Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Load data for lyman 35893?

Boolit Master

Load data for lyman 35893?

I got this mold in a trade and after casting up a hundred or so im ready to size and load. I have the 3rd and 4th lyman cast boolit handbook and no loads for this mold are in either. I am loading for 357 and most likely using clays or unique because I have plenty. Any thoughts on load data would be great as well as how this boolit has done for others.

Boolit Bub
    A quick look through CBH and HBC don't show any data specific to the #358093, there might be some in the older manuals but I'm not really motivated to crack them open. I looked in the manuals #40 and up and didnt see anything. I've always used data for a similar weight (125 gr.) bullet and had good results. Data for something like the #358242 or #358480 should work fine and probably be a little on the conservative side.

Boolit Master
    The biggest thing about the 358093 and the 429303 is that they require the correct nose punch for sizing and the seating stem for your bullet seating die.

Boolit Mold
    I have a 35793 mould, I can size it 356 for 9mm or 358 for 357 mag, load data is in lyman 48 edition load manual download available online. I also have a few 429303 moulds that work very well

Boolit Master
    Anyone casting these two have any secrets, tips, or pointers on how to get these two bullets to drop from the mold just a little easier? Both are horrible.

Boolit Master

Another good reason to have a star sizer. Nose first sizing does not require any specialized nose punch for the many nose profiles one might own. Nose first - a flat punch against the base pushes whatever you have right on through
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Mold
    I have cast both the 38 and 44 caliber versions of this bullet. I have found that letting the mold cool a few minutes before trying to remove the bullets helps them release better. I size with lee sizers so I don't need nose punches but I was having problems seating the bullets without damage to the nose. Someone recommended using the seating die and hot glue to form a cast of the nose to set between the plug and the bullet to protect the nose. Hope this helps.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    Anyone casting these two have any secrets, tips, or pointers on how to get these two bullets to drop from the mold just a little easier? Both are horrible.
    I give the handle hinge a tap before opening the mold. I discovered this by accident with my 429303 when I got out of sequence with my pour-wait-open sprue plate-open handles-tap hinge procedure and tapped the hinge before opening. The bullet fell right out when the mold was opened. Until then, I hated casting with the thing. Now with the "pre-tap" it's no worse than using any other mold. Works on the 36893 or 429303.