Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gas check on any lead bullet ??

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shacklord View Post
    Would these work in a Lee sizer?
    Yes they do.
    Charter Member #148

I couldn't get the attachments to work, but I am wanting to put gas checks on 45 and 50 cal plain base bullets for use in an AR. I can find moulds and as cast bullet suppliers for .452 and .501 bullets, but all are plain based. I want to use these in a 450 Bushmaster & 50 Beowulf and need them gas checked to keep the gas system clean.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Mike, if your reloads are under 1600 FPS, which I presume they all are ... a gas check is not needed. If you want an an extreme extracurricular reloading exercise, put a cardboard wad under the bullet base
    Regards
    John

I have two dies from PAT marlins. Both are for .357 caliber. One for bullets designed for plain based bullets and the other for bullets designed for GC's/ Both work great. I have used them in a 9MM gun with polygonal rifling oe Walther PPQ Match and for my .357. The PB checks allow me to push and use bullets that were not designed for GC's. I have an order in for a die for the 40/10MM bullet. I get leading in the rifling just ahead of the forcing cone using 190 grain lead bullets uin my Ruger GP-100. I am having the forcing cone cut to 11 degrees tomorrow. That and the GC's should eliminate the leading. I sent my order in mid December and expect Pat to get it out to me sometime this month. I have nothing to say but good things about Pat. I get he has been busy with orders from the Christmas period. I can wait for a quality product.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

I have a Pat marlin .30, 35 and .44 PB check maker. I pop can everything I load and don't worry about leading or hardness. Once seated on the base of a PB bullet you can hardly pull them off. A great invention for 9mm shooters with all the variances in chambers and diameters. Just GC and don't worry about it. Just finished 2 pill bottle of .35PB checks tonight. Loading a bunch of .38 Special tomorrow./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I don't know of any pistols, aside from the Contender types, that shoot over 1700 fps. That is kinda the general cut off for needing GC's.
    The GC;s seem to have eliminated leading in my Walther PPQ with true polygonal riffling. The GC's are also useful when loading .357Mag to the max. using lead bullets.

The PV GS's work well pn plain base bullets. The USPS is crawling north with my .401 GC dies for my 10MM, It should be here next week and I plan on producing a couple hundred GC;s for my 180 gr bullets in my 10MM revolver. I am going out tomorrow to fire off 100 rounds of the 180 gr bullets without the benfit of GX;s in my GP-100. The forcing cone has been cut to 11 degrees. I want to see if that alone eliminates the leading I was getting in the girts 1/4" of rifling. If it doesn't and if future testing using GC bullets does I'll know the GC's have eliminating a head ache for me.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Does anyone have a picture of a PB gas checked boolit they could post?

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Does anyone have a picture of a PB gas checked boolit they could post?
    Why?

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Why?

Take Care

Bob
    Because I’d like to see what it looks like. Is the GC different from a normal one. I am imagining a GC with very short sides, just enough to grip on. Maybe they are the same as regular GCs. If so why do we need boolits with reduced diameters at the base. In my mind they must be different, that’s why I asked to see a picture of one.

Boolit Grand Master

I found a picture on Google. They don’t look as different as I thought they might. The sides seem to be pleated. I’ve not seen that in regular GCs or maybe that’s something associated with using aluminum. So where does the extra lead go when they are sized? Into the boolit along the sides? That would make sense if sizing base first, but how about when sizing nose first?

https://patmarlins.com/wp-content/up...4/allsized.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I found a picture on Google. They don’t look as different as I thought they might. The sides seem to be pleated. I’ve not seen that in regular GCs or maybe that’s something associated with using aluminum. So where does the extra lead go when they are sized? Into the boolit along the sides? That would make sense if sizing base first, but how about when sizing nose first?

https://patmarlins.com/wp-content/up...4/allsized.jpg

I apply the plain base (PB) gas checks (GC) using my .357 RCBS sizing diefor the 9MM. The die squeezes the GC onto the bullet base. The diameter of the bullet is the same as it was prior to applying the GC. The GC maker for PB bullets produces GC's slightly larger in diameter than the GC maker for bullets designed for GC's. The amount of metal along the side of the bullet is the same for PB bullets as it is for bullets designed for GC's.

I size all my bullets used in my 38spl/,357mag .358 and use the .358 RCBS sizing die to apply GC's on the PB bullets I want to apply a GC on. I use GC's on most of my ,357mag loads.

If you still nee a picture of a bullet with a GC applied I will try to get one posted before the day is out.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Grand Master

I found some pictures. Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12