lee loader caliber

Many thanks! Now that I know they made one, I'll start "the hunt". I'd really like to get this young man involved in what could be a life long hobby!

Boolit Master

One of the inexpensive lee presses and a set of std. lee dies would also be a low cost option over the slow leeloader unit.

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    3006guns:

You might also check with Randy Davis at "The 310 Shop" in Tombstone, AZ; he may be able to fix you up with a Lyman 310 "tong" tool set up for the .300. It'll be a bit more pricey, but is capable of making excellent reloads if F/L sizing is not needed (if it is, on occasion, he should also have the Lyman/Ideal sizing die you use with a mallet and a block of wood or a bench vise). These tools go back well over 100 years, but are still practical - and fun - to use.

floodgate

Boolit Buddy
    I know that some on here don't like Ebay because of their recent changes, but here is one that I found looking on there tonight.

http://cgi.ebay.com/300-SAV-LEE-LOAD...QQcmdZViewItem

-Amos

Boolit Master

All good options...the only reason I thought of the Lee Loader was the simplicity and how it teaches each operation to the beginner. As far as the 310 tool...any of those go in MY collection! Lol. Funny I didn't see the Ebay listing...but it never occured to me to look in the "collectibles, locks" section. Thanks again guys for all the help!

Boolit Master
    In my experience, Neck sized ammo for the 300 savage in a 99 is asking for trouble. Straight walled case, small extractor; if you fired the round after you chamber it all is usually fine, but if you don't it usually won't come back out.

Boolit Master

You might have a point...never loaded for this cartridge before. I also just discovered that Midway has the Lee Loader in .300 Savage for only 18.95. After all this, the little hand press and standard dies might be the way to go.

Boolit Buddy

In regard to that old Lee Hand Loader, I have often heard that you haven't really "hand-loaded" until you've popped a few primers in one of these little sweethearts!

Although I started on a 310, I'm sure my own "very first Lee anything" was a loader in 30-30. And that was back in the day when you actually labored under the thought of "improved" accuracy and economy.

Personally, I think there is still no better way to get a young fellow off on the right foot with reloading. As 3006guns so aptly pointed out, it is extremely simply and teaches each step.

Good choice, IMHO.

Russ...
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

What RussB said. Start the boy on a Lee Loader.

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    You might have a point...never loaded for this cartridge before. I also just discovered that Midway has the Lee Loader in .300 Savage for only 18.95. After all this, the little hand press and standard dies might be the way to go.
    Lee Loader First. Hand Press later.

You should have a Lee Loader for every caliber you have or may have.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ironsights View Post
    You should have a Lee Loader for every caliber you have or may have.
    I agree. One reason is Lee will soon stop making them. That came from John Lee himself.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    I agree. One reason is Lee will soon stop making them. That came from John Lee himself.

Whats up with that guy, is he nuts. Those dies have got more people into reloading and buying his other products. Seems like an unwise business decision to me.

Boolit Master

Simply, the Patent(s) are about to expire and he expects ChinaCo to start fabbing them as soon as they can (as soon as they recognize the market).

Unfortunately, they are so simple that it would be hard for even China to make bad ones.
    Last edited by Old Ironsights; 08-29-2007 at 12:16 PM.
    1.618034 Fnord

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    Whats up with that guy, is he nuts. Those dies have got more people into reloading and buying his other products. Seems like an unwise business decision to me.
    I think there is a lot of wisdom in the statement that those dies have probably "gotten more people started" than any thing else!

I know that both my sons still have their "first" handloaders!
    In fact, that is about all the oldest boy has ever used as far as I know, and he is now in his mid forties.
    He has one rifle, a semi-custom 03 I had built back in the late 1950's, one loader, one simple scale, an old RCBS powder dribbler, one stupid looking funnel, and a box of Lee Dippers, is about all he owns.
    Now this may sound boring for most folks, but he has managed quite well for 30 (+/-) years now, and actually doesn't seem to want anything else.

He is a hunter more so than a shooter, and he still manages to get off a couple of hundred or so rounds a year...which is far beyond what the "average" hunter might do.

Russ...
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

Boolit Master

I have a Lee Loader in .30-30 and .45-70. I probably won't get a 30-30 until my Uncle hands down his Savage 170 and it will be a bit before I get another .45-70.

But I will get them someday, so I've got the Loaders.
    1.618034 Fnord

Boolit Master

Wow! Since I started this whole thing I've discovered that you can still buy a brand new Lee Loader in 300 Savage....so that's what I'll do. I'll give him a box of primers, bullets and powder along with some coaching. If he shows interest and aptitude I have a nice old iron press that should hold him for a year or two. If nothing else, I'll have someone to leave my 45 years of "stuff" to!

By the way, the concern of not chambering would apply only if more than one rifle were involved...not the case here, so I think neck resizing should do just fine. Again thanks to everyone for the help and advice!

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    ...And I just plucked an as-new-in-box-with one (instruction sheet) in .45-70 off evilBay! (Yeah, I know - but isn't it FUN to subvert their PC stance?) At the price I got it ($16.45, a rare bargain from this source), it sure didn't make them much money, anyway.

floodgate

Boolit Master

Sorry to tell you that NEW .45-70 LLs are going for 14.99 at Cabelas.com, but hey, the one I just gave away was a 1960s model ($8.99 retail) and I bought it for $30 so who am I to talk...
    1.618034 Fnord

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast