RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dangers Of Using Brake Cleaner

Boolit Mold

Dangers Of Using Brake Cleaner

I thought this article about brake cleaner and Phosgene gas might be pertinent to the casting community:

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

Boolit Buddy

Looks like there is no danger unless you expose it to extremely high temp or Argon gas though. I think I'll keep cleaning my AR with it.
    Will Fly For Boolits

Banned

Sobering. I clean parts with starter fluid/ether. Rotors get "safe" - "non-chlorinated" - brake cleaner and that is it. Otherwise no use for brake cleaner.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    Sobering. I clean parts with starter fluid/ether. Rotors get "safe" - "non-chlorinated" - brake cleaner and that is it. Otherwise no use for brake cleaner.
    i use the same stuff, works great and makes for fun when lit on fire

i don't know if it was phosgene gas or something like it, but i was brazing a copper line going to a compressor on a roof top unit and had a small cloud of smoke come at me. i had to remove the condenser fan to get at the copper line so i was leaning into the unit. my nose burnt alot and i was coughing a bit, but it went away 15 minutes later and nothing came after.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Westwindmike View Post
    Looks like there is no danger unless you expose it to extremely high temp or Argon gas though.
    How would the presence of argon influence this ?
    Tetrachloroethylene plus heat I understand, but argon is chemically inert !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

I won't have the stuff in my shop.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    My cousin who was a mechanic at a Dodge dealership, came down with cancer. The most probable cause was determined to be the brake cleaner. Granted, he had much exposure daily, in an enclosed area. I would only use it in a well ventilated area, wearing latex gloves.

I use brake clean for many things. If it's metal and I want it cleaned, degreased, or whatever that's what I use. I'm more careful with it than I used to be when I worked for Ford, still wouldn't be without it.

Boolit Buddy
    Try some Oileater.
    Works great and pretty safe to use.

http://www.oileater.com/

Most auto parts stores carry it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Westwindmike View Post
    Looks like there is no danger unless you expose it to extremely high temp or Argon gas though. I think I'll keep cleaning my AR with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GLL View Post
    How would the presence of argon influence this ?
    Tetrachloroethylene plus heat I understand, but argon is chemically inert !

Jerry
    The argon prevents the carbon from oxidizing away; lose the carbon, you get hydrogen chloride (which is bad enough; it forms hydrochloric acid when it contacts the water in your nasal linings, bronchi, and alveoli), but if you keep the carbon and rearrange the atoms you get phosgene, which was the first synthetic neurotoxin and the deadliest of the WWI war gases. The author of the linked article probably got mostly HCl, but the seizures and kidney damage indicate he did receive a sublethal dose of phosgene as well.

BTW, the other relatively common source of phosgene exposure in modern days is chlorinated refrigerants (the old R-12 and its close cousins) exposed to a reducing flame; this can happen when trying to braze up a leaking joint without fully evacuating the system first.

As for latex gloves, they won't stand up to chlorinate brake cleaner for ten seconds, they just fall apart. Nitrile does a better job, if there's ever a situation where you have access to that type but no choice to avoid chlorinated brake cleaner...

For years I have restored old farm engines (hit and miss type...big flywheels, etc)...they are always rusty and busted and greasy...some of our guys have used brake cleaner on parts and then hit it with a torch to weld or braze....no one I know has died from it but it's one of those little snakes just waiting to bite...the OP's article is one I may have posted on another forum or just coincidence as those of us that are aware of it often use that article as a "warning" to younger folks in the "restoring" hobby...it's deadly...one little whiff can make for a very bad day.

I know Brew from another board and his plight prompted me to post of this some time back .He is still kicking , a bit limp , but still kicking . Circling the upper orbits of that field as well , I know one old engine guy that used R12 down the snout of a Maytag twin to kill gophers (beloved brother and friend , "Maytagtwin" Ron C.). But he was a science and shop teacher that knew better than get down wind . He did nearly blow his hand off with a tin of black powder blasting harvester ants as a child , but that was LONG ago . Seems that BP smolders for a bit .

phosgene gas or something like it, but i was brazing a copper line going to a compressor on a roof top unit and had a small cloud of smoke come at me.
    If it was in the pre-puron days , then that is exactly what you created . See R12 rodent removal above .

Boolit Grand Master

Puron just like Freon is a brand name. It's not how to identify or talk about a refrigerant. This is one of my pet peeves. Even if it was R22 or R410A it's nasty to breathe and takes your breath away. R22 sure does taste like mustard. I'd like to shoot the engineers that designed the refrigerant piping in the units. There is almost always a low spot where oil lays. And of course there is always a braze joint there.

As far as gloves and brake cleaner. If they aren't solvent resistant they are almost worthless. Nitrile gloves will practically melt off your hands if directly exposed to solvents.

Boolit Master
    Don't get non-chlorinated brake cleaner on your skin. It causes some kind of chemical burn pretty quickly. It will also flash-rust iron which isn't a problem for brake rotors but might be for other things. Imo, regular chlorinated brake cleaner is by far the better safer product.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Nitrile gloves will practically melt off your hands if directly exposed to solvents.
    Strongly dependent on the solvent. Latex will go to pieces in nothing flat when exposed to parts washer solvent, cleaner/degreaser products based on hexane/heptane, and virtually anything else you might use in a repair shop and call a solvent. Nitrile will stand up to those solvents for at least an hour or two (I wear nitrile every day at work, and routinely have my gloved hands in lubricating oil, parts washer, and a hexane based cleaner/degreaser). It won't stand up to chlorinated brake cleaner that long, but it'll still last longer than latex (says my experience).

There are other glove materials that will stand up to virtually any non-polar solvent short of ether, xylene, or toluene (the latter two components of lacquer thinner), and a heavy glove made of the right material will take an hour or so of exposure to even the last mentioned -- but those gloves aren't cheap enough to make it easy to throw them away after a single use the way nitrile is (about a nickle a glove is what we pay at work).

Boolit Buddy
    Imo, regular chlorinated brake cleaner is by far the better safer product.
    you are wrong
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity.”
    - Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I gave Brake Cleaner the boot out the door .. any formulation. Looked up the MSDS and then went through the chemicals on Wikipedia. Convinced me I could live a few more years not using it
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Puron just like Freon is a brand name. It's not how to identify or talk about a refrigerant. This is one of my pet peeves. Even if it was R22 or R410A it's nasty to breathe and takes your breath away. R22 sure does taste like mustard. I'd like to shoot the engineers that designed the refrigerant piping in the units. There is almost always a low spot where oil lays. And of course there is always a braze joint there.

As far as gloves and brake cleaner. If they aren't solvent resistant they are almost worthless. Nitrile gloves will practically melt off your hands if directly exposed to solvents.

Phosgene gas is a byproduct of burning some refrigerants. The reason it burns and tastes like mustard is, back in WW1 it was called Mustard Gas!!
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

All i can contribute is: dont get a big blast straight into your eye!

My first attempt cleaning a mold cavity, i suddenly forgot physics and failed to realize that shooting high-pressure liquid at the edge of a half-circle facing me would direct the liquid back at me. Also neglected eyewear as it "interferes with my vision". Yeah ill see how long that is true after i keep allowing poison to be in contact with my retina.

Story short it BURNED! I yelled and waved the lady to my side to read the medical precautions on the can, cause i sure as hell couldnt! Also the fact that i did NOT read any precautions prior to my use of the product tells you how brazen yet lucky and stupid i can be. I have a history of eye-pain inducing problems, notably Thygesons, which resulted in even more painful eyedrop medications.

The brake cleaner kicked their butts in the pain department. I was legitimately afraid i had f***** up my vision permanently.

End of story is that i continuousy flushed my eyes, and about 10 min later i had vision, about 30 in later i was back to normal. No big whoop. Auto mechanics probably already knew this. Still, watch your eyes!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gliden07 View Post
    Phosgene gas is a byproduct of burning some refrigerants. The reason it burns and tastes like mustard is, back in WW1 it was called Mustard Gas!!
    Uh-Uh...Phosgene and Mustard Gas are two completely different compounds with different symptomologies. Phosgene was actually a gas and had to be inhaled, contaminating via the bloodstream. Mustard Gas was an aerosol...really deadly if actually inhaled as it destroyed lung tissues, essentially, upon contact...but was just as nasty when it came contact with bare skin, causing blistering similar to second-degree burns.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"